A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Sub 3:45 Group

29,241 to 29,260 of 29,720 messages
08/09/2012 at 12:30
Puffo !!!!
Long time no hear........you stalker!
Me n Badger, n occasionally Dogfish are defibrillating the thread on a rota basis.. Someone else who has marvelled at the majesty of the City of Dundee. Had the entire riverside all to myself today. By 2020 it'll be all changed with a sparkling new V&A museum as its centrepiece. Grab a yorkie bar, dust down the CB radio n get truckin thro Fife n over the bridge again.
Time to get settled for Scotland getting gubbed from Serbia.
Cheers chaps.
Little Old Stoker.
08/09/2012 at 18:24

Woking win 6-1...oh yes!

Off to get sloshed. Will run it off tomorrow...I promise!

SB

09/09/2012 at 23:00

Happy belated birthday Stoker! When are you coming for a Road Runners session again?

Good session there SB, and the running wasn't too bad either, arf,arf.

Welcome Jimmy. If this is your first marathon, then I would say 3:45 is a good target, judging from your training. I would be tempted just to stick to 8:30 m/m miles for as long as you feel comfortable, and if there is anything left in the tank go for the elusive negative split with a faster last 6 miles.

If it's not your first marathon I would slightly more adventurous and maybe go for closer to 8 m/m, as it looks like you are capable of 3:30-ish.

All depends a bit on weather, how you feel on the day etc., as I'm sure you are well aware, but I think you should feel pretty confident you can make your target.

10/09/2012 at 21:01

Now that I feel relatively fit Dave, I'll be happy to run again midweek with you lot. I'm going out forra run early tomorrow morning, but remind me which day of the week it is and I'll jog along and stretch my lungs.
Out for a few pints yesterday afternoon, early evening with my brother. Resisted the temptation to carry it on as I had a 9.30 tee off today v my 71yo uncle near Cupar in Fife. Lovely day, and I won the last to scrape a draw. Home to rake out the moss from the 'lawn', and I'll go downstairs shortly to watch Andy Murray shake that major monkey off his back.

LS

10/09/2012 at 21:25

I went out for a sub 3.45 at Kent a week ago but at 11 miles I started to fal apart but hung on for a 3.56 still a minute quicker than the week before but just run out of Stamina these days  

11/09/2012 at 12:36
Surely you can only go for a time if youve done the training that allows you to run at that pace. Was it an achievable goal Davy?

Out at 6am today n did my hilly 7.43 mile route. Wasnt chasing a time, but I certainly felt the benefit of running a 13 miler each of the last 3 weeks. The legs felt much stronger coming up the hills. Ended up 7.50 pace, but I recall recent efforts on that route feeling much tougher at 8.15 pace. Spent the morning finishing off a wee breeze block wall. Back to work tomorrow. Must remember n put in a holiday request for Ryder Cup Friday. Im sure you'll be the same Badger?

Is it still 76 years since an Englishman won a tennis grand slam event....?!

Little Stoker
Edited: 11/09/2012 at 12:37
11/09/2012 at 18:54

It was possibly a bit optimistic given my lack of training but sometimes you just gotta gamble, Gt Langdale in 12 days will be tough to go sub 4 but October 6th will be my next shot at a sub 3.45 - flat course that I know well

12/09/2012 at 09:04

My birthday is on the Saturday of Ryder Cup weekend, Stoker. Woking are also at home, so it's beer, football, beer, BBQ and golf all the way.

Had a rubbish 5 miler at work on Monday. Just couldn't get going properly, no rhythm. So, belted out a cracking intervals session last night. Did the same session as last week, 10 x 1 min fast with 1 min recoveries over a 4 mile course. Half of the fast efforts were sub-6 mins. Consequently, the jog recoveries were slower but I wanted to get the heart rate lower at those points anyway. Averaged 7.30 for the whole run, so pleased overall, especially as I was knackered after cheeing on "Britain's" Andy Murray until the early hours. well done the Dunblane boy.

SB

18/09/2012 at 13:46

Boo!

So, I loaned the book I read on holiday (about a marathon addict) to a workmate and he's blamed me for him entering the Florence marathon. My penance is to take him through interval and tempo sessions each week until the end of November (race time). I've also given him my magic formula schedule which should see him do around 3.30 or better.
We staretd today and it was a good first session. 0.5 mile warm-up, 12 x 1 min fast and 1 min recoveries - 1.25 mile warm down, 5 miles in total. The fast pace splits were:

5.15 - 5.37 - 5.48 - 6.06 - 5.59 - 6.17 - 6.11 - 6.26 - 6.04 - 6.33 - 6.13 - 6.11

I know you love a stat, Stoker!!

