Wheezy when running...

5 messages
27/11/2011 at 23:00
I wonder if anyone can advise me....
I'm not particularly asthmatic, but I do own a Ventolin inhaler, as it has been known to affect me occasionally, and usually I feel like I need it once or twice once the weather changes to cold, but after a couple of runs I'm fine. This year, however, I'm continually slightly wheezy when I run (I run trails and hills), and I've also been finding that my very occasional glasses of wine have been making me wheezy too!! I've tried not to use the Ventolin too much, and not at all on runs.

I've bought myself a Nike neck warmer which covers your mouth and nose, haven't tried it yet, but apparently this might help the air hitting my lungs to warm up a bit first....but can anyone suggest anything else that might help?? I was thinking about sticking to the gym for a while, but I know I'll get really bored....

I'm not incredibly fast, but I do run a lot of hills, I'm a few pounds overweight for my liking (5'4", dress size 12 if that means anything to anyone!!) but usually my cardio fitness is really good and I do 5km, 8km or 10km fairly regularly, but I'm finding myself avoiding going out at the moment because of this. I've been swimming once a week for around an hour.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.
Fiona
28/11/2011 at 09:01

You need to go back to your GP or asthma nurse for a review. It may be that you need a preventer and/or change in your dosage. This question has been asked a few times on here. A recent one is here http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?URN=1&UTN=185059&chklast=1 The search engine on the site is crap but have a look for more answers by doing this  http://bit.ly/tU7W6l  

Edited: 28/11/2011 at 09:02
28/11/2011 at 09:01
/.
Edited: 28/11/2011 at 09:01
28/11/2011 at 10:24

Why are you not using your ventolin when you need it? That is what it is there for! I agree with Little Ninja - get yourself down to your GP or asthma nurse for a review. If you have a peak flow meter at home it would be worth taking some readings and showing them the results.

Asthma is a dynamic condition and it is not unusual for it to get better or worse for periods of time.

06/12/2011 at 11:42
Thanks, I will do.
I was trying not to use the Ventolin on advice from an asthmatic runner I know. But you're right, I should get it reviewed.
Thank you

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.