A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Sub 3:45 Group

29,481 to 29,500 of 29,720 messages
23/01/2013 at 18:31

Nope.
Still cant see why to celebrate an achievment you would want to forever vandalise your blemish free milky white skin.
Its like pissing your name in the snow of your back garden the morning after a blizzard n thinking the scene looks better?! I'm proud of my kids, pb's, 67 break at snooker, and my 35 yard thunderbolt at Canford Park in Westbury-on-Trym in Bristol in 1993, but the only time others will be aware of these facts is if I'm pissed n telling stories!
I think everyone who has umpteen agrees, because the ridiculousness of one is covered up by many to disguise the stupidity. In for a penny etc.
No one keeps a thought to themself nowadays. Everything has to be broadcast via twitter, facebook, texting, public blogs, or tattoos. Life has to be 100mph, and tatts are like fashion, except fashion changes, but people who rush into getting arse antlers etc dont stop n think.
Had my eldest daughters parents night last night. It was "enlightning", and unless her Momma changes tact and drops the softly softly approach to parenting, she'll blink n be out of school with an abysmal set of results. GGGRRRRR!!

Just had a big bowl of mince n tatties, so no run tonight. Got my first funeral in years on Friday. An old mate who had heart problems. Hope the weather is kind.

Stoker

24/01/2013 at 00:29

Heard a woman interviewed on the radio a few years ago. She said that her friend had the most amazing red rose tattoo artistically inked around her belly button. A true work of art. Alas that was in her early twenties. Two kids and 10 years later it looked like a faded picture of an old wilted red cabbage. Her young expression of using herself as a true life youthfull canvas was now the focus of beach holiday ridicule and the wish for high waisted fashion in bikini bottoms.

Just say no kids...unless you're an Olympian.

Oh yeah, 6 miles of intervals today (well, yesterday now..just back from the pub). It's all going OK thus far. 2 days rest and then another 20 miler on Saturday.

Marathons: I love 'em and I fuggin' hate 'em. Probably the best way I can describe the whole experience of training. If only there were a shortcut to prepare us for the race day glory/disappointment/exultation experience. But then again it wouldn't give that sense of achievement?

SB

29/01/2013 at 10:06

Isaac is 5 weeks old today, he's doing great, got his dads nose, mouth, mums eyes, dads legs

Hope the marathon trainings going well? Not sure how but will break 100m in January if I run more than 5 on Thursday run (which I most probably will). If any of the marathoners have done less this month "your slacking"

29/01/2013 at 20:08

143 for me euphster. Should have been 153 but had to bail out after just 10 miles of a 20 miler on Saturday. From absolutely nowhere, my right achilles just seemed to give up. Lot's of sharp pain. Tried to stretch and massage it but had to abort the run. Mum-in-law lived nearby so I hobbled round and she drove me home.

Haven't run on the road since. Went to the gym last night to test it on the x-trainer, that was OK, tried the stepper, fine, then risked 10 mins on the treadmill, did some stretching and then did another 5 mins on the ready. All felt fine so I don't think it's a bad one. In fact, the achilles feels fine it's the surrounding area that seems affected. That's a relief as that may be quicker to heal.

So, it's a week off for me with lots of icing, dipping the foot in hot water buckets to encourage the blood flow and cross training. Have a spinning class tomorrow night. Will try a road run once I can do 30 mins on thr tready without any problems.

I'm hoping that this will be an overall recovery week and I can get back with the programme soon and feel stronger, just like a mini-taper. Fingers crossed.

SB

29/01/2013 at 20:53

Nope.
Sorry.
Ive given all the evidence careful consideration, n I think your achilles is beyond repair.

Ice baths etc wont cut the mustard.......

http://0.tqn.com/d/urbanlegends/1/0/8/i/GunDamage_sm.jpg

29/01/2013 at 22:52

OUCH!!

30/01/2013 at 12:51

Good luck with the achilles (or surrounding area issue, have you been neglecting the 'soleus stretch' - the less obvious of the two main calve stretches? http://www.ehow.com/how_3005_stretch-calf-muscles.html). I'll admit I'm pretty terrible at stretching, thankfully my range of motion tends to stiffen up more often than I strain things because I usually do lots of miles, but a mostly steady or slower pace.