SB

18/09/2012 at 20:43
See I think you'd both be better going for half a dozen Guinness and discussing race day and training strategy.... But what do I know?
Felt lousy the weekend so didnt run. Went out last night n did my hilly 7.43 miler @ 7.50 pace. I'll go out again tomorrow night then 13 miles Saturday morning, then 18 holes of gowf.
LS
21/09/2012 at 13:05

Took my protgegé on a tempo session yesterday. 6 miles on an out and back route that had the profile of a ceral bowl. The 3 miles back were nasty for me as I don't do uphill very often. He does yet I was quicker on tyhe flat and downhill bits. Just goes to show, horses for courses.

Did the lot at 7.24 pace, pretty pleased with that gievn the tough course. Went home and played football for an hour. Legs are mashed today.

Will try and do a 9 miler over the weekend before the next interval session on Monday.

With this new training focus, maybe I should enter a race?

SB

22/09/2012 at 08:10

Done my 12.84 mile lap of Dundee. Another beautiful but frosty morning along the riverside. 4 weeks ago I did this at 8.32 pace. 3 weeks ago it came down to 8.20. 2 weeks ago it was 8.15. Last week I woke up feeling terrible so didnt do it. Ran it today n felt good all the way around, and finished well to end up at 8.01 pace. Thats almost proper running! I said to my mates they'll have to go low 1.40's to challenge me at Glen Campbell, n that woulda been sub 1.45 with the extra quarter mile. The race is on November 10th, so plenty time to shave even more off.

Time for a bath, read the papers, then I'll find out when I'm playing golf later.

LS

22/09/2012 at 20:51
Won the last 3 holes to save a half against my elder brother.
Just back from the pub. Saw an old schoolmate in the boozer.
Gnight.
24/09/2012 at 14:31

I'll never understand this running lark. One day it's rubbish and the next it's great.

Rubbish 7.6 miler yesterday. honestly it was absolutely sh!t! Ran at 7.50 pace and it felt like such hard work. Really disappointed when I got in.
Today, did a lunchtime 5 mile interval session with a mate. 12 x 1 min fast with 1 min recoveries and around a mile at each end for w/up and w/down. half of the splits were sub-6 pace and the rest were low 6s.

Didn't want to do the session, hated doing the session, really glad I did the session.

2 days off running and then 6 miles of tempo on Thursday.

Ryder Cup week!!

SB

28/09/2012 at 12:39
I wrote a really long post the other day n lost it.
Ggggggggrrrrrrr!!!!
Sat on my setee at 12.27 like a kid outside the living room door early on Christmas morning. The Ryder Cup is coming on! I booked today off work. Stayed up til 1am last night watching re-runs of the 2006 match, then got up at 5.10am and went out to do my weekend 12.84 miler today so I can have an uninterrupted weekend n drink red wine at night if I want to!?!
8.15 pace today. Head wasnt quite fully focused to chase a faster pace but I was happy with what I did on a blowy day.
At teatime I have the pleasure of leaving the couch to drive my wife n kids across Scotland to Glasgow airport for their holiday in Turkey.
Happy running folks.
LS.
30/09/2012 at 18:30
Out this morning at 7 for a wee 7 miler. Just to get the miles in. 8.19 pace. 6 weeks til Glen Campbell. Ive laid the foundations. Time to ramp it up and add the speed. Wife n kids are sweltering in Turkey. Im in Forfar tomorrow. Not quite the same..
Badger, are you a Ryder Cup zombie?
LS
01/10/2012 at 01:36
Just climbing into bed now after the most incredible 7 hours of sport ever!
Alarm set for 5.30.
Still laughing at the faces of Dufner n Bradley sat at the closing ceremony.
Badger. Did you enjoy that??!?
LS
01/10/2012 at 11:37

Hello Remember me

I entered London but didn't tell anyone till the results were out. I didn't get in so i entered Milton Keynes 2 weeks and a day later than London (31 weeks today)

At the moment my training is nowhere near what it should be for marathon training so the first aim is to build it up between now and end of year (13weeks)

Not read back but nice to see Little Stoker and Badger still here

01/10/2012 at 18:26
Give us an idea where you currently are Pammie, n me n the Badger will cobble together for you a rough n ready tough of the track training plan. Ive only been running once or twice a week, but am up to doin a near 13 miler on a weekend the last 5 or 6 weeks. Just gradually raise your long run benchmark by gradually getting fitter.
Im looking forward to my half marathon in 6 weeks time, chuffed that Ive done great groundwork early on. I hope you feel the same early next year.
LS
02/10/2012 at 03:25

Morning

Hi there Little Stoker Still working nights hence the post now Nowhere where i was in 2008 training wise Considering where i was in 2010/11 i'm doing great at the moment doing 30 mile weeks now the odd one a bit shorter like last week as had a 5km on and i have 10km this sunday.

Are you on fetch i can't remember all my training is there done 100 mile months  every month since June while which isn't great better than where i was last year when i only did 555. Thats bad. So since May  i have been running every day (yes streaking again) and mainly doing no pressure running enjoying it so to say whist getting to slowly build up the mileage
Can comfortably run 10 miles now though not regularly  but probably a few times a month though only once in September main aim first get up to a 2 hour run about 12/13 miles and then work from there

Good luck with your half, which one re you doing?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.