3 Runs Per Week Schedule

Successful?

1,461 to 1,480 of 1,521 messages
24/04/2012 at 13:33

Even with PBs we still grumble!!  Well done Ktrier, still a fantastic time.  I'm kind of with you on the stamina side.  My average week never went over 35 miles but as I never did the cross training anyway perhaps I wasn't giving it a fair chance.  I'm toying with the idea of more miles and also with the idea of never doing another one!  There's no doubt about it those last 6 miles are really tough.  My previous marathon was a postive split of 8 minutes and this one was just a shade under 8 too - coincidence?  I'm changing my target with each race so perhaps I'm simply not capable of the targets I go for at a particular time in training.  I wish I had the balls for a negative split at a marathon but I don't have enough faith in those last 6 miles!! 

Anyway for the next couple of months I'm going to concentrate on getting my 10k time down to a sub 40 ... if I'm ever capable of running again

24/04/2012 at 14:02
FH – Another PB and sub 3:20. You should be really pleased with your performance, especially after eyeing up the elite men!

HB – Great even paced running and a gutsy effort form mile 18.

EF – If you’ve only slowed 40 seconds over 10 years, then that is pretty impressive – especially as you don’t like any sort of heat.

Ktrier – Another awsome performance and another PB. With all your niggles, I’m sure that you must be pleased with yourself.

Reflecting on the Furman approach is always interesting to read – and it’s always tempting to think that extra running miles may be the answer to improved marathon performances. My own view is to stick with Furman and be disciplined with the paces. (That’s not to say that any of you aren’t disciplined with them!)

Last year I trained for the Robin Hood Marathon after a good run at London. I tried the P&D schedule with more miles at a slower pace. It didn’t work as well as Furman. I aggrevated an old knee injury and then ran my slowest ever marathon in 3:21. I also missed the variety of running sessions and cross training.
24/04/2012 at 14:50
I think it does work for me and I was unlucky with the knee. I was holding 8.21pace comfortably and I finished fresh in the lungs and left leg!

I have ordered the book off amazon to get the full works re 10k and half training as I had just got the programme off this website. I suppose my only thought rethe marathon schedule is that I definitely consider one run over 20miles necessary. Mentally as much as physically.

I will pop back once knee is fixed (can't push off right foot without searing pain up outside of right knee) and I have decided on next target.
24/04/2012 at 14:58
Oh dear EF - sending healing vibes.

I only went to 22 this time, partly because my foot injury came between 5 and 4 weeks out, right when I'd have been running longer, as I had planned to do as an extra for peace of mind.

I think it was mainly a mental thing for me on the day too looking at my stats.
24/04/2012 at 20:29

EF ... and the next target is?  Get better soon!  My copy of the book looks very tired so I've obviously referred to it with a frequency that borders on obsession!!  The joys of children, you might not have the time to go out and run but once they're in bed you can read about it instead and overanalyse the runs that you have managed to get out for! .

iFish, I guess it's the cost of injury weighed up against absolute potential.  I do like having a focus for every session though and only 3 times a week means, even on a rough day, you can force yourself out the door with the knowledge that the following day is a day off!  Trying to get out twice a day would kill me mentally as well as physically so I don't think I'll leave the schedule even if part of me wants to!  Good luck with your training. 

26/04/2012 at 16:33
I've joined a gym and did 50 lengths of front crawl today.  I'm going to continue with the 3 + 2 and actually do the + 2 in an effort to get my sub 40 10k.  If I succeed, I'll do an autumn marathon!  I've only got 4 or 5 weeks so I'm hoping marathon fitness will also play it's part.  Right it's published ... no going back now!!!
Edited: 26/04/2012 at 16:35
26/04/2012 at 19:25
Forever Hopeful wrote (see)
I've joined a gym and did 50 lengths of front crawl today.  I'm going to continue with the 3 + 2 and actually do the + 2 in an effort to get my sub 40 10k.  If I succeed, I'll do an autumn marathon!  I've only got 4 or 5 weeks so I'm hoping marathon fitness will also play it's part.  Right it's published ... no going back now!!!

Pasted above in case you try to retract later.

I'm looking forward to a month of running without the Garmin and then the BUPA London 10K where I plan to cruise around and enjoy the sights I missed through the pain on Sunday!

By June, I'll have Furman withdrawal-shakes and will get onto the half programme...

26/04/2012 at 19:47

ha, ha HB!!! 

Don't think I can ever run without the Garmin - I'm thinking about going into therapy!!!  Don't know if you've come across Run Britain Rankings but it's also highly addictive.  The idea is improve your handicap and it tells you the times you need over various distances to improve it.  This could be why I'm always disappointed with my times at the moment .

As for the sights of London, it was only looking at my photos that I saw Big Ben and ironically it was showing the time that I should have been at the finish!!  I hadn't even seen it at all as we turned the corner!  I noticed Tower Bridge as we went over it and the Cutty Sark - yey me.  Missed parliament and Buckingham Palace. Perhaps I should have worn my glasses... 

Enjoy your 10k and a bit of downtime before it all starts again!

28/04/2012 at 16:46
Well done FH! I can't swim for toffee. Look like I'm drowning.

