A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Sub 3:45 Group

29,441 to 29,460 of 29,716 messages
17/12/2012 at 23:05

My schedule starts tomorrow , 8 miles with some strides...nice .

Euph its now 17th December and as far as I am concerned its STILL not Christmas for another week, I don't celebrate my own birthday till the actual day let alone anyones I dont know !!! (sorry to all religious peeps ) well actually I tell a lie, nice looooong christmas lunch and afternoon in the pub today 

SB wow thanks for that info on owls I will sleep a lot better tonight  for knowing that 

18/12/2012 at 12:29

It's all part of the service, Nursey.

I'm now in week 2 of my campaign and it's going well so far. Had a nice mudfest of a recovery run on Sunday and did a 10k tempo session yesterday. Broke 42 mins for the first time and averaged 6.44, quite surprised. The speedwork I did with my mate to help him do the Florence mara has given me quite a good base to start my Paris plan.

Good luck with the session tomorrow NN, sounds like you're really looking forward to a bit of speedwork.

I have a dentist appointment today. It's 21 years since my last one, so God knows what he's going to find! Best take my credit card with the bigger limit.

SB

18/12/2012 at 12:35
Sporty Badger wrote (see)

It's all part of the service, Nursey.

I have a dentist appointment today. It's 21 years since my last one, so God knows what he's going to find! Best take my credit card with the bigger limit.

SB

What time is your appointment, tooth hurty ???!!

18/12/2012 at 12:55

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^  LIKE  ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ 

The old ones are the oldest!

SB

18/12/2012 at 20:06

....he's not here all week .....is he..?

20/12/2012 at 23:14

Slightly longer LSR tonight. 13.1 miles in 1.39. Bad stomach cramps on 11 miles,  had to stagger for a bit. Not sure why. I'm using a new drink, so maybe it's a matter of getting used to it?

Hope the campaign started well NN?

SB

21/12/2012 at 14:51

Hi all. Close enought to Christmas now for me to say "Merry Christmas to all for next week"

Good start to the campaigns NN and SB. SB - Probably just the drink if cramps, I had similar issues at Hull marathon this year as taking on gels when I usually drinks and proper food or biscuits and such for sweet food. Sure you'll get used to it with practice.

Still running quite a lot myself without any particular ambition or aim next year, just know I won't get chance soon and it allows me to try and process my thoughts and clear my mind slightly of the myriad of things going on. Lots of runs to work and back the last few weeks and have been enjoying more despite wind, rain, frost, etc.. Got some ok routes now despite the town centre office, its quite nice running through the decorated and lit streets, then I've found away to avoid the major road crossing and often head around the marina and along the river front at the victoria dock village, which is quite nice for an urban run. Extended these runs further on Saturday by running from Clares into town taking every long way around possible, then following riverfront past and over dock buildings (using high walkway over rooves designed for people to "see off" ships). Then meandered around West of town before getting to my house for nearly 19m. Did some tidying up (tennent moving in January) and then ran back a more direct 6.5m route before family meal out on the night. Longest road run I've done since April, not completely unenjoyable

Edited: 21/12/2012 at 14:53
21/12/2012 at 15:06

That's a good sounding effort there Euphster. Always like reading the paintings you write.

I also had a few nerves on the go last night. I had an endoscopy today where they stuck a camera down my throat and into my guts for a good old filming session. Decided to man-up and not be sedated. That was interesting! I'm sure Nursey knows all about it but it scared the hell out of me. A bit uncomfortable but worth it to hear the guy say all clear at the end. I've told the wife that I'll drive when we go to dinner with friends tonight. Not the best decision I've made, I could really do with a big relaxing beer right now.

Come on NN, how's the start of the campaign!

Anyone else been 'banned' from running on Christmas day? I have 'stuff' to do for the masses descending upon us apparently. I love a little bijou runette on Chrimbo morning, everyone says hello, very rare in these southern parts.

