A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Sub 3:45 Group

28,801 to 28,820 of 29,720 messages
M.r Zuvai    pirate
18/08/2011 at 08:20

ohhh................. TOTP!

havn't done that in a while

21/08/2011 at 10:30

Only 3 runs since I got back from Turkey 2 weeks ago, mainly due to the new job routine. Thought I'd best start on a new running campaign today, rather than just coast and get fatter.

Hauled myself around my 5.3 miler at 7.27 pace this morning. Quite pleased really, first timed effort since February. Lots of room for improvement but it;s a start.

Now time to ruin it all and prepare for the big family BBQ today!!

SB

M.r Zuvai    pirate
21/08/2011 at 17:58

decent pace there badger - hope the bbq was up to scratch too!

final LSR for me before IMW - 19 miles in the sun and heat at a touch under 9 m/m

taper for the run starts now, 2 long rides this week then total taper 

had an experiment with run/walk strategy on the LSR - found it interesting - may trial it in a stand alone marathon if i do one this winter (thinking about the portsmouth coastal marathon - as it starts and finishes outside my front door!)

22/08/2011 at 08:46

Nice run SB - that's a good pace after a long layoff.

Mr Z - not long now then!

I'm getting back to speed reasonably well - ran 21.38 for the Parkrun on Saturday which was my quickest for that course. Also building the longer runs up slowly - 9 miles yesterday in 8.50's which felt really nice. So far, touch wood, my knee is not complaining

22/08/2011 at 20:52

Course PB, nice going Freemers.

Back to back runs for me, wow, I must be keen. A decent fartlek over the woods tonight. Didn't time it but I must have burnt off most of the BBQ lamb, chicken and lager I quaffed after my run yesterday.

SB

M.r Zuvai    pirate
26/08/2011 at 14:51

hello...hello............hello................hello................

echo........... echo.............echo.........

hope you're all well and stick bashing out those good runs

1 more big ride then its tapir time for me...i can feel the madness brewing already....

27/08/2011 at 13:56
Best of luck mr z. Though what tapir time is I don't know ( a tapir is a pig like animal)

I'm just back from a Parkrun PW!
29/08/2011 at 18:21

Alrighty everyone!  Just checking in.  Nothin' much to say except hi.  Currently running twice a week with no real goal in mind.  11 miles offroad yesterday felt good so I think I'm settling into my new running style at last.  Going to phone my friendly knee surgeon tomorrow to book in for the arthroscopy that we agreed I needed last April when I had a consultation.  Back then I had the 50km race in the diary for October so I said I'd call him after that.  Now that race is in the bin cos of my heel injury, I figured I may as well get the op done and then focus on a spring marathon in 2012.

Good to see some of you are out there training hard and have some events coming up.  A friend of mine just completed a local half iron man and I suspect I'll be looking at something similar next year.  My swimming is rubbish, and I hate council-run swimming pools.  Nothing worse than seeing an elasoplast floating on the side, or loads of hair in the drain in the showers!!  If I could get over that, then I'm sure I could build up the swimming like I built up the running a few years ago from zero.  Or perhaps I'll just win the lottery and buy a house with a 25m pool!!

29/08/2011 at 22:18
Rimmer. Id be a great butler for you. Id serve you tea n toast, then motivate you to run by laughing at your flabby belly! Well done all. I did a 7.4 miler on Saturday morning at a comfy 8.06 pace. Saw tonight that entries are finally open for the dreichest race ever. The Glen Clova half marathon on the 12th of November. Got my pb there a few years ago, and this year Id like to run it with my mate n get him below the 1.50 mark. Now I have this to focus on, the runs will gradually increase in length and Ill get back to 3 runs a week.
Cheers

LS.
M.r Zuvai    pirate
30/08/2011 at 11:20

Good Luck with your appointment Maracy - hope you get the resolution you need!

I don't like public swim baths either so do most my swim training in the sea - it's brilliant!

Good to see you thinking about a spring marathon - we just need badger and stoker to sign up to one the we'll have quite the crew again!

I'm quite impressed with the mileage you guys are keeping up without an immediate target - by the time the 12 week programs start you'll be flying!

