My #asics262 journey to Paris: Sub-3 Roger

Asics year they 26.2 2014 journey

1 to 20 of 761 messages
12/12/2013 at 06:02
Hi, this is the beginning of my journey. The first steps toward my goal of the so far elusive sub 3.00 hour marathon. I am trying to tread carefully, listen to the advice of the expert team and be more aware, conscious and cognitive, cos usually I am like a bull in a china shop. Charge out and run without the thought or necessary planning and reflection. I have completely messed up my taper twice and my pacing twice. All that training, 55 mile weeks only to stumble at the last hurdle. This time will be different. Watch this space......
12/12/2013 at 06:04

Good luck! Will watch your journey with interest as I too would like to run a sub 3 hour marathon - but that ain't ever gonna happen! 

12/12/2013 at 06:30
Thanks Minni ill do my best. I am abut of a newbee to forums so please forgive my lack of forum etiquette. I am a fast learner.
12/12/2013 at 09:07

Roger - massive congratulations on making the final 5. I'll be looking for hints and tips too as you are the speedster of the group.

Look forward to meeting you properly on Saturday.

Minni wrote (see)

Good luck! Will watch your journey with interest as I too would like to run a sub 3 hour marathon - but that ain't ever gonna happen! 

I have a large sum of money sitting with Ladbrokes that says otherwise so get your finger out!

12/12/2013 at 09:54

Hi Roger.  Congratulations on making the Paris 5!  I am looking forward to seeing your paln, purely out of curiosity, to see what it takes to run at such a ridiculous pace for such a long time!

I am sure you are fed up with people stating that you should smash the 3 hour mark with your previous form, but like everyone else it is about getting to be as fast as you can whether that is sub 3, 2.45 or even faster?!

12/12/2013 at 09:55

Congratulations Roger!

Look forward to following your journey!! One day I might be sub-3 ... one day!!!

12/12/2013 at 18:51
Runnyrunrun. Thanks. I wish you luck on achieving that challenge
12/12/2013 at 19:07

Hi Roger - congratulations on getting through!

Last years Sub 3er AW was in the same position having struggled to get under the magic mark. He told me your shorter distance times are quicker than his were before he followed Steve Smythe's coaching and he smashed 3 hours (2:53 I think, but he can correct me if I'm wrong). 

Good luck - I will be following and supporting you all the way

A.W
12/12/2013 at 19:30

Hi Roger,

First off congratulations and good luck with the coming months of training! 

DS2 - Yes thats right, 5k was only 18.28 (I did run 18.04 in the time trial at bootcamp though) and 10k was 37.58. I was quicker over HM though. I made big jumps with Steve's help and training. 

A.W
13/12/2013 at 07:12
Hi Guys, great to have you on board. This is going to be great fun. I did read the articles about last years 26.2 and watched some vids. I'll have to go back and catch up again. Thanks for the support.
13/12/2013 at 07:21

Morning roger, congrats on getting through. will look forward to following your journey. Might put sub 3 on my Xmas list for 2016... In my dreams.

See you Sat.

J

13/12/2013 at 08:42
Thanks James, always good to have big dreams;) see you Saturday
13/12/2013 at 11:55
Hey Roger, congrats on being picked for the asics 26.2. I am doing London and will be interested to see what your training looks like. I did try and follow A.W's lat year but it didn't really happen! How many miles do you in a normal week at the moment? It would be interesting to see what base mileage you're starting from. I really want to break the 3 hour barrier but I have to shave off 3 minutes not just the one like you! Good luck for the coming months!
13/12/2013 at 12:54

Hi Stan, First of all good luck, I am sure 3 minutes isn't too much if you put in the time, I am coming from a fairly good level of fitness, off the back of the Man v mountain, a tough 20 mile (actually turned out to be 23 according to my Garmin) adventure race up and down Mt Snowdon in September. I have kept up shorter stuff usually 1-2 10 mile runs at 7.00 - 715 pace, I started doing some cross-training in the form of 20-30 mile off road mountain bike rides to break it up a bit, 2- 3 of those a week, a bit of cross country races and mens health (oops I allowed to mention a competitors mag) 10k obstacle race at battersea. I love to race and the coaches will probably tell me I do too many races! I tend to do a hard interval session with a sub 3 group on a Wednesday night with my running club, this is usually 10-11+ miles of demanding intervals that build in the lead up to the marathon,tough but fun. This may all change after Saturday, I will keep you posted

14/12/2013 at 07:51

Enjoy today Roger! Looking forward to reading all about it!

14/12/2013 at 07:55
Thanks DS2, I am really looking forward to it.
14/12/2013 at 08:53

Just saw a Roger Read finish the London survival event on channel 4. Would that have been you?

15/12/2013 at 09:47

Congratulations Roger. I'll follow with interest since I'm also gunning for sub 3, but at London rather than Paris. Our PBs are very similar, except for 5k where you absolutely whoop my ass! 

A.W
15/12/2013 at 18:45

How did yesterday go Roger, hope you had a good day at store day and a good meet with Steve? Whats the outline for the coming months training?

A.W
16/12/2013 at 11:02

Roger is now hopefully all kitted out. We briefly went through his training in coming months which will largely be based on RW's sub-3 schedule. Roger's work causes a few adjustments and the club session he likes to do on Wednesday also causes a few scheduling problems.  

Roger's 5km speed is excellent and suggests sub-3 should be very achievable but his half-marathon, while sufficient for sub-3 doesn't suggest so much in hand but hopefully that HM PB can be reduced in the build up.

1 to 20 of 761 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.