A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Sub 3:45 Group

261 to 280 of 29,708 messages
09/03/2004 at 08:37
morning all, hi woony, 1.20 for the first 10 miles sounds a bit fast to me. It's easy to advise other people not to go off too fast, but not so easy when you're with a fast group and feeling good !! One thing about the FLM , unless you're with the elite start , it's very difficult to set off too fast for the first couple of miles just down to sheer number of people. It would be nice to finish fast, something i have'nt managed yet, maybe this time .

Off for a run over the moors for a bit of an easy one today as will be doing second speed sesh tomorrow. Legs still feeling good so will have to remember not to push too hard for a recovery day.

Do you find that if you don't get out on your run you feel a bit edgy and start worrying that you're losing a bit of fitness ?? I wonder if most runners are a bit obsessive about it like me, After all you've got to be a bit nuts to run 26.2 miles!!

catch you later

pete
09/03/2004 at 08:55
Hi all. Some great running last weekend from everyone. Congrats to Swerve and Peter. Stick in there Puggers, you can't expect not to feel tired after a weekend like that. Woony - PACING, PACING, PACING! 2 Hours 40 was quite a target to try and shoot for anyway. You're on course with the rest of us for our target pace. Hello to Blotts Mate.

How is everyone feeling in the latter part of the long runs? Most of us are over 20 miles for our long one now. I felt quite rotten in the last 2 miles at the weekend. If I hadn't been with a encouraging friend their is every chance I would have stopped and walked for a bit. I'm determined to try and run all the way in London. I'm planning on following the advice of putting my name on my shirt so that folk shout my name. This may help keep me going.

I should really get in some miles this evening, but I'm tempted just to watch the Man U game. I reckon I'll have a day off then aim for a 10 miler tomorrow night.
09/03/2004 at 10:53
Peter, PPB, Yes yr both right, It was too fast, Pacing IS important. However Firstly I had a 16 miler under me belt at 8m/m and didnt see it as Tooooooo much of a jump. Secondly I was still holding on to the faint chance of me doing a 3:30 FLM. And lastly I just cant seem to do the Negative Split thing on anything over 10 mile. It sounds silly but starting faster than I should and dying at the end is how I got my 1/2 Mara PB. The next year on the same course I started at a Pace just below my PB with the intention of a Neg Spilt. However found it hard to UP the pace in the 2nd half.

Not Knockin yr advice guys coz yr both right , just trying in Vain to justify my silly actions. Anyhow it should still bode well 4 a 3:45 (3:39,45 would be really nice).

I like the idea of us all getting 2gether at the start/Merge points, and egging each other on

Take it easy people

Woony
09/03/2004 at 10:55
PPB y would anybody want to consider even THINKING about a MAN U game when the MIGHTY HAMMERS R Playing tonight?

Theres only one UNITED........... WHU.

Woony
09/03/2004 at 11:25
I'm a Glasgow Rangers Fan Woony I'm supporting Porto tonight!
09/03/2004 at 11:29
Actually just re-read your first message Woony. I'm exactly the same re. pacing. The only way I can get a PB is to just run from the gun and positive split. I'm doing a half this weekend and my aim is for half way in about 50 minutes then just try and hang on to that pace for as long as possible. I've tried negative splitting, and did manage it once on a very hilly half marathon, but I just end up slower.
09/03/2004 at 11:32
hi PPB

I've found that the last few miles of the long run get easier the more long runs you do. My mileage for the last 4 saturday long runs have been 16, 19.1, 21.6 and 23. I suffered for the last couple of miles for the first 3 but for the last one I simply found that my heart rate increased to around 155+ yet my legs felt ok. I think it shows that as you build the endurance in your legs it means you avoid the wall for longer and longer. I'm gonna try a 24 miler this sat and I'll let you know if my theory works.

I can't wait to hear the crowds shout "Come On Ping Pong Boy " it'll certainly life my spirits. Definately think it would be nice to meet up on the day,lets hope it's a sunny one, I've been lucky for the last 3 years and ended up with vest marks from the sun !.

off for an easy 6 miler with friend at 12.30 still not raining so probably running up over the moors.

cheers

pete
09/03/2004 at 11:53
hi woony

have to admit I'm better at giving advice than taking it, I've slowed down on all 3 FLM's . I know it can work though, last year ran with a friend called Jaki who is a bit of a whippet. She stayed with me to 16 mile than pushed on and did 3.45 in her first FLM while I trailed in at 3.57.44. I'd peaked too soon in training and didn't do enough speed and long sessions and wasn't feeling confident at all. Jaki's second half was over 2 mins faster that her first and she was a bit disappointed that she couldn't go faster as she was dodging slower runners ( people like me and you no doubt !!)

Lets hope she doesn't run too fast for this dinner times slow one

have a good run

pete
09/03/2004 at 14:19
Thanks for the words of encouragement guys.

I have the following long runs left:

1) Half marathon race (target sub 1hr 37)

2) 20 mile race (target 9 min miling - 3hrs. I am just hoping that by taking it very steady early on my stamina holds out better)

3) 22 miler training run (target 9 min miling)

4) 18 mile training run (this is the beginning of my taper)

Hopefully if I can get through those then my wall will move back a bit. Also I'm really hopeful that better preparation will make a world of difference. And the great news is...NO MORE RUNNING TO WORK!! Hooray!
09/03/2004 at 15:20
hi puggers

if you can do the 3 long runs on consecutive weeks you should find the endurance improving quite considerably. Did a moderate easy run with my friend Jaki, 6 miles in 50.10 , it does have a few inclines and one fairly big hill in it. Heart rate stayed around 145-150, a bit faster than planned but she's a lot better than me. Got another hard session tomorrow, 8-10 laps fartlek of ilkley park around 3.30 a lap so hopefully got something left for then.

