A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Sub 3:45 Group

29,141 to 29,160 of 29,708 messages
25/04/2012 at 13:34
Huge congratulations on your sub 4 Laura.
25/04/2012 at 20:29
Good luck for sunday Luke, might see you at the start line,et us know how you get on. It's my first 26.2 aswell
25/04/2012 at 20:44
Thanks Jay. Good luck to you too. Enjoy it!
27/04/2012 at 12:42

Good luck to the Sunday mob. Looking forward to the success notices already.

So, my long-serving Nike stopwatch with HRM finally fell apart after 6 years loyal service. I've not accurately timed a run for months due to it's demise.

Looking for a replacement on Amazon, I stumbled across something called a Garmin Forerunner 410, costing a mere £161. My current bout of man-flu got the better of me and I hit the add to basket button. It arrives early next week.

I've held off the temptation for years, convincing myself there was no need but have now finally taken the plunge. I love a gadget, me and can't wait to be the Mayor of Stat City.

Stoker - it doesn't make me a bad person! It was half price....you're a sweaty, I'm sure you understand!?

SB

27/04/2012 at 13:15
is it bad to be a no show for a marathon (Milton Keynes) when the weather is torrential rain and 45mph gusts of wind? (the Beaufort scale says this wind strength is likely to seriously impede progress on foot')?

Need a plan B - Copenhagen or Prague maybe!

27/04/2012 at 19:19
Haha

Well I ain't trained my arse off for the last 3 months to drop out because of bad weather,

Same for everyone! Good prep for snowdonia lol
28/04/2012 at 11:30
I'm not too bothered about the weather, it's the fact that after 16 week hard training, it had to be this week that a get a cold
30/04/2012 at 13:01

Unlucky Luke. I too have gone down with dreaded man-flu but unlike you, I'm not racing. All the best for a speedy recovery.

Today, I entered the VLM13 ballot. An hour later, my Garmin 410 arrived at my desk! I'm thinking this could be an omen!?

Let the campiagn begin!!

SB

30/04/2012 at 15:14

Hi sub 3.45ers... some of you 'older' thread folk might remember me as about once a year I post here a few times and ramble on about how I want sub 3.45 but then it always goes to pot and I never do........ I thought about doing the same this year but decided it would tempt fate (!) so I didn't.

Anyways to cut to the chase I just wanted to come on and report for anyone interested that I ran the Manchester Marathon yesterday (think clairester did too if she still posts on here? I didn't see her though, just know from facebook) and finished in a 14 min+ PB with 3.41.08 

Absolutely over the moon. Finally finally finally, took me 11 marathons but there we go. Knew all along it must be possible.  Hope you are all well, congrats Hornchurch on the fab VLM time and anyone else who ran London or other marathons this spring. What a journey hey? Time to kick back and chill out I reckon.

30/04/2012 at 16:01

TTM: You superstar!!  Well done!!

SB

30/04/2012 at 18:51
Huge well done Toots !!!
Order a curry n eat loads of chocolate washed down with red wine.
You deserve it.
Went out Saturday n felt like I just jogged my 12.83 mile run yet did it in 1.46.12, which was exactly the pace I did the previous weeks half. Have come to the conclusion that I mentally f%&*ed myself up during the race as I was constantly checking the watch for the pace for my mate. I NEVER check my watch on a run n think about loads of stuff. During the race my head was full of pace induced doubt. So no, I wont be unpadlocking my biscuit tin to buy anything that reminds me how fast or slow Im going....!!!
50 years ago last Saturday, the mighty Dundee FC were crowned Champions of Scottish football. Alan Gilzean and Ian Ure both played South of the border so you may have heard of them.
Out for a pint with the old man soon to watch the Manchester derby.
I bet the 11yo goalkeeper of my sons football team a big bar of Fruit n Nut that City would win. I even gave him the draw! When I was 10, Santa Claus brought me the Man City home kit n my brother got the away kit. I can vividly remember how silky the shorts felt compared to the cheap shorts my under 10 side wore. Santa also brought me a great board game called Ergo. Bought a replacement off ebay a few years ago. Happy memories listening to my Dad roar with laughter as the trap he set for me worked again...
Cheers all.
LS

30/04/2012 at 20:30

Well what a day Sunday was! With about 2 mins to go before the start of Stratford marathon they announced the full marathon will not go ahead and only the half will be run. This was due to the severe weather. The full mara was going to be 2 laps of the half and because of the greenway section (a section of disused railway) they thought it would be too cut up by the 2nd lap.

