Idea 1: Editable reviews

Make it so you can edit your review later?

13 messages
20/10/2005 at 21:38
Hi everyone...

Back in the main review system thread, Stepford Wife suggested that it would be a good idea to be able to edit your review of a given product after you have posted it.

What do others think?

Is this a good idea? A bad idea? Important? How important vs. other ideas?

How would we do this - you could edit it at any time? Keep a list of them in your member pages (the system does this for latest 5 reviews I think).

Any thoughts on this idea?

Thanks,

Jeremy
20/10/2005 at 22:44
It's a must. I just had a go at adding some reviews only to find I was reviewing the wrong product! I think just make it editable for a few hours afterwards and that'll be fine.
20/10/2005 at 22:56
I suppose if it was editable for some time afterwards then you could update it as the piece of gear wore in/out. What might start as a great piece of gear but wears out really quickly is the kind of problem I'd like to see flagged. And the converse is true. This might affect the way you rate value for money for instance.
20/10/2005 at 23:36
Interesting...

Mrs Overall, and Stepford Wife...

So should we have editing only open for a few hours, or is it important to be able to change a review after some months.

Surely everything wears out and we'd just be inviting negative comment as kit runs out of it's natural life?

Also should we indicate when it was last edited? First submitted? Should the comment be added ON TOP (as an extra comments)? Or should it literally be edit the old content fields? I guess this acheives different things.

J
21/10/2005 at 08:15
A rugby site I used to go on would allow editing of your own additions for 24 hours. I'd imagine that, if you need to change your review after more than a few days, there's not much point as so many people would have read it (and you should have noticed sooner!). There was also a limit on how many times you could change the one item, i.e once only. This stopped anyone messing around. It would also comment "Edited by xxxxx on (date)" so that people could see that it had been altered.
21/10/2005 at 08:31
I think editing typos for a few hours afterwards would be a good feature. Gareth makes a good point about limiting number of changes, too.

The kind of extra information I'm interested in is more than something just coming to the end of its life - or at least people being able to comment on how long that life was. This will enable reviewers after say, six months, to comment on how well stuff stands up to real usage.

For instance, I've got two pairs of shorts I've had for years. One pair has been worn more than the other - they're still going and I'd rate them as amazing VFM and I'd get another pair. The others were also comfy and good to run in but but haven't lasted as long and I'd buy the other brand before getting another pair of these. But that's not the sort of stuff you know when you write the initial review.

But, yes, this could be made as an additional comment rather than changing the first review - then we'd have first impressions and later observations to back that up.
21/10/2005 at 10:56
Gareth - nice idea on the keeping a record on the time and fact it had been edited.

Stepford Wife - ok - so to allow the how it wore after 6 months we'd need to keep it open for an extended period. Is that a consensus?

J

21/10/2005 at 11:47
This is an absolute "Must have".

I've just reviewed the Saucony Fastwitch Endurance. Absolutely loved them - great racing all season, then went to clean up the soles Monday last week - 6 days before a mara to find tears in the fabric just above the midsole. Only used them for 224 miles, but was told they'd be good for 400-500 when I bought (in the Saucony shop in the US)! They're so comfortable that I got a new pair, ran 1 x 5 and 1 x 7 last week and then used them for the mara with no major issues.

Without the ability to update, nobody would be aware of this, and my review of the product today is different to my perceived experience just 11 days ago. I've noted in the review that I've returned the product to Saucony, but it would be good to add an update once I get their response.

Maybe one way that you could incorporate some of this functionality is to have an "alerts" list on a product, like with shares:- XYZ Inc - Broker downgrade from Market Perform to Underperform

i.e. Saucony Fastwitch Endurance - S3oB product value upgrade from "Good" to "Great"

for example if Saucony say they'll replace this pair as there was a manufacturing defect, or maybe my 2nd pair last longer and I think it's a one-off.

Similarly had issues with a Polar S625x SDM - worked fine for 6 months, now just sent it back for the 3rd time in 4 months with a "fix or else" ultimatum.
21/10/2005 at 12:48
S3ob - Righto - well it certainly seems like a popular idea. I've put it into the development document.

Jeremy
21/10/2005 at 17:27
"Only used them for 224 miles"

is that precisely or approximately?? and have you rounded up/down to nearest whole number??

:O))
21/10/2005 at 19:25
Certainly would help, especially for the fat fingered ones amonst us, half the time you dont notice mistakes until you see them in print after you have hit the submit button....

So an edit facility would be excellent..
25/10/2005 at 12:44
I agree it would be useful to be able to update reviews. Would then make sense for your reviews to be bookmarked as "My Reviews" with "My pages"
25/10/2005 at 18:32
Hello Fat Buddha - there's an idea - must be possible to build a very lightweight pedometer into a pair of shoes these days, then you could give it a very simple calibration (like setting the wheel diameter on a £9 cycle computer), and have a simple led readout with the mileage that pair of shoes has done. Ha - must run and patent that. No pun intended!

RFJ - ok - we've decided we're going to roll with this project. I'm busy writing up the spec based on the ideas in this thread.

Julian - Yep - we're going to build the edit your review feature in. On your other ideas - we implemented them just this afternoon (they've been in production a while, but only surfaced a couple of hours ago).

Here's a link to your My Reviews page.

And here's an example of someone else's (you can look at everyone else's reviews). In this instance it's S3OB's my reviews page. (Note how you can also check out what S3OB is saying in the forum, and what races they have voted on etc.

When you look at your own you'll get a different view of the page from the view someone else gets of your page if they are looking at the same URL. Ie the system senses if it's you looking at your own page (shows different nav, and presentations etc) or someone else looking at your public profile. That's part of the magic.

On your second idea (sort of - not sure if this is exactly what you mean?) - we've now added the ability to bookmark other people's reviews you like the look of within your "My pages". Here's a link to your "My Bookmarks" page. You can add any products you like into this personal store (alongside any articles, forum threads, events etc. as you cruise around the side). Again the view you get of this page is different from the view you get of someone else's My Bookmarks. So you can look at any other members bookmarks of pages (products, articles, events, forum discussions etc) that THEY liked within the site. (For privacy reasons, clearly we also enable every reader to control whether or not they want to publish and share their set of bookmarks with the rest of the readers or not).

I hope that all makes sense.

Any other ideas and comments on the system are most welcome - we're right at that stage when we can make a useful difference to the system based on what everyone here thinks of it.

Jeremy

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
13 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.