Yoga without teh spiritual bit?

8 messages
15/10/2002 at 14:27
Hi

I need to improve the flexibility and stretch in my legs, (and generally), and whilst I respect the physical effects of yoga I really dislike the spiritual and relaxation aspects. Does anyone know of a form of yoga or an alternative that gives the results but doesn't involve lying down and meditating for 10 minutes or repeating Om?

Thanks

Julian

(I've nothing against the whole meditation bit, it just isn't me.)
15/10/2002 at 14:29
If its more the actual stretching etc rather then the relaxtion side, isn't pilates supposed to be good in that kind of way too? Could be wirth finding out about - never done it personally, as I actually enjoy the relaxation side of Yoga.

Good luck!
15/10/2002 at 14:59
try a yoga book or video then you can just do the stretches /poses without the relaxation/spiritual bit - most of it is now quite diluted and westernised -its whatever you want it to be - sorted out my dodgy hip and groin!
15/10/2002 at 15:03
From what I have been told by many people in the Know is that Pilates is much better for strengthining core muscle groups than Yoga. Where is Veolociraptor ? She should know ?
15/10/2002 at 15:09
My health club does "body balance" which is a mix of Yoga, Pilates and (I think) Alexander technique. Pretty non-om stuff.
15/10/2002 at 15:35
I agree - Pilates and Body Balance are both very good ways of improving flexibility and stability without flirting with oriental religions. Would love to have time to do one or other regularly myself, whereas I feel quite uncomfortable with the idea of yoga.
15/10/2002 at 16:25
Got a pilates video & manual earlier this year & I'm still looking for a neutral position and a pelvic something or other. Time to take a lesson or 2 methinks as my flexibility is quite poor.
15/10/2002 at 20:50
Thanks for that. I think my wifes gym do a Pilates class so I'll steal a pass and give it a go. Body balance I'm not so sure about but there's bound to be one around here somewhere.

Julian

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.