2:59 pacer dropout

What happened to the pacer?

1 to 20 of 45 messages
22/04/2013 at 11:20

I felt like a massive kick in the nuts when the pacer I was following dropped out after about 19 miles.  I managed to squeak in under 3 hours, but the mental effort of working out what pace I needed over the final few miles was almost too much.  Anyone know what happened to him?

22/04/2013 at 11:31

Yes, apparently he took a fall at that point and took the decision to not carry on as he would not make the target time. Well done on your sub 3!

22/04/2013 at 11:36

Ahhh my family said they saw a sub 3 pacer looking recked! he was still running but had removed his flag. They said he was still running!

22/04/2013 at 11:41

It's Dan A from the sub-3 thread. Had a fall as has been stated. He couldnt maintain pace following that so decided to stop rather than folk following him and coming in at 3'03 or whatever. He's a 2'45 runner too so fall aside he'd have been completely fine!

I think another of the sub-3 pacers did finish (in 2'59'xx) but depended on which start you were on, chip/gun time etc.So wise to do your own thing. And well done on keeping it together to get your time - great stuff!

22/04/2013 at 11:42

Some of the pacers I think went off way too quick, and I don't know how many were successful in the end. Really alarming was the sub 3.30 pacer off the red start - I could see him / her on the other side of the road around the 5k marks as the red merges with the blue/green - he/she must have gone through 5k in around 22.30 on the clock, so probably sub 22 on chip time. That's 3 minutes faster than a 3.30 marathon pace which is just suicidal so early in the race. I don't remember passing him/her later on so assume they finished before me (3.16) or not at all. 

I was running around 3.15 pace until about 20 miles and didn't see a 3.15 pacer at all except one near the start who was a little ahead of me. I passed one of them on Bird Cage Walk who would have come in a minute maybe after me, judging from his pace at that point.  No idea whether the others were ahead or behind me, but given my pacing I'm surprised I didn't see them at some stage.

Shame about the sub 3 pacer taking a fall....but I guess you have to be in overall control of your own pace as they can never be a guarantee.  SD - great to get the sub 3!

22/04/2013 at 11:47

To be fair to Dan his pacing was exemplary. I didn't run this year so was at home tracking folk. Dan was one I was following. When he dropped out I think it was predicitng him a 2'59'4x finish time and his 5k splits up to that point had been very very consistent. Hence why Simon could keep the pace and bag his sub-3 I guess!

22/04/2013 at 11:51

LS21 - that is definitely very good pacing...perfect in fact. Maybe he should do the 3.30 next year -  I really hope no one wanting that time on the red start went with the pacer - I couldn't believe it when I saw the flag up ahead of me at 5k.

22/04/2013 at 11:55
Freemers wrote (see)

Some of the pacers I think went off way too quick, and I don't know how many were successful in the end. Really alarming was the sub 3.30 pacer off the red start - I could see him / her on the other side of the road around the 5k marks as the red merges with the blue/green - he/she must have gone through 5k in around 22.30 on the clock, so probably sub 22 on chip time. That's 3 minutes faster than a 3.30 marathon pace which is just suicidal so early in the race. I don't remember passing him/her later on so assume they finished before me (3.16) or not at all. 

People get very confused because pacers go from all 3 starts, and all cross the line at very different times. You went from a different start, so impossible to accurately comment on speed of pacer. I have just checked the red-3.30 pacers splits and he went through the 5k mark at 24:56.

It can get quite confusing. eg, I was taking 3:56 from red, and passed the blue 4:30 after 6 miles and blue 4:15 some time after that too.

22/04/2013 at 11:55

People who are pacers must be nuts. I would never want that responsibility. Hardly any thanks and you can imagine people will be all over you if you mess it up.

22/04/2013 at 11:58

Oh and for the opening poster - Dan is the bloke behind the Xempo stuff (the colour-coded tops based on your Mara times). So if you ran with him for 19 miles you could always celebrate/say 'thanks' at the same time by getting one of those lovely red 'Sub-3' Mara tops that he flogs.

I'm not his agent by the way!! Just a friend - but he's a top bloke and did a great job yesterday (falling over aside that is....) Not bad though I suppose, after a full week working at the Expo as well.

Edited: 22/04/2013 at 11:59
22/04/2013 at 12:00
It must be really hard for them to get going at the start if you are right in the middle of the pack. Then to have to speed up to get back on track. I have a lot of respect for them. Not sure I would want that responsibility. .
22/04/2013 at 12:01
 I have just checked the red-3.30 pacers splits and he went through the 5k mark at 24:56.

..where did you get this info from?

BTW a 3:30 pacer went past me early on and I thought he was ahead of schedule (since I was on for 3:30 myself and ahead of schedule at that moment).. but over the next few miles we seemed to sync quite nicely and I went past him in the final quarter to finish in 3:28

22/04/2013 at 12:01

You have to be able to pace yourself - as Simon found, things happen!

I would never rely on a pacer - I might run with one (I haven't done so so far), but I'd be keeping a close eye on the pace for myself, too.

22/04/2013 at 12:03

apologies for quoted and original text being wrong way round in above post

22/04/2013 at 12:05

from his runners number (and the results page), which I won't publish as not sure he is a) a member of this forum or b) whether he wants his name effecively plastered over the internet!

22/04/2013 at 12:07
Millsy1977 wrote (see)
It must be really hard for them to get going at the start if you are right in the middle of the pack. Then to have to speed up to get back on track. I have a lot of respect for them. Not sure I would want that responsibility. .

It is a lot of fun, and 99% of people are very appreciative,  but it is very hard work given how busy VLM is / lots of congestion and can get a bit stressful! (Especially when you turn an ankle on a bottle. Not amused...!)

22/04/2013 at 12:07

ok.. where's the results page? the link I have only has results up to 2012

22/04/2013 at 12:08

ok, ignore above post, thanks anyway

22/04/2013 at 12:09
22/04/2013 at 12:09
I stepped on a bottle too. Was very lucky not to do any damage.
1 to 20 of 45 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.