HB I am contemplating some garmin free runs too - once my knee improves. Sitting here and whole left leg is throbbing. Not sure if knee is prob or if it is referred pain from hip or ankle. Boo. And I'm twitching for a wee jaunt out!

Book arrived yest. I've always wanted sub45 10k so may have a pop with this schedule. There are more 10k races available so can have multiple attempts!

Speak soon ??
28/04/2012 at 16:46
not ??
28/04/2012 at 16:58
I just got myself talked into a 4th 10K, it's that time of year.

Having a bit of a tendon protest on the left ankle and another behind right knee - wouldn't be able to do one tomorrow, but luckily the first is next weekend!
28/04/2012 at 18:50

EF don't inject pace before you've got yourself sorted out but sub 45 will be yours!  I've certainly brought my times down over all distances using the three tough sessions a week and nothing else.  As you say, lots of races to practise with and if you have a bad day it doesn't really matter!!!  I certainly couldn't do another marathon a week after the marathon but could do weekly 10ks!

Good luck with yours RR, hope you niggles disappear soon too!  I've got my next one in 2.5 weeks and one more a week and a half after that which is the one I'm hoping to PB at ...

AH1
29/04/2012 at 21:42
I am a late entrant to this thread but am pleased to report a 3:12 marathon today (Manchester) on the 3 run per week schedule. Max weekly mileage was 40.
Started off in January with a 3 hr target but got over enthusiastic and overdid it and so had to curtail running for 4 weeks in the middle - missing one 20 mile run and having to do a 50 mile cycle ride instead of one of the 18 milers. Kept up the cycling and swimming and did 22 instead ofnthebfinal 22 mile run.
I tucked in behind the 3:15 pacer today and he was about 1-2 mins ahead of schedule but i felt strong enough in the last 4 miles to push on and was overtaking people all the way from there to the finish.

Summary - 3 runs a week works and I will continue to use it for all future races. Some of the speed sessions are brutal but if you have the disciplne then well worth it.

RW Run Less, Run Faster is money well spent.
30/04/2012 at 10:11
Welcome Hollers. Great to have another Furman enthusiast - and well done on a brilliant time at Manchester. The weather was against you, so it must have been fantastic to have been overtaking in the last few miles!

FH - Great swimming! I have to admit that swimming is not my thing at all, so I'm always impressed when someone reports that they are incorporating it into their training.

EF - It's great to run free of tech, when you've succeeded at a recent marathon.

RR - Hope your niggles are getting better and good luck with your 10k training.

To prove that I'm a real Furman fan, I've just bought the revised edition of RLRF! It has all sorts of new sections, including KWs for cross training, matched to each of the running programmes.
30/04/2012 at 11:16

Fab time Hollers, I'm jealous!! I was on for 3.12 at half way but died so the fact that you finished strong is something I only dream about.  Can't believe we didn't have a 3.15 pacer at London given the fact it's a GFA 40+ time for men and championship lady time.  I do wonder if I'd just stuck to 3.15, and not tried to put some seconds in the bank, whether I'd have managed to hold on or not.  I think it's easier if you're with people all after a common goal though.  However, makes you think what you'd have come out with if you'd had a better day with the weather.  Good luck with the next one, hope you get your sub 3!

iFish.  Took me a while but finally realised KW is key workout!!  Don't think I can justify buying it again though   How does the taper look for the Xtraining then?  Does it drop too? 

30/04/2012 at 20:33

hollers- great effort, especially over the finish.

Forgive me, FH, for I have sinned.

I could not help myself and took my Garmin to demonstrate to myself I could still run 3 miles at MP.

Cold turkey is too difficult for me so next time, I will run without satellites.

04/05/2012 at 13:42

I understand the reason for cross training is so your legs feel fresh for your running session.  In my new found enthusiasm for 'mixing it up', I decided to trial 3 workouts yesterday - 20,20,20, spinning and a body conditioning class, topped off with a few lengths in the pool.  Methinks this was a little too much as, today, every fibre of my being is about to go ping!  Perhaps I should be easing myself in gently ... think I'll be running sloooow tonight!

15/05/2012 at 10:25
FH - There used to be a 3:15 pacer, which I used back in 2002 and 2003. Not sure why it stopped. I'm sure that you've recovered from your epic cross training by now! Have you got any future targets lined up?
The new RLRF recommends no X training in final week before a marathon and reduces the time, but not the intensity for the penultimate week.

HB - How is your satellite free running coming along?

I've started my build up for Wolverhampton Mara (2nd Sept). Week 15 this week, which gives me a week in hand for the 2nd week in June, when I'm away for 4 days with work.
17/05/2012 at 15:02

I too have entered a September marathon but am now regretting it slightly!  I've had a slower 5k and 10k in the last week which have been a bit demoralising as I'm just not feeling strong.  Still not outrageously bad but far enough of pace to think that something is not right.  I do get anaemic so may just up the iron intake again to see if it makes a difference.  Think I might cut down to a 12 week focus period too...

18/05/2012 at 08:19
Look after yourself FH. Marathons take more out of us than we always appreciate, so don't worry too much about your recent 5k and 10k. Take time to rest and recover as they suggest in the RLRF book. A 12 week marathon build up seems like a good idea.
Which marathon are you doing?
1,461 to 1,480 of 1,521 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.