White bread

Is it really that bad for you?

1 to 20 of 36 messages
22/02/2013 at 06:35
I don't eat a lot of bread - say 5 slices a week. Whilst I prefer whole meal seeded bread I find myself going to the loaf and its gone past edible as I don't eat it enough. Therefore tend to end up not buying and eating the families white bread (kids don't like whoemeal). Is white bread, in that quantities, really that bad for you nutritionally?
22/02/2013 at 08:41

If you have bread in the house that lasts for several days and is still apparently edible..... you have to ask what's in it to keep it so 'fresh'.

I think there is bread and there is bread.  Some are made with a few ingredients and some are processed to death and made with lots more.  I know which I would chose and personally I am more satisfiedd with a chunk of rough artisan bread than a few slices of plastic pretend bread - white OR wholemeal.  I honestly don't think that the difference to your health from white or wholemeal is huge but  I don't buy the white fluffy plastic stuff because the kids eat it like candy.... which says it all I think.

22/02/2013 at 08:48

On the whole I think white bread is kind of neutral. It's pretty bland stuff and there isn't that much in it to make it either good or bad, although bread baked daily by a baker is going to have fewer preservatives than supermarket bread wrapped in plastic. 

I'm not sure 5 slices a week would make much difference either way though. 

22/02/2013 at 08:56

why not keep your bread in the freezer then just defrost a slice when you want some? I generally don't even buy white bread and the family have to eat what I buy! The kids have been brought up on wholemeal so they don't complain

22/02/2013 at 09:10

Good point mathschick, especially if it's for toast - and it sounds like it might be from what you say.

22/02/2013 at 10:08
mathschick wrote (see)

why not keep your bread in the freezer then just defrost a slice when you want some? I generally don't even buy white bread and the family have to eat what I buy! The kids have been brought up on wholemeal so they don't complain

+1 for that. We just normally end up with dozens of frozen crusts!

22/02/2013 at 10:10

We keep our bread in the freezer as we only use it for toast and it's absalutely fine. I'm more intrigued by the thought that someone eats an odd number of slices at a time. I always thought bread should be eaten in pairs of slices (for a sandwich, or 2 slices of toast). The thought of eating it in odd multiples confuses me... is that just me?

22/02/2013 at 10:11

All things in moderation is old-fashioned, but correct...

22/02/2013 at 10:49

@penguingirl, it's not just you, but it's still a weird idea!

I quite often have one piece of toast, especially if it's for dipping in a nice runny egg!

22/02/2013 at 12:08

If it's only five slices a week, I don't think it will matter whether it's white or brown.

I often have only one slice, for toast.

22/02/2013 at 12:43
Is white bread bad for you? No. Wholemeal can be better for you but you have to look at your diet as a whole no just a few slices of bread.
22/02/2013 at 12:55
Sophisticated?Sophisticated? I've been to Leeds!!!!
22/02/2013 at 12:59
www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=z0X0222Iwhk
Edited: 22/02/2013 at 13:00
Dustboy    pirate
22/02/2013 at 20:10

We make it in a breadmaker, no preservatives, when we can. I don't get on with bread as a rule and I can't use it for carb loading as it just leaves me wiped out but the home made stuff, far less so.

So, I guess, like a lot of things, it's what goes in it. Ours goes stale in a day or so, as it should.

With bacon and cheese baked into the bread, it's orsum.

22/02/2013 at 20:26
If you choose to eat bread try and buy REAL bread ie flour, water, salt, yeast made with a long slow ferment rather than the 50p economy stuff even the branded bread is full of rubbish like anti-fungals, flour 'improvers' sugar, oil so it can be pumped out industrially at super duper fast rates.

Its my guess as to why so many peoples are gluten intolerant these days.
22/02/2013 at 21:30

But there are times when only the cheap cotton wool white bread will do. Like for chip or fish finger or egg butties.

22/02/2013 at 22:22
Yeah Muttley but the trouble is that William guesses that it's bad for you. They should put a warning on the bread that some people guess it can cause gluten intolerance.
22/02/2013 at 22:29

personally i prefer seeded bread but one of my girls only likes super bleached fluffy bread  - *sigh* lol  i let her as she eats my meals of veg overloading, pulses and seeds. 

we freeze bread the other girl often eats 1 bit  - this also frustrates me  - 

more frustrating is her freind who is staying  this w/end and doesn't eat spicy stuff  - wth!!  or cheesecake ? 

22/02/2013 at 22:50
I eat bread in huge quantities. I went through a period of eating only wholemeal but realised life is too short, so I'm back on the white sourdough. Occasionally I go on go the hard stuff that has been cut with fats, flour improvers and other guff. A little of this mass produced Chorlywood processed cottonwool won't hurt. I fancy a chip buttie now.
seren nos    pirate
23/02/2013 at 06:47

I eat bread in huge quantiities...and white plastic bread and butter is gorgeous....i could eat a whole loaf........prefer it to chocolate or bisuits.......

kev...i got my kids over to the 50/50 stuff........obviously not as good as homemade seededed granary with linseed and soya  etc etc etc.............but i think it must be better than the plain white stuff

1 to 20 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.