A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Sub 3:45 Group

29,121 to 29,140 of 29,708 messages
18/04/2012 at 22:06
Did a HUGE post on my phone n lost it? !%&#*@#!
Very well done Becc. Superb time.
Me n my mate went out on Sunday n did a very comfy 12.78 miles in 1.50.19. In the only 2 halfs he's run, Ive dragged him like a zombie to a 1.54 then a 1.52, so we should be on for another pb for him on Sunday. Ive trained only so Im slightly fitter than him, but he's closer than I thought he'd be, so I might need to dig deep the last uphill mile n a half as he's not one for giving up...
Was gonna go out tonight for a plod but have decided to have a full week of rest.
I think my 2008 FLM was a bit drizzly. Worked for me.
Good luck all who are doin it.
I'll be busy doin my half on the outskirts of Dundee.

LS
18/04/2012 at 22:11
Blimey Stoker, just read back...hope the lad's OK.
You should have twatted that bloke though!
18/04/2012 at 22:14
Help! The taper is trying to defeat me. Keep having thoughts like "ooh it's four weeks since I ran 22 miles, do I still have the ability to go that far?"... Please reassure me that the taper was necessary and I can still do it. I knew doubts would set in eventually

Ps. Well done Bec, the marathon gremlins obviously didn't get the better of you!
19/04/2012 at 07:34
Laura I ran a slow 9 miles 10 days before the marathon, I then a very slow (21mins for 2 miles) jog with my mum the day before the marathon and that was it. The taper is needed enjoy it
19/04/2012 at 11:34
Off to London tomorrow, so won't be able to post until after the VLM. Good luck to everyone who is doing the London, or any other marathon this Sunday. Weather report sounds ok, relatively cool and the odd shower. Take care.
19/04/2012 at 16:21
When can I run again?
19/04/2012 at 19:50
Fancy the Angus HAM half marathon on Sunday Becc?
Youd enjoy it as everyone knows that all Scottish men look like the bloke on the Scots Porage Oats box...

No word on the run over bloke Puffo.
Regarding the punchy fella. When I was 19, my best mate behaved inappropriately with my sister, so after confronting him, he got a right hander to the kisser. Sadly he popped his clogs the next day of a massive asthma attack. The police said it had nothing to do with me, but 23 years later, its the last time Ive hit someone. Its the only time Ive hit someone. Its what influenced me to leave Dundee less than a year later.

Looking forward to my race Sunday.
My 11 yo boy is running in Kirkcaldy on Sunday. The Brechin schools ran a cross country race n he did very well so is now through to the next stage in Fife. He's only primary 6 but is as fit as a butchers dog.
Me n the missus are going through together to see him. We're getting on better together too.... Watch this space...?

LS
21/04/2012 at 20:05
Haven't posted for a while. Thought I'd catch up. Well done Bec! Great time there. The taper is strange. I feel quite lazy not doing many miles and I keep getting restless legs in the evenings. Twitching like a psycho whilst watching tv! Only a week til my first marathon in Stratford
22/04/2012 at 16:06
Well come on then...How did the VLMers do?

I've not been on here for a while. Woking have won the Blue Square South and I've been busy celebrating!

Ran to my lad's football match today, 9 miles. Just over an hour, don't know where that came from!

Just looked at the results and mixed fortunes for two of my mates, one did a 3.56 due to injury (his PB is 3.26) and the other probably didn't realise how far 26.2 miles is as it was his debut but posed a respectable 3.43.

Hope the VLMers all had a great ride around the best city in the world!

SB
22/04/2012 at 17:26
3.43 is exceptional. !!!!
The true measure of greatness.
Ran my half marathon today with my mate. I had done ok in training but hadnt pushed it. Today, after his only 2 other halfs of 1.54 n 1.52, my mate of 49, set off at a fair lick n kept going. I kept waiting for the pace to drop but it didnt. 11 miles @ 8.08 pace. Then the closing hill. He powered on but I wasnt prepared mentally to dig deep into zombieland, so for the 2nd year I walked a small section of the last uphill mile. Sad but I knew my mate would be gobsmacked when he saw the clock. Another pb for him of 1.47.fiftysomething. I got going again n got 1.48.26. Happy with that. Old Dogfish Dave was hoping for sub 1.40 n got 1.40.01!
Looking forward to all the VLMers posting in.

Badger. Well done the mighty Woking.

LS.
23/04/2012 at 09:18
3.56, a little disappointed but had a horrid time miles 15-18 when I ran out of electrolyte drink - picked another up from my friend at canary wharf and picked up after that but sadly that was the end of the 3.45 dream! Still really pleased to be sub 4 on first attempt on a very hot day!
23/04/2012 at 12:03

After last couple of years I avoided the forum, so I stayed relaxed and not too stressed with the build up. Seems to have worked as I came in at 3.33.40 - over the moon with that, although should have gone 7 seconds quicker to get all the 3's

23/04/2012 at 20:02

Unlucky Laura, but hey sub-4!!
Try pinning some gels to the inside waistband of your shorts next time. That's what I do and it works a treat.

Great time HH! Just pay a little more attention to detail next time and hit all the 3s.

Take a look at this thread. I've poked my nose in there and had my say.  I can't belive the guy wanted to run 3.15. Many lessons learned though.
There's some good advice and experience for hitting low numbers on the next run.

What went wrong?

SB

23/04/2012 at 21:39
I used gels too! Maybe I just set off to quick
23/04/2012 at 22:41
Badger!
I was reading that thread on my wee phone, then with my fat fingers, I accidentally touched the link that says "ignore member" for you ?! How do I restore you if your posts will never re appear on my thread now?

Ps the chap sounds like an over confident doughnut. No substitute when things get tricky for the knowledge that youve already battered out four 20 milers, a 21, a 22 n a 23 @ a pace probably quicker than you are doing!
It worked for me.

LS
23/04/2012 at 22:44
Its ok.
Ive un-ignored you now...
23/04/2012 at 23:33
Cheers badger, agreed, sloppy mistake there

Yeah,read some of that post this morning, you need lots of LSR when training for a marathon
24/04/2012 at 07:25

Really disappointed. Starting getting cramps at 20 miles and they became so bad I had to walk the last 2 miles so ended up with 4:13:42. Never had to walk in a marathon before and couldn't even break 4 hours plus it was my birthday too! Still on to the next one. Hoping to run Paris next year. Well done Laura and Hornchurch, great times.

24/04/2012 at 09:16
well done to the all the VLMers

I didn't go down for it- thought I would give those kenyan lassies a bit of a chance

enjoy your recovery week everyone
24/04/2012 at 10:58

Well done Laura - sub 4 is amazing.  HH - that is some achievement well done - you'll just have to try that little bit harder next time

Well, my prep for Edinburgh was going really well - completed each and ever run of the 1st 10 weeks of the training schedule, which included 2 x 20milers, both at sub 9m mile pace.  Then after Saturdays 15miler, some real pain in the back of my leg behind the knee - saw the physio last night - damaged the tendons in my hamstring, lots of really deep, inflammed soft tissue.  So, no running till at least the weekend, ice twice a day and anti-inflammatories 3 times a day...

But most of all I will be praying for a quick recover, because if you take out the 2 week taper I have 3 hard weeks training left (this first one I will miss) before Edinburgh on 27 May.

Not ideal!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.