LS - haha

07/02/2013 at 21:40

Quiet on here.
Apologies for the polar bear lunch pic...
Well in January I ran a measly 44 miles, but haven't run a yard in nearly 3 weeks. Just laziness n lack of motivation. So I sorted that out tonight n went online and entered the Angus Ham Half Marathon on the 21st of April and also the Edinburgh Half Marathon on the 26th of May. Maybe its my nationality, but forking out £46 hurts, so I now have to ensure that the money isnt wasted. My 2 protegees from Glen Clova are continuing their seamless glide into competitive running and are also doing both. 10 weeks til the first one, so no excuses, and I'm sure the 3 of us will be flying come the second one 5 weeks later.
My new regime starts tomorrow, as Ive wolfed down a large glass of red plonk tonight!

Stoker

08/02/2013 at 16:15

Good to hear you're back on the race scene, Stoker. Those magnificent milky thighs will once again delight the lady racers and some of the men, no doubt.

I've been in an injury sulk for the past 2 weeks. I've been telling myself that it's like a mini taper and I won't lose any fitness. I have managed a spinning session, a 16 mile bike ride at tempo heart rate pace (one hour session) and a 3 mile walk. I did 30 mins on a treadmill last Sunday. On Tuesday I decided to try and do one hour on the treadmill. never done that long on one of those before but needed to test the injury. o aircon in the gym meant for a sweltering session. Managed to do 7.5 miles with a 5 min cool down at the end. Got some funny looks as I belted away while others either side got on and got off doing their little 10 minute stints.

Injury held up well so I tried 4 miles on the road last night. Went a bit too quick (7.07 pace) but the injury held up but I iced it straight after.

Saw the physio today and the signs are good. I've got a flat 5 mile route near my house, so I'm going to attempt 3 laps of it tomorrow. Should be interesting. If I pass that test I'll really feel like I'm back in the game.

Saw England beat Brazil at Wembley on wednesday. It was a rare occasion where watching England play live was actually quite enjoyable.

Enjoy your LSRs marathoners!

SB

09/02/2013 at 23:24
Run went so well I added 2 more to make it a 17 miler at 7.42 pace.

Back in the game!!

SB
10/02/2013 at 20:58

top bombing badger.
Really good pace too. Went out saturday morning n just plodded the 7.4 miler @ 8.19 pace. Good to get running again. 10 weeks to go. Watched Its a Wonderful Life with 2 of my kids yesterday. Favourite film ever. Yet still the wife managed to find fault with me so I came back to Dundee at 10pm n had 5 late pints. Today I had the same with my brother n Dad at a working mans club we first went to aged 18. This one is one of life's constants. Full of characters that keep your feet on the ground but rip the pish out of you with a huge smile on their face. Salt of the earth. Every man should have one.
In bed now.
The real training starts this week.
Stoker.

11/02/2013 at 21:15

Well I went out tonight, after having to convince myself that running in the cold was a better idea than slouching in the warm. My expectations were only to complete the run and do the miles, but my legs had other ideas. Through no instruction from me, they propelled me along initially at a decent pace, then carried on once it was clear I was ok at that pace. Didnt ever feel uncomfy, but kept it going n finished my (newly remeasured on fetch so I can just click on the route) hilly 7.45 miler in 57.15 for 7.41 pace. 4 minutes 36 seconds quicker than Saturdays effort? After 3 weeks of scratching my bum n being overfed by my Momma n drinking Guiness? The half marathon is in 10 weeks, n its the one I have embarassingly had to walk up a small section of the hill in the closing mile the last 2 years. I regained my crown over my 2 mates at Glen Campbell, and don't intend giving it back. 2 halfs fairly close together should be an ideal opportunity to get below 1.40. We'll see how the next 10 weeks go, but I'm feeling more optimistic afetr tonights jaunt.

Stoker

11/02/2013 at 22:37
Get in there Stoker!! Get a speedwork session once a week in your plan and you'll easily go sub 1.40.

SB
11/02/2013 at 22:45

Aye Badge, I intend to have a night each week where I batter around the laps of the industrial estate at an eye popping speed. I know the more used to real discomfort at faster speeds, then the easier the lesser speeds feel.
Tried to talk to the missus at the weekend, but her head seems permanently ready to explode, so the chat didnt last long. I even got it in the neck for spending 2 hours on the sofa cuddled up to two of my kids, as we watched It's a Wonderful Life together?!? Then she mentions that she's considering moving her n the kids back to Bristol when we divorce?
No wonder I enjoyed my Guinesses with my brother n old man on Sunday!
Thank goodness for the stress relieving properties of running. With the amount of stress relief I need, sub 1.40 should be a shoe in!!!

