A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Sub 3:45 Group

29,561 to 29,580 of 29,708 messages
25/04/2013 at 13:43

Oooh, I'll race you to sub-90! My PB is 1.30.24, so just 25 secs to take off.

Just back from my first hilly route for abou 5 months due to protecting calf injuries. 5 cheeky miles and loved it but it's hot out there. Now melting at my desk. Not the best of days to wear a pink shirt!

SB

25/04/2013 at 13:57

SB - my HM is only 1.34.05...so I need to do a bit of work!  I'm doing the Great Eastern Run in Peterborough in October to target sub-90. It's a very fast course so no excuses really!

26/04/2013 at 14:13

Looks like I'm in the Brighton marathon 2014 then. Training starts now!

SB

29/04/2013 at 15:57

And just out of habit, I've entered the VLM ballot again. If I get in, it's one week after Brighton...could be interesting!

Stoker: Didn't you have a race looming large?

SB

04/05/2013 at 18:52

I qualified for this group in Manchester last week coming in 3:44:15, an improvement from London 2012 (3:47:51).

i have the Leeds half next week, last years PB 1:44:05 so not as fast as you guys.  First run after Manchester yesterday 3.1 miles and 10.4 miles today, if I'm honest really struggled at 8:34 pace today and need sub 8 min miles next weekend.  I guess I'm still recovering and have a sports massage Tuesday so hopefully that combined with a few short light runs only will help. Last year it was 3 weeks after London, this week only 2 weeks so not sure if that'll make a difference?

Next sub 3:45 target will be in Chester in October.

22/05/2013 at 20:35

Beep.....................................Beeep...................................Beep.........................

.................................................................................................................

The patient needs defibrillating!!!!
Only run 4 tuimes since my Minikie Half. Have opted out of the Edinburgh Half this weekend as I've spent £175 on train tickets to Bristol for a friend's do mid June and couldnt really justify the daft money for Edinburgh hotels for an 8am start. Plus, I'd struggle to get under 1.45. Hope all are well. The wife has revealed she's seeing a 50yo with a tache from Carnoustie. Knocked the stuffing out of me, but I'm fine now, and we're pressing on with decorating the house to sell up this Summer. I need me some female company!!! 20 years with only the missus. Havent 'sprinkled magic fairy dust' for a year n a half now, n maybe the same again before that. I am the Dundee arm wrestling champ though...

Stoker

30/07/2013 at 11:40

Boo!

22/08/2013 at 20:43

Badger Badger Badger..
How are you doin fella?

Well the runnin has been sporadic of late, but I entered old faithful, the Glen Campbell Half on Monday. Entry was limited to 350 as per normal, but after entries opened at 7pm, it was full by 11pm! Lookin forward to my seventh mug. My 50yo mate, who only started running last Feb, and is a hard working fencing contractor, digging all his holes by hand, has now done a 44 something 10k, a 1.39 half, and a 3.56 marathon! My other mate, the first one, who is also 50, has now run 6 halfs, and has gotten a pb each time, now down to 1.43. I reckon I'll need to threaten my 1.37.58 pb if I'm gonna win in 11 weeks time. Still not sprinkled any 'fairy dust', but then havent really been looking. My failing eyesight might mean I should step up the search...
Went to the gym last night on day one of training, n did seven 8.30 min miles, then did an hour on the bike at about 106-110 rpm, which got me 30k or 18.6 miles.

Hope Woking are flying. Dundee are a shoe in for the Scottish First Division.

Be good Badge.
I'll get you up to Glau Coma next year !

Stoker.

03/09/2013 at 13:38

Glad to hear you're still at it Stokesy boy!

I've been injured most of the summer. Did something to my back which gave me a numb leg. It's been taking ages to repair and still isn't 100% but I've started running again. Managed a 10k race 6 weeks ago around Dorney Lake where they did the Olympic rowing. Being injured I didn't race it so was pleased to get 44 mins exactly in hot and windy conditions (2nd best race time).

I've been doing loads down the gym as well as doing spin classes every week. Working loads on core strength and it's really paying off. With the weight training I've even managed to put bigger knots in the cotton that is my arms.

