A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Sub 3:45 Group

201 to 220 of 29,720 messages
01/03/2004 at 14:09
hi puggers

I'm used to that feeling, just did 5 x 2 laps of ilkley lido (just over 1K i think) with a running mate who's a lot younger and faster than me. My fast was his jog, so I just listened while he chatted then I gasped at him during the one lap recoveries.

Stll I managed to knock out sets of 4.05, 4.16, 4.26, 4.19 and 4.10 cos I had him to pull me along. I might use some of you for the same reason onn the day !!

Adam the theory is that the fast sessions will improve my cruising spped. I've always been a bit lazy on speed work, it hurts too much and it's easier to do a long slow session and kid myself I'm still working on endurance. This time however I'm determined to go faster so if you don't see me telling I've done my 2 speed/fartlek /hill sessions each week tell me off !!

ps doing my second session on wed/thurs

hows your monday runs going

PB
01/03/2004 at 14:26
Just managed to sneak in a lunchtime run. Lovely. Sun was shining (well a little bit), didn't have time to do more than 5ish miles and even the tourists weren't too obstructive (running by the Thames!)

Just remember that our slow speed is also the tempo speed for many other runners out there. We're not the fastest but then we're defintely not the slowest either. We're all just doing the best with what nature's provided us with!
01/03/2004 at 14:58
Well said Donna. Let's not forget that if we finish London in 3 Hours 45 we'll still be in the top 25% of finishers. We're not really that slow. It's a fabulous clear day for running today. I'm itching to get out and do it, just a couple of hours of time wasting till then.
01/03/2004 at 18:08
Cheers guys - time for a group hug I think ;-)

Running into work tomorrow - leave house at 7am, 15 miles in so should be in the shower by about 9.15 if I take it nice and slow.

Hope it's another nice day - the session might just be enjoyable if it is!
01/03/2004 at 18:20
Puggers

Go easy on the fried eggs in the morning.

Higs
01/03/2004 at 20:36
Pat's on the back all round deserved

Was at Richmond on Sunday on a run hosted by the Stragglers club,really enjoyed it, nice people and did the 18 miles in 2hr 30 dead.First time I've been in the park at Richmond, I thought it was great, not really used to so many recreational runners about at one time (All after the RW Event)it was good fun and I hope to go back in the Summer

Massage today, so day off, feeling mellow

Have a good week everyone
02/03/2004 at 08:36
morning all

it's another lovely day here so I'm gonna try and sneak in a few miles even though I'm up to my ears in it (doesn't it annoy you when work gets in the way of running )

Puggers that sounds like a nice run into work, I take it you have have showers and a change of clothes !! I'm 25 miles away from work so I think thats a bit too much before a hard days work.

I'm pretty lucky in my choice of runs during the week, Ilkley must be one of the most picturesque places in Yorkshire. It's a bit of a killer getting up the hills, but once you're up on the moors you've got some spectacular views. Does anyone else have some rave runs ?

PB
02/03/2004 at 08:59
Morning Folks, it's another fantastic day here in London!! Track tonight, 6x1K, hopefully I should be able to manage this although I am still very stiff from the Bramley 20 miler!!

Peter, you could avoid the killer hills and run down Denton Road to Otley and back, this is a run I uesd to do many times when I worked in Ilkley. I agree, it is very picturesque but I still prefer the Chevin Chase circuit over in Guiseley.... This is my favourite, although I am bias in that my father was the founder of this race.... Stunning views over the Washburn valley, rumour has it you can see York Minster on a clear day although in the 26 years I lived there, I never saw this once.

02/03/2004 at 11:51
Morning all. Good to hear the long mileage is being churned out ruthlessly.

I had a 'step-back' weekend, with a mere 10 miles on Sunday, racing from Ostend to Bruges. Much liver abuse went on, I am ashamed to say, but the Wymondham 20 this weekend should help me tell if long-term harm was done.

Keep it up, everyone, you're doing fab.
02/03/2004 at 12:12
Morning all.

Well, I made it safely into work this morning. I wasn't really looking forward to the prospect of leaving home at 6.45am into the freezing weather, and didn't sleep very well because of it...oh, and feeding my gorgeous baby girl at 4am didn't help matters either!

But despite everything the run felt fairly easy - it's about 15 miles and I completed it in 2hrs 10, so that's an average pace of 8m 40s per mile, which I was fairly pleased with given the time of day, the hills, and the lack of sleep!

Peter, there are no showers in work - I just sit at my desk in my smelly kit all day - it's a great way of deterring people from pestering me!! (Joking of course!).

Freddo, that's really good going at Richmond - well done.

Rave Runs? I live in South Wales near lots of amazing mountains and there are many footpaths around which go around or over them, so I am never stuck for a route, although they are never easy either!
02/03/2004 at 12:26
Rave runs, hmnnn. That's where I'm going wrong. Just grateful in London to run relatively traffic free. I have a lot of affection for the Regents Canal, although really it isn't very scenic for the most part.