SB

21/12/2012 at 21:22

Rooves??
I havent run in nearly 2 weeks coz I'm dead lazy! Its been raining a lot up here. I'll be at my sisters in Aberdeen on Boxing Day, so will pack the trainers n see how many family members I can drag out for a jog, as there'll be maybe a dozen adults kipping overnight, not to mention maybe 25 kids. Last Saturday, I somehow managed to roll off the setee during the night, so now have a carpet burn on my temple, as well as a sore tongue, where I bit down on the end on impact?? .....AND I only had half a glass of wine before bed. I'll run tomorrow morning. The boss is insisting on dragging us in on Christmas Eve, then we're off til the 3rd or 4th. By then, I should definitively know where the rest of my life is heading, as I've said to my wife that I can't let things meander on into 2013. The line in the sand is Hogmanay, and she needs to decide one way or t'other.
Last night, I stumbled across the world of google+, and so am just getting to grips now with all that that entails. For a man with exemplary school qualifications from the late 80's, I am thick as $#it in the world of the interweb.

Merry Christmas folks.
Another year grumbles past, but console yourselves that we are all ageing far slower than our non running contemporaries.

So eat loads of mince pies n drink like a fish!

Stoker

27/12/2012 at 21:09

Hope everyone has had a good christmas, managed some running, ate well and drank like a fish (if desired). And hope the big decision goes way you want LS.

Not a lot of booze for me as became a dad on Christmas day  Little Isaac born 6.52, baby and Clare are well.

Edited: 27/12/2012 at 21:11
28/12/2012 at 17:31

Euphster! Wicked Skills fella! Congratulations and well done on the date, could save money in the long run!! 

I'm sure you and a few mates can go out and wet the baby's head ove rtehnext couple of days? has to be done!

I'e somehow managed to keep to the Paris plan with a tempo 6 miler Xmas eve, 6.5 miles of intervals tonight and a 16 miler tomorrow. It's all pretty much a big excuse to keep eating and drinking...Huzzaaar!!

I'll have one for mini-Euph tonight..

Hope you're all having a good one!! 

SB

29/12/2012 at 00:07

Huge congratulations Euph.
Ive had the boy wonder down to Dundee with me for a few days. He's a cracking lad of 11 n a half, and great company. Its the gift that keeps giving (and occasionally taking!!!) To me its a million times bigger than your wedding day, the day you become a parent. Life for you has changed forever. And completely for the better.
Conversation with the missus on the 27th went poorly, so it was time to sit the kids down n let them know that its odds on that their Ma n Pa will be divorcing next year n the house will have to be sold, if I'm to move on with my life. I guess after 20 months apart, the divorce wouldn't be a great surprise to them, though the house sale maybe was.
Out for a run tomorrow. Managed 5.5 miles on the 27th to shake off a very boozy Boxing Day with the family.
My wife n my mother both seperately bought me things to trim nose n ear hair etc. Am I getting old??

29/12/2012 at 09:48

Had a doze on the setee before watching the arrows last night, which for me means I didnt immediately drop off to sleep at bedtime. Ended up having a cuppa n going to bed at 2am. Maybe nodded off at 2.45, yet still got up at 6.45 to go for a jog in the wild n dark n wet, even though it was just a slow 8.32 paced 7.43 mile plod with no race to train for. I wondered in the first 100 yards through driving rain if I should pop into the hospital for mental health issues I run past for a check up, but realised that this is who I am. It relieves me of my stress, and gives me something to feel positive about. I'm pretty sure my son has ambition to smash to smithereens every paltry pb I've ever set when he is older, and I'd love to be able to train with him when he is old enough, in 6 n a quarter years, to enter marathons etc.
Euph, are the nappies still a blend of Marmite n treacle? ha ha.
Cool name Isaac.

29/12/2012 at 11:14

Sorry to hear the summit talks didn't go the way you wanted LS. Good luck with the final arrangements in the new year.

I had an LSR disaster this morning. Christmas has been pretty busy and squeezing sesions in has been difficult but I've managed to do it. however, doing a brutal intervals session just 13 hours before a 16 miler in a howling wind was not one of my finest plans but I had to get the session done.

