6 days to go and the nightmares begin!

18 messages
04/04/2011 at 09:57

With only 6 days to go until the Brighton Marathon, my first and possibly last marathon, I had a nightmare about getting lost at 20 miles and getting home and no knowing what happened to the remaining six miles.

I am seriously getting nervous..........how do you all cope with this?

04/04/2011 at 10:00
Sorry but weird dreams are to be expected, particularly before your first marathon.  Most people get the "running naked" one at some point
kittenkat    pirate
04/04/2011 at 10:26

I used to have a really big problem with race nerves to the point of not turning up at a race. yes, that bad.

There are several strategies, I find sticking my head in the sand is really useful, what this means in practice is that in the 2 weeks before a race, I refuse to think about the race. That does mean that all my preparation is last minute but so be it, it's better than being on the toilet for 10 days solid beforehand.

Other and probably better techniques include visualisation, imagine yourself running the marathon, feeling strong, moving well. Make it a really positive experience in your head.

Another thing, what's the worst that can happen? You don't actually finish the marathon.. I think about the worst scenario and it's not that bad, life goes on, the world still turns etc...

Good luck and enjoy.

04/04/2011 at 10:36
It's natural. Just try to look at all the positive things - that you're doing something brilliant, that you're going to finish ahead of a lot of people, that everyone who comes along to watch will be behind you (this isn't a football match - they'll all be urging you on), if you're doing it for charity then you're raising money for a good cause (and if you're not, you're doing something that in global terms very few people do). Think about how smug you'll feel after, how much of an achievement it'll be. And if you had no nerves, you'd be a pretty odd human.
Good luck.
04/04/2011 at 10:46

My "race" dreams usually involve taking strange routes through buildings!

It's all quite normal - have a great day

04/04/2011 at 10:54
Are you really going to run a 3.10 marathon Kitty Kat?
04/04/2011 at 10:56

I was stressing last week about brighton (its my second) and had the weird dreams but not been naked on the start line yet.......  Like KK I burried my head in the sand until friday when i dug out my training diary for last year and compared with this year and seen how far i've come this year made me realise i've done as much as i can so all i can do is turn up and do my best!

Good luck and see you at the strat line

kittenkat    pirate
04/04/2011 at 11:04
North London Runner wrote (see)
Are you really going to run a 3.10 marathon Kitty Kat?

That was the time I was aiming for originally, I can sub 1.30 a half so it was realistic. But I've been struggling with injury and illness and so I've missed a lot of training. I'm being fully realistic about this, I'm struggling with pace over distance, I just haven't done enough long runs, it's as simple as that.... and I've been trying to outrun the black dog for a while, which never helps.

You're going to want a revised time now aren't you?

Can I say about 6 pints?

04/04/2011 at 11:10

i could understand if the olympics but if it all goes wrong  cant you just enter another race?

never had a running naked dream. sounds good though

04/04/2011 at 11:15

Well if you run a 10k badly you can have another shot the next weekend but you need at least 12 weeks to run another marathon(well)

Yeah Kitty Kat-I agree I think you are too much of a good time girl for a 3.10 marathon

kittenkat    pirate
04/04/2011 at 11:30
North London Runner wrote (see)

Well if you run a 10k badly you can have another shot the next weekend but you need at least 12 weeks to run another marathon(well)

Yeah Kitty Kat-I agree I think you are too much of a good time girl for a 3.10 marathon

Self discipline is not one of my strongest points.
04/04/2011 at 11:55
Screamapillar wrote (see)

I had one of those the other night......the blue line went through a Department store, and we had to wait for the automatic glass doors to open!!!   (is it time for my medication again nurse?? )

Visualisation is a good tool......but how do you stop yourself doing it at 2am, when you should be SLEEPING!!!!

kittenkat    pirate
04/04/2011 at 13:00
Clamshell wrote (see)
Screamapillar wrote (see)

I had one of those the other night......the blue line went through a Department store, and we had to wait for the automatic glass doors to open!!!   (is it time for my medication again nurse?? )

Visualisation is a good tool......but how do you stop yourself doing it at 2am, when you should be SLEEPING!!!!

Join Hash's insomniac thread
04/04/2011 at 17:35
On sleeping, I would say try to get a good night's sleep two nights before your marathon. It's entirely possible adrenaline will keep you awake on the night before, at least for a while, so it's good to have a good period of sleep behind you...
04/04/2011 at 17:41
Good tip Bootsy that's what i always do
04/04/2011 at 17:46
Yuk. I hate funk.
04/04/2011 at 17:46
Stay cool and just chill, that should help
04/04/2011 at 17:53
Still won't make me like funk... oh, you weren't talking to me were you...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
18 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.