Wheezing when running

5 messages
04/08/2012 at 12:43

Hi all

I am having problems with wheezing when running at the moment. Am not going quick - nine minute miles - and my legs can go faster but I am wheezing really badly and cannot breathe.

Any suggestions to get through this? Any other sports/exercise/stretches etc I could try to make running easier?

I have run quicker than this in the past so its very frustrating that I have to keep stopping as I cannot breathe! I'm no 6/7 minute miler but I should be running under 9 minute miles for a parkrun easy

04/08/2012 at 13:07

Seasonal hayfever type asthma? Exercise induced asthma? Minor chest infection/virus? May be a good idea to go see your doctor and ask for an appointment with an asthma nurse. Most GPs have that service one day a week.

Try a longer slower warm up before you start running fast. I have asthma, and before hard training sessions or interval/hill sessions, I really need at least a half hour of slow jogging to get me warmed up and ready to go. If I do that, I'm fine. If I don't I'm wheezing and struggling and perform really poorly through the session. I don't do 5k races, but I imagine if I did it would be the same.

And in case you're thinking 'But I don't have asthma', well, I didn't have it either - I developed it age 32. Bloody annoying.

04/08/2012 at 17:04

I agree with RWDs, most probaly EIA or seasonal hayfever, a trip to the doc's should confirm and if EIA then an inhaler will take care of the symptoms.

Best of luck!

05/08/2012 at 19:56

Thanks both I will make an appointment at the doctors. I do get hayfever and take tablets for it but it seems really bad at the moment.

05/08/2012 at 20:09

I'm asthmatic so I know how awful it can be when you have a bad wheezing spell !

Best of luck with the appointment.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.