I'm going to California three days after FLM and I'm really looking forward to running in the valley in Yosemite National Park. The more scenic runs are when we visit James' parents in Sheffield, although as Puggers said with South Wales, they're never easy!

Question for you all. Is it worth paying out to stay in a hotel to do the RW pacing run in Sutton Park the weekend after next (20 miles at 8:30 pace, if the pacers stick to it that is) or should I just wait until the weekend after and enter a 20 mile race and do that at 8:30 minute miling?

Reading half this weekend, feeling a little apprehensive of running faster than 8:30 minute miles. Can I still do it?
02/03/2004 at 12:27
Puggers - I'm impressed! 15 miles first thing in the morning after waking in the night for your baby too! I'd be very pleased with that pace!
02/03/2004 at 12:36
though i ran 20 miles on sunday i'm having one of those 'why am i so slow' days. I have a few friends that are running the FLM and they all seem to be storming though half's in 1.40 and they do less training than me !!! - Anyway just needed to let off some steam. I'll be hitting the treadmill tonight for some interval work - let's see if i can get those legs moving faster for longer
02/03/2004 at 15:41
Adam - It's a sickener. I know what you mean I've been there as well. I train like mad yet there's a guy in my tennis club can hammer me over 10K (he can run sub-39 minutes) yet he runs less than 10 miles a week.

There's a few loads of scenic routes where I run in the North of Scotland but I have to admit I do most of my training in the city. Thankfully there's a beach to run next to and several traffic free routes that can be found. For the really hard hilly routes you either have to head out of town or just put up with running next to roads.

It's a club session tonight so that counts as a hard Tempo/Full Race Pace workout for me. It looks like this will probably be my longest week ever if all goes to plan.
03/03/2004 at 01:24
Hello from the night shift

Good effort Puggers on the run into work, I should take the opportunity as well (we have showers and lockers)but frankly speaking the roads and routes into work here at Stansted Airport are cr*p

Fav Run, anywhere that's different, I ran along the Pacific last year near San Diego something about running on the beaches,surf and all that Californian vibe, I'm sure you will find it great Donna

Did 10 internal/yasso's tonight although to be honest I lost count so base this on the time spent on the tready and distance (15k)

Might see some of you at Reading ?
03/03/2004 at 09:25
Morning all

Sounds like some great rave runs out there, big bob I'd like to try the chevin route one day, unfortunately I'm a bit tied for time during my luch break and weekends are out due to living in wakfield. I will try and get a pass out for the chevin chase on boxing day though.

Best runs i ever had were when i went to the algarve in march last year for the spring running camp. Running along the clifftops at 8 in the morning with the sun on your face and an endless beach and the atlantic on one side with the smell of the eucalyptus trees was a magic feeling (still hurt your legs though).was anyone there last year ?

What's everyone doing today ? not sure wether to do another easy day or try and get my second speed session in. only had time for 15 mins running in the gym at lunchtime and then a 3.5 mile jog in 31.50 in the evening, but felt really good so hopefully the training is paying off

PB
03/03/2004 at 11:48
Good morning all

Freddo - yes I'll be at Reading. What time are you hoping for?

Short session at the track last night, came as quite a bit of a surprise as Tuesdays have all been near enough 10k. Did 12 500s with 30 seconds to jog 100 metres in between (is that even a recovery?) Not sure I managed the jog in 30 seconds each time as it goes. Haven't worked out my times from my splits in my watch yet.

Ran to work this morning, felt great. About 6 miles probably. Can't believe what a difference only dong about 35 miles last week has made to me!
03/03/2004 at 14:29
hi guys

i was doing my interval training on the treadmill last night and was finding it difficult to judge what pace i should be doing.

I basically did:

200m,400m,800m,800m,400,200m all at 9mph (6.4min miles) with 200m jog intervals between each set and 1m warm up each end. (total of about 50 mins) . By the end I WAS SHATTERED and only sheer will power got me through. Does seem like i'm doing the right thing for my marathon aspirations (3.45ish) or should i be running slower for longer ?
03/03/2004 at 14:54
Afternoon everyone - a good though hard club session last night sees me a bit knackered today. I swum twice my usual distance at lunch today (800m instead of normal 400m) so my arms hurt a bit at the moment. Tonight I'm off out for a 10 miler but I'm just going to leave my watch behind and just cover the distance without caring about my time for a change.
03/03/2004 at 14:55
Adam - I vote for short, hard intervals to get the heart rate through the roof. Gets you fitter and quicker over all distances. Your sesh sounds good to me - just the kind of thing that has made me improve faster than I eveh have before.

On the other hand, (a) I know nothing and (b) most advice I've read says do longer stuff.
201 to 220 of 29,720 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.