Wheezy chest after running

7 messages
12/07/2011 at 11:31

I have noticed that I get a wheezy chest & cough a lot  after a run when I have really pushed myself either in a race or when I have done pushed myself to do a shorter fast run.  Its also particular worse running in the hot weather as it feels like I cant breathe very well at all and find myself getting quite panicky about it. I have to slow myself down and control breathing to stop it turning into a full panic attack.

The wheeziness lasts anything from a few minutes after my run to up to an hour after. I dont have asthma and havent smoked for the last 7 years so dont know what it could be. Anyone have any ideas what it is and what to do to about it?

12/07/2011 at 19:33
I am by no means an expert but I have heard there is such a thing as exercise induced asthma - it could be that. In terms of how to deal with it, I have no idea. Might be worth a trip to your gp though
12/07/2011 at 22:30
Sounds like asthma to me. Do you ever wake up at night coughing? You might have exercise induced asthma or asthma triggered by pollen/pollution? A trip to the GP is a good idea.
12/07/2011 at 22:44
I posted my own very similar thread then saw yours below! My problem gets worse once I stop though, does yours?
13/07/2011 at 17:54

Thanks for your replies. I dont have any other coughing at all its just when I'm pushing myself during a run and then lasts for up to an hour after a hard run. I did a 10 mile run today without any problems but it was at a slower pace.

I do suffer from hayfever so could be linked to that but will google excersise induced asthma to see if theres any info. I will go to my gp if its persists as I was really hoping to do some inteval training in preparation for my half marathon so hope its not going to have an effect.

LIVERBIRD    pirate
13/07/2011 at 18:10

Certainly sounds like EI asthma to me.

And I have it.

14/07/2011 at 09:29

I've googled it & the description of it does sound like what happens to me. I'm going to do some inteval training next week so will see how I feel then.

Liverbird, do you find it effects your running much and do you have an inhaler for it or do anything else to help it?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.