White bread

Is it really that bad for you?

21 to 36 of 36 messages
PSC    pirate
23/02/2013 at 07:18

Oh God I miss bread..... real bread, sticky, yeasty, healthy bread....  but I don't miss gluten.

23/02/2013 at 08:44

I have 6-8 slices of wholemeal a day 

hasn't done me any harm i think 

24/02/2013 at 15:08
Will try 50/50 Seren.

The odd number comes from having one slice to go with soup!
24/02/2013 at 16:15
I worked in manufacture of bread, for a reputable family owned company, it was ok till I saw how the Ingredients are presented, liquid fats to extend shelf life, brine concentrate to mix at lower temperatures additives of enzymes and Lecithin which are derived from animal and plant tissues. Not for the faint hearted, bread should be made with minimal ingredients and should not last more than 2days. Home made bread looks bad in comparison but tastes better and does not give you the bloated feeling of processed bread.
25/02/2013 at 11:51

RK - ditto what others have said about the 50/50 loaves - think Warburtons and Hovis do them?

Other nice white bread which you can get from a bakery and are very nice include a tiger loaf and milk loaf - nice when you fancy a change from every day bread.

Have you tried alternatives like muffins, crumpets and scones for the weekend? Nice every now and then. Muffins go well with eggs too

25/02/2013 at 13:37
Each to their own if you want your fresh baked bread that goes stale the next day but there is nothing wrong with longer life bread. The additives do their job and have no risk to health. I buy a 50/50 loaf most weeks and occasionally a fresh loaf and even sometimes make my own.
25/02/2013 at 14:57

I don't eat much bread but bake my own sourdough and that easily lasts up to a week with no crap in it. I agree that it's not ideal for a chip butty though.

26/02/2013 at 00:03

Bread doesn't "go off" until it's got lumps of mould growning on it, who cares if it's stale? The best bread to buy is in supermarkets at the end of the day, you can get an 800g loaf for 14p, enough cals for a whole day, apart from scrumping I can't think of a cheaper way to live. 98p for a whole weeks food.

26/02/2013 at 22:22

If salt was removed from processed bread, we would save 4000 strokes a year.

26/02/2013 at 22:35
The salt in bread in the uk has been reduced by a third in the past 10 years apparently.

http://www.foodnavigator.com/Science-Nutrition/CASH-recognises-bread-industry-efforts-on-salt-reduction
26/02/2013 at 22:36
But then it would taste like shite, people would use extra salt and those prone to stokes would die anyway, absolute bollocks
26/02/2013 at 23:07

It would taste shite. That's why I avoid bread completely!

27/02/2013 at 09:02
Well done Torchy. You will now live forever.
27/02/2013 at 09:57

I love bread in particular, but also pasta, rice and noodles, but after happening across the book summarised in the link below I had a bash at the eating plan. It's counter-intuitive to everything we get told about carbing up, but having tried it I now don't carb-load before running and don't have breakfast - was amazed at the results - no 'wall hittiing' or bonking etc.

Just an alternative view..........the book is well worth a read. You can train your body to burn fat (plentiful in may case) in endurance activities instead of glycogen, making carb intake less necessary. The effects of processed carbs on the body outlined in the book are fascinating too (insulin spikes, water retention, fat stroes etc). I also lost 10kg in a couple of months without once feeling hungry and without changing my training regime

http://www.trainingbible.com/pdf/Paleo_for_Athletes_Cliff_Notes.pdf

.....I still love fresh bread though, and use a long runa s an excuse to replenish with a bloody big bacon sarnie....

27/02/2013 at 23:35

I eat the cheapest food possible, I don't care if it's carbs or whatever, but carbs tend to be cheaper. Besides the paleo diet is nonsense, if anyone truly followed it they would only eat seasonal, local food, or what they could gather and store naturally. 

You'd lose a lot of weight.

28/02/2013 at 09:16

Exactly - which is why the book referenced above is modified paleo (you'd need a form of OCD to follow a pure paleo plan, and no life).

It's not carbs that are the problem. it's the type of carbs (modified vs unmodified). As an overweight runner, the weight loss is a good thing given an approx 10 min gain over marathon distance for every half a stone lost. Still, we're all 'an experiment of one', so if cheap mouldy bread works for you, go for it.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 36 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.