On the treadmill I'm knocking out 5km runs in 20mins 30secs which almost draws a crowd when I'm in full flow.

Back training properly now (with my numb leg) in a bid to slowly build distance going into December and the start of the Brighton marathon campaign.

I took my lads to Camp Nou in Barcelona last month. Had our picture taken with the European Cup and I tried to convince them I was the English veteran version of Lionel Messi. They had none of it and said not to bring my boots again.

Woking are already in a relegation battle in the Conference Premier. It all makes it very exciting. If you can't win it, you may as well play for the thrill of a 5th from bottom season's decider come the end of term.

Stay tuned, we must do this again some time!

SB

16/09/2013 at 21:53

I never got an email reminder.
Turned 44 on the 8th. Just spent Friday through to today sanding n varnishing the wooden floors in the house we are trying to flog.
Goto the website tspc, click on Brechin, n ours is the one at offers over £179,000 with the blue door.
I'll let you have it for £189,950..
Last week I went to the gym twice. Tuesday I did 13.1 miles on the treadmill at 8's, then a half hour at a decent lick on the bike. Thursday I did 14 miles at 8's then 20 minutes on the bike.My mate did the Great North run in 1.38.20, so I know I need to step things up a notch. I need to start introducing the speedwork n the outdoor hills, now that I know I have the miles in my legs, but adding the extra biking or rowing seems to have accelerated my running improvements.
The boy went to watch Brechin City at the weekend. After 5 minutes, a Dunfermline defender booted the ball out for a throw. My son lifted his hand to protect himself n sprained his wrist, so I had to collect him at 3.15 ?!
Is the Camp Nou a poor mans Glebe Park, but without the hedge?

Cheers Badge.

Stoker.

17/09/2013 at 20:06

11 hilly treadmill miles tonight then 8 miles on the bike, sweating like a cnut. About 1800 calories burnt, so Im about to gorge down a huge tea.
Blindish date on Thursday, with a woman that Ive only seen a photo of. First date in about 21 years. Cant wait to flog the house now, n get a place of my own. The cooking won't be anywhere near as good as Momma's, but I'll feel like a grown-up again in my own space.

Stonker

18/09/2013 at 14:05

Sounds like a new chapter coming up fou you, Stoker me old son. good luck with the house move and with the date this week. you'll knock her bandy when she claps peers on those magnificent thighs. Nothing has changed on the dating front. You'll be OK in you best flares, big collarred open neck shirt and a lake full of Brut 33. Trust me.

My injury woes appear to be disappearing. I've been keeping to short runs and doing loads of core strength at the gym. Tried the new apparatus that looks like an S&M frame from a sex dungeon but my word does it do wonders for your core strength.

I have over 20 race medals at home but not one of them is for a 5k. I'll be putting that right this weekend when I take part in a triathlon relay as part of a charity thing we're doing at work. I tested myself on a tempo 4 miler on Sunday but wasn't comfy. Did it at 6.53 pace but felt proper fat due to over eating and drinking for most of the summer. My scales yelled "get off me you 14 stone fat ba$tard" this monring. I'm a good 10lbs heavier than when I stood on the start line at the Paris Marathon 5 months ago.

Still, I know it will soon come off. My core is stronger than it's ever been and my speedwork is making me quicker. The Brighton mara campaign starts in December and I'm training to start training. I need to know the exploits of the Stokesy boy to keep me giggling on the road, especially as there is the chance of "cross training" with the totty from Thursday night.

Good luck, Lad.

SB

PS: nearly stamped on a 2ft long Adder snake on an interval session last week. Frightened the facking life out of me!