Right from the first step, my legs felt like mile 20 of a marathon but the body was fine and willing. Got to 13.5 miles and gave up..GAVE UP!! My reasoning was that I have some more big training coming up and I could feel pain and injury coming on. The bigger picture was more important than the last coule of miles. 

I stopped the watch, 7.44 pace which was slower than the 13.1 from last week, so I didn't go out too quick, it was purely leg fatigue. I ran the last mile as a warm down, so I can also say I've run 14.5 today.

Gutted but I think I did the smart thing?

I think it was Nursey who asked if I would run a speed session the day before an LSR, the answer is, never again!!

SB

Edited: 29/12/2012 at 14:28
30/12/2012 at 13:56

Just did a 4.1 mile recovery run at 7.13 pace. I think I took some anger out on the road after yesterday 

SB

02/01/2013 at 16:37

Happy New Year folks.
Back to work tomorrow. My new diary won't let me know in advance how many miles I'll be running this year and recording in it. Seemingly I have to actually run them first... I'll go out for a plod tonight n get things started, then I'll have a think on goals n targets n races etc. Are we all surrounded by friends n family who are 'definitely' gonna get fit this year, and who will 'definitely' run a marathon etc etc. I had one, who said he would but found it very difficult with his shift patterns etc. ( He can barely run a mile, so would only need to find 15 minutes to get started...? ) Some find excuses n some find answers.
Massive changes in the Euph household in 2013, and the Boy Badger is set to smash his marathon pb on the streets of Paree. I should, and probably will apply to do Loch Ness in the Autumn. Anyone else planning anything major?

Stoker

02/01/2013 at 19:43

You made me Google Loch Ness marathon...it's on my birthday! 

That's got me thinking...

SB

02/01/2013 at 20:15

If we did it, we'd only be together at the start, n if you waited for me at the finish! Or would the thought of chasing Badger inspire me to get even fitter...? Could I rediscover the enthusiasm I had in 2007/08/09? Its a rollercoaster course that is slightly downhill overall, with Loch Ness on your left throughout. They drive you on buses 26.2 miles outside of Inverness n you run back. London, Paris, Inverness, Glen Clova.....what tales to bore the grandkids with in the years to come!
Went out tonight n ran 5.66 miles with the wee sandbaggy velcro strappy weight things in my hands.2.5lbs each. 8.09 pace n it felt very comfy. I did the same thing last January, but after 3 or 4 runs, I blinked n went out without them n never picked em up again. I'd like to carry it on longer this year.

05/01/2013 at 17:55

Much better LSR today. Needed a confidence boost after last week's disaster. Two rest days paid off after doing back to back speed sessions in the week (another broken rule but I was very busy).

Went with my pal, didn't really get into my running until the 6th mile as I didn't take a big enough puff of my inhaler. Had a very strong run and we did 18 miles at 7.33 pace. Probably too quick but we kept pulling ourselves back at various points and chatted most of the way.

The signs are good, hopefully I can at least do that pace in Paris for the 26.2 and it will gurantee a PB. Long way to go though.

SB

08/01/2013 at 20:51

Ran my hilly 7.43 miler on Sunday morning, n felt like an unfit novice. Ended up at 8.32 pace n it wasnt easy? Went out tonight n did exactly the same route, yet cruised round at 7.51 pace with plenty in the tank? Answers please, as before Sunday, my previous run was the Wednesday, so I wasnt tired.
Anyone see the Griff Rhys Jones programme on the River Tay last night? Beautiful Kenmore, Loch Tay, Aberfeldy etc. Thats where I'll be tomorrow. Was up in Thurso Monday, which is half an hour from John O' Groats. Anyone considering the LE to JOG, needs to know the last 100 miles are in some parts like the hilly climbs on the Tour De France.
Aim is 1,000 miles this year.
And hopefully, unlike 2012, maybe be less than celibate the entire 12 months!?!?!

Stonker

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.