3 Runs Per Week Schedule

Successful?

1,421 to 1,440 of 1,521 messages
15/04/2012 at 18:53
Am completely afflicted with indecision! Mara pace was to be 8.34 but haven't done anything at that pace except the 22miler which as I said was a disaster. Everything else been faster. It's my second and last marathon so I need to do the best I can cos it'll never be beaten! Felt ok yest at 8.05. I think I am more of a go out quicker and hanging on kinda gal and so I just have to pinpoint what quicker actually represents. Is it 8.20 or even 8.15?

Well done everyone. This time next week we will be knackered but hopefully happy.
15/04/2012 at 18:55
I realise also that everyone else on the planet runs the marathon quicker than their long slow run pace whereas I appear to be contemplating running slower!
16/04/2012 at 09:48

My 2nd was going to be my last too ... this will be number 7!!!

Decide on a strategy and go for it!!  How did you feel in your first marathon?  Do you think you learned anything from it?  I am determined not to do a stupidly quick start but will still be aiming for a time that will only happen on a perfect day - so the pace is probably quicker than it should be...  Whatever you decide, you need to believe you will achieve it as it will help you stay mentally strong when it starts to feel tough! 

16/04/2012 at 12:40
And the adaptation from first marathon to second was colossal I found!
16/04/2012 at 13:44
Yes but there's a decade in between (and a baby - now nearly 5!) In first marathon I ran with a wee hand held water bottle with lucozade sport in it and had not a single thing else. I tried the stuff they supplied and it was ice cold and my stomach did not like it as it was used to warmed up stuff!
Don't think gels either existed or at least they weren't widely used.

I learned not to go to the bog with 20 mins to go as by the time you get back your pen will have moved forward and you'll be stuck with the fancy dress rhinos (oh yes).

I didn't have a garmin unsurprisingly and all my runs were measured by taking the car out or with string and a street map!

I did have utter belief that I would go sub 4 though as I followed the schedule to the letter and it did what it said on the tin.

Stuff it, the first mile will be enforced slowness and then I think I will go with 8.15 and review at 6 miles, 10 miles, 15 and 20. It's only 2 ten milers and a wee 10K after all Might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb and I'd regret thinking I should have tried to go faster. I've never run a negative split in my life so it's unlikely to happen here. I'll get to 20 miles and then try to hang on in there. I did the aviemore half in 2006 on the back of no specific training and was aiming for 8.30 min miles and did all of them at 8.20 or quicker and came in at 1.45.

I look forward to confirming my 5.5hour finishing time next Monday!
16/04/2012 at 14:29
Ha!!!

I think not.

16/04/2012 at 20:14

As I was tucking into some chocolate mini eggs (guilt free, that's why I run!!) my husband suggested a sequel to 'Run Less Run Faster' as 'Run Slower Eat More Chocolate' - Pah, what does he know!!!  I did a PB for a 10 miler after eating a huge amount of party food the day before - not a sensible carbohydrate passed my lips but I am partial to a cheesy puff!!

Definitely overcooked it yesterday, can feel it in my legs, that wasn't supposed to happen.  Better have another mini egg to cheer me up...

Edited: 16/04/2012 at 20:15
17/04/2012 at 20:58
Mmmh mini eggs. You know over on the mums club we discovered that it is a fact that if you eat mini eggs quickly the energy required to chomp them that fast is such that you end up in calorie deficit. You do have to eat super fast tho.

Bleugh am at the fat slow part of taper not helped by enormous fish and chip lunch. And tonight my garmin played up. Charged it all night. Switched it off - after 3 goes as kept turning itself on again and then when I turned it on today it said low battery. Knew it was a mistake to run updates the other week.
17/04/2012 at 21:34

So as good as celery then?  That's comforting to know.  I'd always suspected ....

Hope you sort your issues out with the Garmin ... either that or I hope you are less heavily dependent on it than I am

6*400s for me, 3 were a couple of seconds slower than they should have been but they weren't on a track so crossing roads and uneven pavements must account for that  

3 more miles to go ...

17/04/2012 at 21:46
FH I am freaking re idea I wake on Sunday to a knackered garmin. Hubby bringing his old one but the pace on that has been knackered for years. Going to bring a spare watch and print off a pace band or three cos my ability to run and work out times is non existent.

Re the mini eggs if the shell is cracked the calories leak out. I always look for those ones

I did 30mins with 5x 1 min pick ups. Got 20 min run left. Eeek.

