A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Sub 3:45 Group

29,281 to 29,300 of 29,708 messages
14/10/2012 at 20:14
Nice going Stoker

Lars - that is some perserverence there! Well done on getting the time in Berlin

HeOw - welcome! I'd say you might need a slightly quicker HM time for a good crack at 3.45, but you're going in the right direction.

2 weeks to go before the Town Moor marathon and today i ran the Great Eastern Run HM as a nice lttle tester. Aim was slightly faster than marathon pace - basically wanted to settle into a pace i knew i could keep to comfortably for 13 miles. Ended up with a 1.36.02 which was quicker than i thought i would do but it all felt nice and easy, even managed a one minute negative split. So now more confident about the marathon and i will definitely be setting off at a little under 8 minutes miling and see what happens. I still don't think i will get a PB but think i should have a pretty good run with any luck.
14/10/2012 at 23:36

Blimey! The Indians have gone as far as Brechin. Who'd have thought? Hope it was good Stokesy Boy!?

Took the tribe to Wembley on Friday to see us 'stuff' a pub side 5-0. Strange feeling, leaving a game thinking that your team had woefully underperformed after troubling the onion bag five times.

After my idiot of a mate thought it was a good idea to enter a 26.2 Kilomathon (16.3 miles) in just 2 weeks time and I was stupid enough to enter it with him, I had to up the distance today. Did a 12 miler in 1.35 at 7.55 pace. Decided to run it at a lower heart rate (143 bpm) and it all felt quite comfy. I would have gone for a 13.1 miles but had to get home, get changed and manage my u16 team in an important league match at football.

Not sure I'll race in 2 weeks, I might just smell the roses and enjoy high-fiving the crowd as I won't be on top of my game, never done that distance so a PB is guarantee. I've never been in an event where I just use it as a training run, so this will be a novelty.

Intervals loom at lunchtime tomorrow...

SB

15/10/2012 at 09:15

Nicely done SB   I think using races as training runs is a good idea - but you do need to have a plan and stick to it. Mine for yesterday was based on how I felt, rather than a time or pace goal. I knew I would back off if the pace was too quick - I wanted to feel the same at the end as I did at the start and I think I pretty much achieved that, especially as I had something left to quicken up at the end (mile 13 was my fastest of the race). I did a few high fives with the kids too   It also means I think I should be on for a new HM PB in Norwich at the end of November, assuming I get through the marathon OK first...

15/10/2012 at 14:46

Punishing intervals with my colleague today. Did the same as last week: 8x90x90.

Surprisingly, we were quicker in 5 of the reps, marginally slower in 2 and identical in 1.
Five of the 8 efforts were sub-6 pace too. Averaged 7.27 for the 5 mile circuit. Quite pleased with that after yesterday’s 12 miler.

Tough sessions these but they really do deliver he goods come race day.

SB

16/10/2012 at 22:42

my brother, who at 44 is a year older than me, decided he needed to get fit n feel better about himself. He has always smoked n likes a pint or 3. Tonight I gave him a couple of running shirts, a kagoul, n a pair of decent running shorts n we went out for our first run. We plodded up the hill to the industrial estate. I set off to do my quick laps (1.06 mile) with him at his pace. I reckoned he might struggle to do 2 laps non stop, but I only just about caught sight of him on his 3rd n my 4th. He finished his 3 laps in about 29 mins, n I did my 4.24 miles in 29.58. Fetch is down, so what is that? 7.04 min mile pace? Happy with that as last week was 7.20, albeit for 5 laps. He stopped after his 3 laps, but was up for a steady plod with me for a 4th lap, so on his debut, with the wee hill up n down to the estate added, that was 4.6 miles he did. Ive set him up on fetch, n he understands how to use gmap, so fingers crossed Ive landed me another disciple who has daft visions of being quicker than me one day?!?!? Big brothers, what are they like?

Badger, when you goto Rio, I highly recommend the view from the top of Corcovado, the Christ the Redeemer statue. Im making alternative plans for 2014....

17/10/2012 at 17:16

Can't believe I'm sat at my desk watching BBC text and twitter updates because those rubbish Poles couldn't get their act together and watch a weather forecast then shut a £400 million stadium roof!!!

Took my anger out on a tempo run with my marathon training mate. he's never really done proper tempo work but still wanted to do over 8 miles. After looking a the various route options I managed to talk him down to a 7.6 miler.

The route was bookended with two 150 ft hills, one mile each. He's great on hills but not so hot at fast paced sustained running, tempo. We managed the whole trip at 7.14 pace. His gasping comment at the end was, "that was fugging brutal!!"