14/02/2013 at 21:06

Was gonna go out last night, but a 15 minute drive through the snow from Alyth to Dundee took 3 hours due to a jack knifed lorry, so I opted for watching fat Wayne Rooney huff n puff after the pretty boys of Madrid.
Went out tonight at 6.30. Decided to do my laps of the industrial estate. Didnt look at my watch at all n just ran at a pace I was comfy with. Ended up doing 8 laps, which is 8.86 miles @ 7.42 pace, n it felt good. There was still plenty in the tank. I'm gonna aim to do 3 runs a week. If I can run a marathon on that, then the half should be a doddle.
How will Pistorius do his midweek tempo runs in a 10 foot by 4 foot cell, with Big Bubba for company?

15/02/2013 at 13:25

Good work Stoker. I too will be adopting the 3 runs per week strategy but may shorten the weeks to just 5 days. After dealing with leg injuries, I now have man-flu. I was due to do a 20 miler tomorrow but I've had to bin it. managed a 4 miler yesterday but my heart rate was high so I had to hold back at 7.10 pace.

I knew the man-flu could be coming as I did teh 17 miler with a sore throat on Saturday. Thought I'd sweated the bug out on the gym treadmill on Monday, obviously not. That was a good session though. Knocked out the last 10 mins at 6.30 pace, I'm not sure the members have seen a machine get hammered like that before judging by the looks I was getting.

So, it's a take each day as it comes scenario. I have 6 training weeks before race week and must do at least 3 x 20 milers in that time and stay fit and healthy. We'll see.

SB

16/02/2013 at 09:20

Hi not posted on here for a while, trying to keep up with the P&D thread and 2013 marathon thread is hard enough.

Sorry to hear lifes not been so good LS women eh !..I know we only see your side of the story but  I cant quiet my head round the ones who threaten and use the kids to get at ex husbands.

Good luck with the half training 

And I wish I hadnt clicked on that fricking link..I ay be a nurse but I a quiet squeamish too hence working in rehab and not acute wards or A&E.

SB shame about the injury and niggles..seriously it would honestly help if you slowed down, I haven't missed a run since starting the schedule on 17th Dec..always keeping within suggested heart rate ranges and never trying to to big or clever by going too fast ...hope you get the next 6 weeks done without any more problems 

I have done 3 x 20s and a 21 so far, all just under 9s pace

Edited: 16/02/2013 at 09:21
16/02/2013 at 10:47

Nursey, I'm sure with your caring bedside manner and a bit of manipulation n stretches, you coulda had that polar bear fella's achilles back to full strength.
So, we are ranked a distant third when it comes to your threads, huh? Shocking, after all that I've done for you..
Went out at 7 this morning. Want to do 3 runs a week, so took it steady around my hilly 7 n a half miler. I 'took it steady' at 8.11 pace, but would feel that I was being lazy n wasting the opportunity to get fitter if I ran any slower. I'm pretty sure you run more than 3 times a week, so need to slow it down, but I'm feeling fresh every run.
Weighed myself today for the first time in ages. I was 12 stone 13 n a half pounds after my bath after my run, so with 3 weetabix and a coffee, we'll call it my standard 13 stone. Having a game of snooker with my old man today. Dont think I've ever played him on a full size table. He was a very good pool player 25 years ago, and I got to the heady heights of a 67 break in the early nineties in Bristol, so it should be a decent game.
Up to Brechin tomorrow morning to watch Scotlands 11 year old version of Gareth Bale play in a friendly.
Have a great weekend folks,

Stoker.

18/02/2013 at 20:55

Well Gareth McBale played a blinder. The boy can run! Scored two n set up one, when he picked it up at left back, n just rampaged down the left the full length of the pitch.Roll on August when the team move up to 11 a side and the wide open spaces of a full size pitch.
Went out for a run tonight. Had to force myself to put the shorts on as I was very close to having 40 winks after work. Standard 7.45 miler at 7.45 pace which was very comfy. Felt that wee improvement in the leg strength as I came up n over the hills.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1682180/
Cant remember Nicole Kidman asking permission, but there you go...

20/02/2013 at 22:11

Did the 8 laps of the industrial estate again tonight for 8.84 miles. Last weeks effort was 7.43 pace. Tonights was 7.33 pace, but the same level of effort. What a difference regular running does to times. Another 4 n a quarter miles at that pace n I'm there or thereabouts. Wasnt easy venturing out at 6, knowing that it was cold n windy, n that Momma had a plateful of homemade curry ready... Only the thought of being overtaken on that closing hilly mile in 8 weeks time got me out !

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.