Worrying HR

21 to 34 of 34 messages
26/02/2013 at 16:37

15th of april for appointment, I won't be stopping training but at least it will be before first marathon attempt may7th. So hopefully I'll survive before big effort.

I don't think there will be any problems but who knows, nothing to lose getting it checked.

26/02/2013 at 16:41

Seth stop worrying, I promise you a week ago I had the same spike as you did about a half mile into my run, and Im still alive ..... (although some on here would wish I wasnt lol)

26/02/2013 at 19:43

What do you mean stop worrying? The Dr refered me, shall I tell him some bloke on the internet told me I'm ok so I won't bother with his recomendation.

Someone asked when the appoinment was so I answered.

27/02/2013 at 23:00
LMAO!
27/02/2013 at 23:07

seth i get the impression that the doctor is going to diagnose you with a severe case of hypochondria. guarantee u that you will be fine. mate im on your side here. put the defensive wall down.

28/02/2013 at 12:29

I don't think it's hypochondria to play it safe and obviously your doctor doesn't think so either. Comments like that are partly the reason that 50% of cancers are detected first by A&E doctors when the patient attends for an unrelated reason - people consistently say things like they didn't want to 'bother' the doctors if it was nothing and that they didn't want to 'waste the doctors' time'.Then they leave a perfectly treatable early stage cancer until it's too late to do anything with.

And some doctors CAN make you feel like that. I remember going to my own doc age 27 with a huge lump in my armpit. Didn't think it was breast cancer but also didn't want to not get it looked at and die of reticence! Before even looking at it the doctor said 'Don't be silly, you've not got breast cancer.' I was like, 'Do you know how many under 30s die of breast cancer every year? Do you think some of them maybe got THIS response from their doctor and that's why they ended up dying? Now bloody LOOK at it before you tell me it isn't cancer!' And of course it wasn't cancer, but that's not the point.

28/02/2013 at 12:44
runs-with-dogs wrote (see)

And of course it wasn't cancer, but that's not the point.

Ummm, OK .........

28/02/2013 at 16:02

Defensive wall Dave, You're telling me to ignore the advice of my Dr, be serious.

Just because I'm a hypochondriac doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with my heart.

28/02/2013 at 16:12
Seth 1972 wrote (see)

Defensive wall Dave, You're telling me to ignore the advice of my Dr, be serious.

Just because I'm a hypochondriac doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with my heart.

Ok but promise me you'll tell me what the Dr says, even if its all good news .... which it will be.

Would you like me to dig up my garmin reading from a few weeks ago, its pretty much a replica of yours. These things happen from time to time. Nothing wrong with your ticker.

K80
28/02/2013 at 16:21

That's lucky Seth, managing to get an expedited heart check appointment in 2 months.

You'll be able to train hard for your marathon mean time and be ready for tapering after your appointment

01/03/2013 at 12:00

I have a heart rate watch which I use for training purposes. I regularly do circuits and find that after the warm up my heart rate is 160-170 and goes up to 180-190 during the harder elements of exercise. I did insanity and my heart rate was from the outset 190+ and I could feel it, so I controlled my breathing more and did less. What I'm saying is your heart will often go int oa higher zone and level off when starting exercise - it's because of the fight or flight response. I wouldn't worry. If you get pain or really short of breath then stop. 

01/03/2013 at 16:18

I saw my GP today and he said that because of some minor fluctuation in the ECG and because of the medication I'm on (venelafaxine) were the reason he thought it best to refere me. Although he said nearly everyone who is checked by the cardiologist has nothing requiring further treatment. He is happy for me to continue training as hard as I like.

Yes k80, I think my GP is very good.

Mel, my HR monitor recorded values of up to 218bpm, I'm 40 years old. Either it's wrong or I am.

Dave of course I'll report back and hopefully you are right.

15/04/2013 at 19:40

Well I went to see the cardiologist at the hospital today and I'm pleased to report that Professor falconer was right, why did I bother going eh?

They did a thorough job, an ultra sound to measure my heart and all its parts, another ecg and I also did a test on the tread mill called a Bruce protocol. I did 15 mins which showed a 180 HR which is where they stopped. Shame I would have liked a complete HR max test. But good thing is my HR went up as it should.

15/04/2013 at 19:52

Im always right . but dont worry it will take another 3 weeks before I convince some other people on here

Isnt that right Screamapillar and Seren Nos?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 34 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.