The long runs do make you feel better, normally when I do this run in anything under 52 mins I can feel it , but this one felt fairly comfortable. (trying to think positive thoughts!!)

Anyone else had a good run today ?
09/03/2004 at 15:32
Just had a fab run in the forest. HAve been doing a dull 2x red route session Tuesdays ( waymarked paths) Lots of wide dull tracks. TOday took the plunge & followed onto a yellow route where it touches the red one without a clue where it would take me. IT turned into a wonderful wibbly wobbly path in & out of the trees. A bit spooky in places with only Blott for company but great fun & sl shorter than 2 red ones
09/03/2004 at 18:41
Hello all

Had fun at the Reading HM, some good bits to the race and some equally bad, started off trying to keep a nice even pace (8.30 pace) but gave up on that after a couple of miles and got into the race finishing in 1.41, Stadium finish being the best thing about the day

Feel I have a lot more energy this week, probably because of the drop in mileage but plan to pick it up with a 20 miler mid-week before the Hastings half on Sunday, did my Yassos today and finished with something still left in the can (3.30 pace)

Purchased my race trainers on Monday,NB 765's, I feel a bond with them already, we're going to get to know each other real well over the next 6 weeks
10/03/2004 at 08:41
morning all

hi freddo, 1.41 is pretty good for a 1/2m, my best is only 1.43 and that was a couple of years ago and 1/2 stone lighter. Still I seem to be losing weight again and feeling good in training at the moment so hopefully on track for 3.45 .Doing fartlek today, 8-10 laps of ilkley park with a mate, then a couple of days easy running before 20+ on sat. Looks like I'll be running in the rain today, yippee!!, lets hope we have a nice day on the 18th, nearly 4 hours of rain does not seem very appealing

Thanks for reminding me I need to get my race trainers in the next few days so I can break them in for the big one. Been using aisics gelkeyano'sfor the last few years , anyone know any good web sites where you can get them cheap ??

Happy running all

catch you later

pete
10/03/2004 at 09:16
hi guys

I'm back from Cannes today where due to working 16 hour days i didn't get the daily coastal runs i was hoping for - infact just one and that was pitch black !!.

The morning i was flying out i run 13.1 miles in 1.46 (which is a pb) so hoping my speed work is making a difference. My goal is to tun 20 miles in 3 hours this sunday (did it in 3 hour 5 a coupl eof weeks ago).

I know you shouldn't run this distance at marathon pace but as a rookie you need to know what your capable of in order to set your race goals.

Quick question, I'm organising a t-shirt with my name on it, should it be front and back ? and does the race number not cover it ?

Good training all

Adam
10/03/2004 at 09:58
Hi All

Just sneaking up from the sub-4 thread to see how it's going in here... and from the looks of all these long runs and fast times I can see it's going remarkably well.

I'm getting more and more confident (touch wood) on being in the sub-3:52:30 category -I destroyed my half-marathon PB last weekend - and so my dreams of keeping you lot honest are still alive - just as I can see some of you have plans to take on the 3:30 crowd.

Keep up the good work - see you at 26.3 for a beer or five!

BTNM
10/03/2004 at 10:26
hi adam

you only need your name on the front of your t-shirt, it's only the people running behind you who see it if it's on your back, and they tend to be too knackered to shout out !!. If you put it on the front right at the top of your t-shirt you should be able to put your number underneath. Make it big letters so everyone can see it and you'll get a couple of thousand shouts. Towards the end I tend to run close to the crowd just to hear them shout to keep me going.

I think you'll find the 3 hr 20 miler no problem , the more long ones you do the easier it gets. Doing anything today ?

cheers

pete
10/03/2004 at 10:26
Hi

Adam I agree with your...we know we shouldn't but...without going at a reasonable pace for a reasonable distance how do you have a good idea what you can do.
I don't want to be trying a new pace for for 26 miles on the day, I want to be doing something I think is possible

Same as most others for me start faster and die later when getting PB's. My usual tactic is to try to aim at a pace which would bring me in a minute or two under my PB on 10K and 1/2m races then try to hang on to it as long as possible

Did 10 miles at 7.46 pace last night, felt OK. My best 1/2M is 8.00 pace. I have a 20 mile race on saturday and was planning on pushing it a bit to give me an idea of what I could do on the 18th April. I was thinking of starting off aiming for between 8.00 and 8.15 pace miles - any thoughts
10/03/2004 at 10:42
twin - sounds pretty quick to me - what kind of FLM time are you aiming for ?

I'm gonna hit the treadmill tonight as i've got one at home and have my babies to look after while 'her in doors' goes out on the lash !!
10/03/2004 at 10:57
same as me...treadmill night tonight with baby monitor on loud ( over the football also on loud )

aiming at 3.45 strange as it may seem on this thread... I've done a 20 mile plus training run (hitting 20 miles at 8.26 pace) but I'm getting good at struggling after that ( also done a 19 and a 23 miler - with two more 20+'s after this weekend planned )
10/03/2004 at 11:13
Adam, I'd put your name on the front for the crowds and on your back so that your fellow runners (including forumites) can cheer you on too!
261 to 280 of 29,708 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.