That'l learn 'im!

Personally really pleased as it's my fastest pace for over a year and on a nasty course too. We were 7.05 pace going into the last uphill mile.

Looks like you're in good form Stoker. Keep it up lad. Will you be applying for the soon to be vacant Scotland manager role?

SB

Edited: 17/10/2012 at 17:18
18/10/2012 at 20:52

The Indians never got to Brechin, but the Romans only got a mile or so North of it. The remains of the Northernmost Roman fort was discovered nearby recently.
"An expedition at Stracathro, near Brechin, Angus, has found the church in which John Balliol adbicated his throne to Edward I in 1296.
The English monarch became known as the "hammer of the Scots" after deposing Balliol and taking the famous Stone of Destiny from Scone Palace, the crowning place of Scottish kings, to Westminster Abbey.
Balliol's ceremonial disrobing, described as one of the saddest hours in Scottish history, was known to have taken place in a church in the Angus countryside."

Thats yer wee bit of history for the day.

Went out tonight again with my brother. His legs were stiff but he was busting to get out. I explained that his legs were no longer fresh like Tuesdays.... We only did 2.93 miles at 9.45 pace, whereas he did 3.18 Tuesday at 9.07 pace, but he was shattered tonight. I've advised him to do nothing now til Tuesday, when we'll do one of those runs again n see what time we get on 'rebuilt' runners legs.
Only 3 weeks til Glau Coma...

18/10/2012 at 22:51

Those times seem quite alien, yet all things are relative when it comes to personal achivement. There's a girl at work who's determined to get her 10k time down to sub 60. She's a larger girl and wants to do something about it. She did 1.07 in a 10k last week and we were both chuffed. I told her that her rate of progression will see her sub-60 by next spring. She can't quite believe it but I've told her that she's already displayed the will power to see it through. She's come from nothing this year to doing 67 mins in a 10k AND she's doing it all on her own. Brilliant!

I think I'm more excited for her than I am myslef hitting a 16 mile PB next week.
Such a buzz coaching/assisting newbies at this game.

SB 

19/10/2012 at 10:55

I know what you mean SB - a couple of non-running friends of mine both did HMs last year, and from zero to 13.1 they both achieved their goals (sub 2.15).  And they are both still running which is fantastic to see.  They were a bit cautious at first to ask me any advice but once they realised we are all pretty much all the same and speed is just relative it was great.

A week and 2 days to go until my marathon - feeling the usual state of taper madness...i.e. convincing myself I have no endurance or speed and it is all going to go t*ts up on the day

19/10/2012 at 12:01

Ha-haa! Taper madness. I remember it and I hate it. Totally illogical and iratiotinal but we still put oursleves thorugh it. I remember sitiing on the train going to FLM09 and totally convincing myself I couldn't run and I'd barely make the first mile.

I guess the message is havie faith in the training and the rest looks after itself.

I've binned the leaving drinks for a colleague after work tonight in order to get my 14 miler done before football training tomorrow morning. Out the door by 7.00am, Stoker style!

SB

19/10/2012 at 23:08

....that's a lie in compared to me!
Tonight I took in the Friday night Dundee v Inverness Caley Thistle match. In the words of Julia Roberts, "Big mistake, BIG mistake !!" We were 2-0 down after 4 minutes, but the standard of the football on show was appalling. Full backs hiding from the short pass. 3 passes then the inevitable hoof down the channel to the big lump up front. We left after 72 minutes when 2-1 down and luckily missed 2 more late Inverness goals. I declined the offer of a few pints after with my brother n mate as I have a 5.20am alarm call.

Yeah, everything is relative. We feel like superstars, but are joggers compared to some. Might go on gmap in a sec n plot a different route for a change tomorrow. If Burgess Meredith in Rocky was correct with his famous "Women weaken legs" line, then by rights, I should be able to give Mo Farah a run for his money, as in November, it will be a year since my last indoor tempo session......

Little Stroker

20/10/2012 at 08:20

How was the run Badger ? I went out just before 6, n did a completely different loop around Dundee. Through all the rough estates you can only go thro at this time! 13.23 miles in 1.45.23 which was 7.58 pace. Felt strong all the way around without having to dig deep at all. I'm gonna push next weeks midweek runs n my 13 miler harder, as I need to get accustomed to 'zombieland'. Had my soak in the tub, n am now off for the papers.
Have a great weekend folks.

LS

21/10/2012 at 17:41

Sounds like we had very similar runs, Stoker. I did 14 miles at 7.57 pace. Deliberately went slow by keeping the heart rate to around 140bpm. Also chose a hilly route to get some leg strengthening in.