17/04/2012 at 22:03

Cracked mini eggs - I never even suspected that!  This is the best information I've ever received on a forum...  If only there were some left in the bag to check

Have you tried the soft reset on your Garmin?  Don't know which model you have but there are quite a few suggestions in the online help if memory serves me right.  I've recently gone on to the 405CX but the reset helped me eek out a few more runs on my old 305 - even if I did have to hold me watch when on a run because as soon as I put it on my wrist it would go blank couldn't get it back on without the soft reset!  Can you revert to the previous release? 

17/04/2012 at 22:21
Good plan.  Will investigate.  Bloody technology.  What possessed me to do it I do not know.  My work pc got "upgraded" 3 weeks ago and freezes 4 times a day.  You'd think I'd have learned!
18/04/2012 at 08:10
Oh no!! Mentions of soft resets is bringing it all back - I had two races when mine did nothing because it wanted a hard reset! Mine you I had a massive 10 mile PB and a PB equalling 10K as a result, makes you think eh?

Do you use current pace or average pace on the Garmin as you run a race?
18/04/2012 at 08:14
Didn't know I had a choice!! I am not very good with it! I was probably going to go with current pace tho average might be more useful if I could figure it out. I have the 210. I don't want to risk not using it cos I am prone to easing off if I dont keep a close eye.
18/04/2012 at 08:27
Yes i'd never knowingly be without, was just saying!!!

I am useless I'm waiting for my brother to arrive from Ireland to sort mine out, as I think I will indeed go for average pace this time. Current pace is a horrible mixture of slow to adjust and sudden so that when I see myself doing a 13 minute pace I freak out and start sprinting! Similarly in reverse when I am clocking 5 min miles!

With average it just needs to be where you need it to be! Same risks I guess! This would be my first foray into average territory on the 305. I had a lovely old 201 but the connection to the charging cradle got dodgy.

I could see what was happening with that one.

18/04/2012 at 09:02
We have the 201 as well but pace is knackered on it. It always says 11 minute miling which freaks me and then of course the lap beeps and it says 8.30 or whatever. Our connection is dodgy for that too - you have to mess around with it and then for goodness sake DON'T TOUCH IT when it's charging or it'll lose the connection again!

I am going to get the instructions out later for the 210 as I am with you on the slow to adjust and then sudden - there's a spot in the meadows in Edinburgh where it just drops from 8.30 to 9.20 every single time no matter what and then I have to sprint to get it back. Hate it - in fact I stopped using a lap of the meadows as part of my route cos it was driving me daft.
18/04/2012 at 09:02
or is it the 205 we have? Hmm. Big blue thing.
18/04/2012 at 09:33
No idea, mines red and square.
18/04/2012 at 10:11

The 205 is blue and the 305 is the red one with the same functionality but has the heart rate monitor - don't know if that's what you have though as there is a 210 and many more too!!!  For what it's worth, I think the average pace works best for me, due to the fact that I'm notorious at forgetting to press the lap button at a mile marker from about mile 8 in a marathon, I have distance alerts for every mile so I get the pace per mile.  This means if you have a bad mile you put it behind you and settle back down for a good pace on the next without going ridiculously quick to make up for a bad mile and then blowing up completely...  My 305 got very wet during a run and after that it was never the same again, it was over 4 years old and from what I can gather that seems to be a fairly average age for faults - things just aren't built to last!  If you send it back you can get a refurbished replacement for around £80 but given the fact that they keep coming down in price I decided it was better to buy new and the 405cx was £121 at the time - the bezel is very sensitive though so I need to pick the screen I want for the run and lock it!

RR sounds to me that you're better off without yours!  I know some very quick people that don't wear a watch at all - don't quite now how they do it!!!  For my first races I had a watch that didn't even have laps so trying to calculate where I was gets really tough by the end of a marathon.  The pace bands are a really good idea as at London you have your time at every mile so all is not lost if the watch fails.

We're nearly there!!!

18/04/2012 at 10:40
yes we have a last legs 205 and I have the 210 as well.

Right tonight's task (along with packing!) is to get it set to average pace instead of pace for that mileas yes you're right what I do is run like a demon in the second half of a slow mile to try to bring the pace down and then end up wiped for the start of the next mile and so the pattern continues....

So close. Just got to work til lunchtime tomorrow (am almost as excited about the time off) Though I'm hardly working hard right now..oops.
1,421 to 1,440 of 1,521 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.