30/08/2011 at 19:00
Good evening speedies I'm moseying on in here tentatively - did 3:49:15 at Edinburgh marathon this year (windy!!) and so as une fille I have qualified for London. Not certain whether I will 'race' London or just enjoy it but thinking about whether I can get closer to 3:45. What kind of pace do you guys do in training? I averaged 9:13 m/m for my 19M run on Sunday but that was off the back of a 105 hilly miles on the bike on Saturday..
Edited: 30/08/2011 at 19:00
30/08/2011 at 21:50
Witchy. Welcome to the thread that got me to a 3.43 in my first ever marathon at FLM 08. The thread has slowed down lately, but if you can be bothered, you can always flick back n read the previous years posts in the run up to April. I only ever ran 3times a week with no cycling or anything in between. Just rest. I did a 10 miler on a Wed n Friday morning, usually at about 7.30 - 7.45 pace. On a Sunday morning I did my long run. I found that because I was well rested, I was able to run each run well on fresh legs. I did about 7 or 8 runs of 20-23 miles in the weeks leading up to the race. Filled me with confidence. Come March time, I was running them at about 8.20 -30 pace, which again meant that no daft doubts would creep into my head on race day questioning whether I could run at the required 8.30 pace. I've only run 3 marathons. FLM08 in 3.43. FLM09 in 4.28 after eating some dodgy chicken that weekend which 'cleaned me out...' And Loch Ness last year in 4.05, when the hills had me walking towards the end.
Hope others give you their far more efficient approaches to sub 3.45.
Where in the UK do you run?

LS
30/08/2011 at 22:12

This thread more than any others helped propel me to sub 3:45, mainly on 3 runs a week consisting of a long run, a tempo run and a n interval/fartlek/hill session depending on which clunb night it was.

If you are serious witch I'll post up the runs paces etc.

30/08/2011 at 23:27

Welcome Witchy! This thread got me from 3.45 to 3.25 in a couple of years, mainly by mixing decent speed sessions in with the longer stuff. Stick around, it's good 'ere!

Zedster, I've entered the ballot for VLM12, so we'll see what happens in October.

Had a really good 5.5 mile off-roader in a farrtlek type styley tonight. Despite still feeling fat (mainly from 2 x BBQs with gallons of lager at the weekend) I had a really strong run. Will go for a timed effort at the weekend to see if I'm getting quicker.

SB

31/08/2011 at 11:39

Witchy - welcome! I agree with the Badger - a good mix of speed work and lots of long runs is the key.

For long runs, there's horses for courses - but your 9.13 pace is about right I would say. Nearer the day, add in some miles towards the end of the long runs at your intended marathon pace, so around 8.30's. I generlaly do the final 6-8 miles of a long run at race pace. it's a really good way of getting the stength into your legs when you are tired.

Then for the faster stuff, I'd do one set of intervals each week, usually 800m to 1km reps, at around 7-7.30 minute mile pace.  Plus a tempo run of 6-8 miles....and then the other runs can be steady/easy pace.

No reason why you can't get under 3.45 in London if you put a solid winter into the training. If Stoker can do it anyone can

31/08/2011 at 11:42
My knee is getting troublesome again - bliddy frustrating as I got my longest run since VLM in on Sunday and felt great - 10 miles in 8.05 average pace. But Monday's run was a one mile disaster as my knee hurt from the get go....and a session on the TM yesterday was also painful.  I've booked in to see the consultant again tomorrow....
Cheerful Dave    pirate
31/08/2011 at 16:03

Treadmill on your birthday, that's a bit keen...

You folks in here need to be aware that WW has a certain long-distance triathlon in a few weeks and is therefore a proper afferlete.  Or mad, depending on your point of view. 

M.r Zuvai    pirate
31/08/2011 at 17:07
aye - witchy's in for henley right? Im in for wales next week and PSC pops in occationally - pirates fairly well represented here
31/08/2011 at 21:34
Get weller soon Freemers. Yep, if old lardy butt me can cruise to a 3.43, then anyone can. And I had to carry Night Nurse for the first 23 miles.
Just out the bath after a 7.8 miler. Laps of the industrial estate of 1.06 miles each. Set off at about 7.45 pace n felt strong so kept going, with the last few laps the quickest. Ended up 7.32 pace. Chuffed with that. Trying to gradually eke my runs back up into double figures. 10 n a half weeks til Glau Coma half marathon. Missed it last year, so this will be my 5th commemorative mug.One year you lot should book a room in the only hotel in the glen n experience Winter racing n stovies n Guinness.
LS.
31/08/2011 at 21:37
Badger, are you like that pot bellied 'Arge' fella from Essex I read about in my Mum's Daily Star ? !
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.