I enjoyed the half despite the weather but I still feel incomplete having done all this training

30/04/2012 at 23:08
Mmmmmmmm.
Fruit n Nut! !!!!!!!
LS
01/05/2012 at 07:25

Hello everyone - a bit of advice needed...

11 weeks into my 16wk training plan and it was going really well - included 2 x 20 milers at around 8:50mm pace and I was happy that if race day went well, 3:45 was within sights.  Then, the dreaded hamstring injury struck and I haven't run for 2 solid weeks. 

I am hopeful (everything crossed) that I may be back to some form of running by the weekend, but this'll mean I've had nearly 3 weeks off and will only leave 3 weeks until Edinburgh on 27th May.

Question is - how detrimental will the enforced rest be and what do you think would be a realistic finish time given the circumstances.  This is my first marathon...

Any thoughts?

Thanks

01/05/2012 at 12:46

Unlucky Arnie. Unfortunately the art of marathon means running long distances which break up muscle fibres which then heal stronger and then repeat the process the following week until we all turn into endurance machines.

There will be no short circuit for you - I think with just 3 weeks to go you'll just have to try get some decent mid range runs 13-18 milers in if the injury allows.

The next 2 weeks will be crucial. If the injury allows and you can get some quality runs in, do virtually nothing in the final week in order to let your legs recover.

By now your CV fitness will be at a good base level but it's the 'time on feet' lost that will really affect your run. A colleague had a similar situation for London, should have hit 3.20 but ended up doing 3.56.

Stoker: I played in our annual pre-tournament 11-a-side game last night at the football club. The old magic kicked in. We were 4-1 down, I scored 4 (including a penalty that I dived handsomely to get) and got us to 5-all and won a free kick at the death which we scored to win 6-5!

Feeling pretty pleased with myself. 44 years old and my first proper (cunning) dive in the box, my first 4 goal haul and first ever 11-a-side penalty kick.

Went home and setup the Garmin. Champion!

SB

01/05/2012 at 17:46
Thanks SB and LS (I've been eating chocolate, cake and pizza all day and had 'a few' glasses of wine / cider / bacardi on Sunday night to celebrate!!! )
03/05/2012 at 13:42

Stoker: the Garmin 410 is a superb piece of kit. I used it for the first time last night. It's amazingly accurate and it's jam packed full of stats. I just went near the computer and it automatically updated everything. No cables.  I'm hooked!!

I took it over the woods as I fancied a real mud-fest run as well as testing the gadget to see how it coped with tree cover. 5.5 muddy miles as 7.45 pace and plenty of other stats recorded. Marvelous!

Go on, treat yourself!

SB

03/05/2012 at 21:15
More chance of my fringe growing back... Taking my boy to see his first Dundee FC match on Saturday. Woking are miles clear at the top Badger! Beautiful day working up in Pitlochry today. Glenshee tomorrow, then my only run of the week, a 13 miler, Saturday. Then I'll collect my bar of Fruit n Nut at the boys football in Arbroath on Sunday. LS
06/05/2012 at 12:10

Went to the Olympic stadium to see some athletics yesterday. A somewhat underwhelming venue, especially when you consider how much it's cost. However I'm sure the TV and occasion will make it special come the summer. Atmosphere was good when the 46,000 were in there, so with 80,000 shouting for team GB, it should be quite good.

Just back from a 9 miler. Longest distance run since january 2010!! Didn't think I'd left it that long. 

Covered the ground at 7.38 pace and felt surprisingly strong. 

The Garmin is certainly a motivator at the moment. Have already set it up for some intervals in a couple of days.

SB

06/05/2012 at 22:45
Well I was out the door at 5.45am Saturday for another 12.84 miler. Felt very comfy in 1.44.26 for 8.08 pace. Thats 6 weekends on the trot Ive done roughly 13 milers. It soon feels just the norm. Its also 3 weeks on the spin where the only run Ive done has been my Saturday run.
Just off the phone after another argument with the missus. Seems my earlier optimism was misplaced. Im still the worlds most useless human being in her eyes. We'll still be married come our 15th wedding anniversary on the 23rd, but it seems we wont be an old married couple in years to come. Might be time to take the optimistic blinkers off and face up to some tough decisions soon.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.