18/09/2013 at 18:59

Youve heard all my Eartha Kitt stories!
Last Winter, crouching down in the dark behind a haybale popping out a pancake n wiping my arse with snowballs, as a blizzard with lightning rattled around me, not 200 yards from a mental hospital in freezing temperatures in short shorts is particularly memorable!!
Some nights if Im bored, I'll click back to the pages from 2007, 2008 when the thread was jumping.
For a fat ba$tard, you're certainly running quick enough. 6.53's is superb I think for 4 miles. Think I'm about 12 stone 12 now, even with the mountain of food I'm force fed. Last night was a plateful of bacon, egg n chips followed by apple crumble n custard, then a coffee n biscuits. About 1800 calories?
The totty it turns out is a reflexologist who runs 5 miles every day and also regularly does yoga n Zumba. We've been texting a lot this past week, so I know there's a mischievous wee spark there. She has already admitted the yoga makes her really flexible, and the reflexology is through her magic fingers.
God help her when I get my hands on her !!
When Im at  the gym, I nearly need a mop I sweat that much. I drink plenty from the fountain, have an isotonic drink on the way out, then down 2 pints of water when i get in, yet my piss still looks like concentrated Kia Ora? I
I remember some 1982 world cup match, hearing that Paul Mariner had lost x amount of pounds through the terrific heat. I wonder in volume how much you can sweat. It wasnt even that hot in the gym.

Keep up the training Badge.
I'll keep you duly informed of the love life.
Not fancy buying the house then?
Nearly 5 months n we're barely half way down this page.
3 TOTP's in a row will take 18 months!

Stokesy

19/09/2013 at 07:22

Hello

19/09/2013 at 19:28

It's bloody quiet in here

19/09/2013 at 20:58

Reading the recent posts, I see LS is probably doing rude stuff even as I'm typing this!  Or at least planning his moves.  Good luck fella, hope it all still works how it should!!

I have finally decided that its time to dust off my running kit, after 2 years of sloth-like activity.  I thought I'd pop in and see who was still hanging around.  Nice to see Freemers, Mr P, Badge and LS are still here.  Hello all.

Been for a couple of runs.  Ouch.  8.30 pace for 2 miles and I'm toast.  Its gonna be a long road back, but I thought I'd come back to the people who helped turn me into a marathon runner 5 years ago.  You did it once, you can do it again. Can't you?!  Pleeeeease!!!

Edited: 19/09/2013 at 21:01
19/09/2013 at 21:28

Evening everyone, I am ignoring Badger after Woking's victory over plucky Chester, but I confess I would like to know if Stoker gets his end away with Flexi tonight.

on the water front LS i have been  weighing myself pre and post run and on a ten mile run I lose up to 1.5 litres of water.

good luck Mara how are the,cherries coming along? I'm in the last month of training for chester marathon on Octoer 6th, looking at between the low three thirties and three forty five.

19/09/2013 at 22:39
Alrighty Puffster! My cherries are good thanks. I am tempted to make a crude joke about Stoker's plums now, but I won't!!
Happy to hear you're in training for Chester. I've set myself a 10km race goal for NYE in home town of Ely. It was the first race I ran when I got my entry for FLM09, and I did 52 mins. Now I'm starting all over again, in similar shape. A marathon feels like a pipe dream. Not sure if I can muster up the motivation to do all that training ever again, but hoping to be inspired by this thread like I was in 2009. ????
19/09/2013 at 23:31

A fcuking disaster!!

We arranged to meet in the pub next to the cinema. We've been texting each other back n forth all week. She said she'd be there at 7.40, so, gent that I am, I got there at 7.30 so she wasnt in a pub on her own. 8.05. No text or reply from her. Im starting to feel like a complete cnut, thinking she'd stood me up. I texted n called. No answer. Then I get a couple of angry texts. Turns out, she'd been stood outside the pub from 7.40 til 8.15 n thought Id stood her up. Her phone battery had gone flat n she said she would never go into a pub on her own?!?!? She thought Id said meet at the pub, not in it.By that time she was 20 miles away n I couldnt go to hers as Id had a few Guinness whilst waiting. Chatted on the phone n Im seeing her tomorrow.

Told you Im all out of practice!

Little Fcuk Up

ps Hullo again to Mara n The Puffmeister.

19/09/2013 at 23:50

LS, it'll be good to have a comedy first date tale to tell in years to come when people ask you and your new missus how you met!  You'll laugh when you look back this  probably!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.