Funny thing at 7 miles, I completely lost focus, all motivation just went. Plodded on and hoped I'd snap out of it. Wiped sweat off my face and somehow tore my right contact lens. I didn't want to stop, so ran with blurred vision for 5 miles. That strangely gave me a new focus (how ironic!) and I had a good last few miles which were the most hilly. Final mile made the legs scream but it was my longest run for 3 years.

Job done and I'm ready to enjoy the easy stoll at the Kilomathon next week.

SB

22/10/2012 at 19:37

and following the 14 LSR on Saturday, did 5 miles of intervals today.

7 reps of 2 mins hard with 2 min recoveries, 200ft incline for the initial warm-up mile.

Excellent session, felt much better than Saturday. 5 of the 7 reps were under 6-min pace. Great to see progress being made.

SB

22/10/2012 at 20:54

..and following the 13 miler Saturday, I did a hilly 7.43 miler tonight.

Felt strong going up the hills, and wasnt having to recover on the sections following the climbs. Great feeling feeling strong all the way round without the usual shuffle towards the end. 7.37 pace and comfy. Big confidence booster for the weeks ahead.

LS

22/10/2012 at 22:14

We seem to have some running momentum going Stokesy Boy? Good work Sir. Anyone would think it's March, not October. I'll be the fittest I've ever been this Christmas. Already looking forward to ruining it all with plenty of beer and bad food. 

SB

23/10/2012 at 08:58

Great run Stoker..it's always good to get a run like that when the pace feels easy and quick

SB - same as you, I've never been in this shape at this time of year, but then again I've never done an autumn marathon before.  Just hoping I carry the momentum over through Christmas so I'm in a good place come the start of the VLM campaign!  Is it the kilomathon this coming weekend?

23/10/2012 at 10:23

Yep, this Sunday. Starts at the Lee Valley Athletics Stadium and ends at the Olympic conoe venue. I have a 7.6 mile tempo session with my marathon training colleague and then nothing unil Sunday. As I said before, I won't race it as such but will go for a sub -2.10 to give myself a conservative target. The mate I'm running it with will be going all out for a decent time. I'm mostly looking forward to the post race burgers!

SB

24/10/2012 at 17:31

Took the protegé out on an 8 mile tempo at lunchtime. I ran off his shoulder as I didn't want to push too hard what with the Kilomathon on Sunday. I was really pleased with how it went. We averaged 7.07 pace and he beat his 5k and 10k PBs as well as setting his fastest ever for the 8 mile distance.

At one point we were on a slight incline, on a patch with a grass verge between us and the road. A bloke in his 50s approached us on his bike. About 30 metres from us, he suddenly twisted on his bike, skidded on the verge and crashed to the ground, it was quite bizarre. I told my mate to carry on while I assisted. Turns out he had sudden cramp and went down like being shot from a grassy knoll!

My mate was surprised at how quickly I came back to him and led him home. I had plenty in the bank and could have gone round at sub-7 pace I reckon (3 of the miles were anyway).

Buzzing now. Not sure how to run the event on Sunday, I seem to be in decent form to puush it a bit?

SB

24/10/2012 at 20:05

Badger, our recent long run times were similar but you truly are flying. My one n only 10k was 44.17 at 7.08 pace. My best ever run was my 9.57 miler at 7.10 pace before FLM08. Did 5.7 at 7.20 pace a couple of weeks ago, n could probably stretch that to 7ish off better runs recently. Noticed tonight how most of my runs are now 7.something whereas theyve been stuck at 8-8.30 for a while. I think I could have managed 16 miles at 7.58 pace Saturday, so you should be looking lower again.

I still dont know how to run Glau Coma. Its a rollercoaster of a course so the miles are irregular depending where the hills are. Plus Ive been running great recently not looking at all at my watch. If I do Im then thinking too much about pace rather than just running well n confidently n letting the miles fly by. It'll be low 1.40's, n I should comfortably beat my mates, but I would like it to be quicker than any training 13 miler Ive done.

Went out with my brother tonight. He was sat in Ma n Pa's in his running kit waiting for me when I got in from work. We only managed a mile n a half when he pulled up with a  sharp pain in his foot. He felt it last week, so its probably due to him wearing trainers that arent quite running shoes. White Nikes in the running style but without the true support. Told him its frozen peas for a while n wallet out. I carried on n did 5 laps of the estate then home to Mama's spag bolognese. So this week, with what might be a chilly Saturday 13 miler, will be a 3 run 26 mile week, rather than the average 2 run 18-20 miler.

Cheers all.

LS

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.