wrong shoes or weedy legs?

3 messages
09/10/2002 at 12:57
I started running in August and after a gentle programme of run/walk I'm now up to 20 minutes a day (yippee!), five times a week. I take things really slowly, but once I was running for 15 mins the muscle above my knee on my right leg felt awful. I wasn't sure if this was 'normal' wear and tear of 44 year old legs unaccustomed to exercise, or if it was my shoes (Mizuno Wave Riders, as recommended by a running shop after seeing me jog up and down the street). Over the past week I've been running in a pair of Reebok shoes (not sure of the model, but they're more cushioned than the Wave Riders) and my right leg has been much better. I may be asking the obvious, but do you guys think it's a shoe problem or just my legs getting used to a new way of life??
09/10/2002 at 15:17
Meerkat,I find my Wave Riders really comfortable so maybe it is down to getting fit, and that can take a surprisingly long time for us fourty somethings. Perhaps if you give the Mizunos another try you'll get the answer.
09/10/2002 at 16:16
Thanks, Wurzel. That sounds sensible and hopeful, both for the old legs and the Wave Riders, which I've been very happy with so far. I'll give them another go this evening.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.