3 Runs Per Week Schedule

Successful?

1,401 to 1,420 of 1,521 messages
10/04/2012 at 11:39

Comfy but lacking in support!  I'll try the rest of my training runs in the new and see what happens.

EF, hope you survive the cold!  Shouldn't have tempted fate

I've just gone through my splits for my 8*800s last Thursday and the pace of those was generally slower than my race at the weekend - admittedley, they were in to the wind and the icy rain was lashing down and I was on my own.  Still just goes to show how I react to the excitement of a race!!  

Happy tapering, we're almost there!!!

10/04/2012 at 14:39

Hi Reikirabbit

I'm sure we had a discussion about cross training during taper two years ago on this forum and there was no real consensus. What I do is taper cross training volume about the same percentage as I taper running volume, but keep intensity.  I guess you should just do what will get you to the starting line with that happy balance of reduced fatuige but maintained fitness......

Great PB FH. Hope you sort out the wardrobe issues. I have to say, I'd be tempted to go for the shoes I was sure about (as long as they don't have loads of mileage in them!)

EF is it still snowing in Scotland?! Crikey thats bad luck. Lets hope it warms up (just a tad) for London or I'll be a bit chilly in my club vest on race day.

5 x 1k today felt almost good.

10/04/2012 at 16:04
Interesting the difference - today for me is 3 x 1600m. I hate that one more! Loathe the really long reps.

Sun's out now. WTH?
11/04/2012 at 08:56
OOf a hard one last night. 8 mile tempo tonight then just a ten miler at the weekend and it's a proper taper after that. This doesn't feel that much like tapering right now.

I'd wear the shoes I was sure about too. Says the woman who doesn't know what shorts or socks she's going to wear.
11/04/2012 at 09:50

Ha, that's the great thing about advice, we know what's right and will quite happily pass on these wise words, you just don't quite believe enough to put it into action for yourself

Out in the hail with friends yesterday for 4*5 mins!  7 miles in total.  Your tempo is also longer as I've only got to do 6 miles this week, with a mere 2 at maximum effort, followed by 10 at my optimistic marathon pace at the weekend.  I'm excited now!!!

11/04/2012 at 19:23

I'm on holiday from my normal sedentary job and am quite knackered with life away from the desk.

I've plugged all the data into my Amstrad CPC464 which has worked out that a week of impromptu beach cricket, touch rugby (with 8 and 6 year old adversaries) and country walks plus three courses at lunch, are EXACTLY equal to one cross-training session.

Result.

11/04/2012 at 20:21
A result indeed

8 miles in pishing rain done. 8.13 pace. Think it was supposed to be 8.30 pace as it is meant to be target mara pace so all good.
14/04/2012 at 21:37
Woo hoo tapertastic. 10 miles - all done in 1.20 dead. Ave 8.05 pace. Got bus back up the hill home spent rest of day gardening which is why it has just snowed again.

Need to decide on target pace. Am tempted to try 8.20 but I am notorious for training better than I race.

Daughter complaining of sore throat. I'm sniffly. Nooooo! I'm letting hubby deal with Lou and I am putting sniffles down to hay fever due to gardening. I'm still popping vitamin c like there's no tomorrow mind.
15/04/2012 at 09:16
Echinacea is good! And if you are really serious about not coming down with something, put a big spoon of garlic and ginger paste into a mug, add the juice of one lemon and boiling water ....works every time.

Did a PArkRun two miles from house yesterday morning, almost a PB in the PR, off for a slow 10 miles after the Paris marathon on tele. Was also expecting a delivery from Tesco but they called to say their system had crashed so they couldn't make it, like EVER!!! I did offer to read out the transcript of my order but they weren't terribly interested in that option!

Thought I was being efficient!
15/04/2012 at 10:07

HB - children are definitely an all round workout!!! 

RR we all know that customer service is a thing of the past, but nice try though!!  I need to get out for 10 at MP and am procrastinating ... on the plus side the sun is shining ... but there is a slight breeze ...

EF, hope you manage to keep that cold at bay and as for times, have a look back over your training, you may well be in better shape than you thought and if all your runs have been consistently quicker (which it seems to me, from what you've posted, is the case) then perhaps you have underestimated your current potential.  I'm not a good one to comment because I'll always start off at my most optimistic goal pace and will need to hang on towards the end but I still think this gets me a quicker overall time.  All the proper advice would be to start conservatively and push from 20 miles if you think you have it in you.  Make sure you get you strategy sorted before you get to the start line - indecision will not help ;-)

15/04/2012 at 13:16
It was blowing a gale out there but 10 miles in the bag. Not @ MP but that would have been silly for me anyway.
15/04/2012 at 13:27

Not a steady MP effort for the 10 today and average pace was a little bit quicker than I meant but I thought I had to make up for 3 slower miles in the middle and hammered the last couple.  I know, I missed the point of the run, still I know where I went wrong and I'm determined to work on mental strength and discipline before I get to the start!  Barring any major blow up, this time next week it will all be over!!

15/04/2012 at 13:50
I should be finishing around about NOW!!!
15/04/2012 at 13:58

Followed by the chip removal, finisher photo, baggage collection and walk to horseguards, back on the tube, finally a bath and a cup of tea!!!

15/04/2012 at 14:20
Oh my brother makes me walk around for 5 hours after!
15/04/2012 at 14:32
rather you than me!!!  I begrudge the walk to the tube .  I'm feeling a touch sleepy just after today's little jaunt!!
15/04/2012 at 14:59

Hi

good efforts everyone.

My MP run today was a shade quicker than it should have been as well. I would have decribed it as a "fairly aggressive" MP effort. Felt easier than last week and was slightly faster. 5:56min/mile average giving an unofficial 10 mile PB. (I have never raced a 10miler before)

Like FH, I need to be more diciplined in a week's time. I am determine to set off at a more conservative pace and avoid the usual marked slow down in the final 2 miles - we shall see!!

just 6 x 400  then a piffling 3 miles at MP to go!!

We'll be on the train back home by now this time next week if all oes well.

World fastests Paula Radcliffe and Moses Mosop struggled today in their respective races.....

15/04/2012 at 15:02

oh my marathon shoes have developed a tiny hole in the upper today and I'm not sure whether to wear them ot get a new pair for next week. My only other shoes a properly light racing flats which I use for my speed sessions. They would probably have a bit too little protection.

I also have shoe dilema now!!!

15/04/2012 at 15:14
It's always good to share!!  I still have the burning feeling in the balls of my feet, don't think it changes my running form (or lack thereof!!) and probably have gone too far in my other shoes to risk them for a marathon.  Just wondering whether discomfort for 10 would equate to pain in the 26.2.  But figure I'm going to be in pain whatever!!!  Congratulations on your unoffical PB
15/04/2012 at 15:53
FH I eventually make it to Westminster tube and head east, he walks to Greenwich!

Can't wait for the track on Tuesday now, not sure about the MP run though, I can't hit it from a standing start apart from for real!
1,401 to 1,420 of 1,521 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.