A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Sub 3:45 Group

161 to 180 of 29,716 messages
27/02/2004 at 09:41
ok guys - i'm not trying to get out of the long gruelling runs, but, as a rookie to this i'm reading some conflicting things. The book i'm reading talks constantly about peaking at the right time for the marathon and not too early. So, on one hand i'm hearing what your all saying about 20 mile runs every week until FLM, and the other hand I'm hearing 'don't over do it or you'll burn yourself out' - i'm confused !!
27/02/2004 at 10:47
Well the theory is the 20 Mile+ long runs will help get you ready for running 26. Most people up the long runs using a 10% rule, namely don't increase your long run distance by more than 10 percent each week.

The plan normally is to have your longest run about 3 weeks before te marathon then taper back the distances in the last two weeks. I know 20 miles seems a long way but if you can manage them then doing a few such runs in advance of the marathon will help greatly on the day.

I only do the very long runs every two weeks as I'm having some injury problems. I'll have done less long runs than many by the big day but I'm still confident I'll make my target time.
27/02/2004 at 11:15
ok thanks, this is all new territiry for me as i'm asking my body to do things it has never been asked to do before. I'm currently running 10k in just under 47 mins and half in just under 1.48 - my longest tun has been 16.5 miles though i'm hoping for 18 on sunday. Is 3.45 a realistic goal ?

I know that it's first marathon, enjoy the day, dont worry about time and all that - but that's just not me - i've been running for a year for this so it's gonna get my all.
27/02/2004 at 11:22
Adam - my advice would be try to do a paced run. You need to keep up 8:30 pace for 26.2 miles to go sub 3:45. See how this feels for say 10 miles and judge if you could keep that up relative to how you feel at that stage in other races (halfs and 10ks).

PPB - Any chance you can run on a treadmill if outside just isn't an option? It snowed a bit as I left the house this morning but snow rarely settles in London. It is cold though.

Last night's session at the track...
800, 400 x 5 with 100m jog recoveries. Times a little less than I've done in the past I think but still coughed a lot afterwards so must have done some good!

Worried I'm putting on weight. Doesn't seem to make sense. Anyone else had this or is it weight loss for you all?
27/02/2004 at 11:48
morning all

hi adam, I know how you feel about conflicting advice but PPB is spot on about getting the long runs in. As long as you taper for 2-3 weeks you'll be fine on the day but if you don't get at least a couple of 20+ miler's under your belt beforehand you definatly won't be all right.

You're current times are very close to mine,my last 10k was a very hilly 49min and last 1/2 m 1.49 but set off much too fast with a friend who,s a lot better than me so struggled from halfway and I'm aiming for the 3.45 FLM. I'm just gonna concentrate on speedwork and my long saturday run. Should be 20-22miles depending on the snow tomorrow.

cheers

PB

27/02/2004 at 11:52
that's encouraging - cheers peter
27/02/2004 at 11:58
hi donna

just saw you're comment, yep I'm putting on a few pounds. I think it's cos I keep stuffing my face on an evening, it's all this damm running that makes me hungry. Still at least it's fit fat and I'm gonna try and lose a bit over the next 7 weeks by not snacking in the evening (at least I'll try). I wonder how much 3-4 pounds or 1/2 a stone can make to your potential time ? any ideas ?
27/02/2004 at 12:03
Donna, Didnt even kno of my FAME until I read Your post on here. I'll be available for book signings and the like on Apr 18. Its all thanks to a little group of forumites from KENT who got together a while ago, they go to lots of races together. There a good bunch and pretty well organised thanks to ASHLEY. I just happened to of Gate Crashed a few of there Runs. Lucky me.

Anyhow, Ive been of line for a few days ( PC Probz) and am trying to catch up. Well done on the 24 miler Donna, you'll ave no probz on d day. I'm ALSO running for CHILDLINE, so maybe we should fly d flag 2gether on the day. I might just use u as a pacer the rate you're going.

Woony
27/02/2004 at 12:05
I will join in with you lot if you don't mind.

First marathon for me, have sort of kept to my training schedule without over doing it. Did the Stamford 30k two weeks ago in 2hrs 28mins, and plan to run the 20m paced run in Birmingham mid March and one other 20m run before the big day - so should(?) be OK for around 3:45.

Bit concerned that I haven't done any spped work - seem to run about the same pace whether I am running 7 or 18 miles - should I be putting in some speed sessions in?
27/02/2004 at 12:19
ADAM, What PPB and PETER r telling you is TOP ADVICE. U really should be lookin at doin a few 18-20 miler at least 3 weeks prior to d BIG DAY. But the biggest TIP is as u ave read already: DONT BURN OUT. PPB has already mentioned not increasing yr milage by any more than 10% a week. Take good notice of that rule more than worrying about how far you get in b4 you TAPER. Its beta to have only run up to 17 miles and be in good shape on the DAY, than run 20 miles too soon and not be up for it on the 18. Also take on board that everybody is different, I have done 3 FLMs now: 2001=3:57, 2002=3:39, 2003=3:56(with injured foot), and I have never run more than 14 miles prior to the DAY. This isnt what Id recommend but I still did it. What Im saying is Stay Focused, and get what long runs u can in but don't knock yrslf out. If you can do the 20's Great, if you cant, do what you can.

Woony
27/02/2004 at 12:47
Donna, I've also put on a it of weight. I've been told that it's only to be expected cos your eating a lot more than you normally would and musscle weighs more than fat. So it shouldn't be anything to get worried about.

I'm off for a 23 miler in 1 hr. It looks cold outside but sunny and I'm actually feeling quite good so looking forward to it. (I get madder by the day!)

Hope you all have a good weeks traing and I'll see what you're all up to when I get back.
27/02/2004 at 12:57
I'm hungry pretty much all the time and eating lots. Thankfully the sheer amount of exercise I'm doing (running, biking, swimming and table tennis!) is keeping my weight under control. As long as I'm around 11 stone 10 at the start line I'll be happy. I know lots of women on other threads have complained that they have gained weight or aren't losing any but this is just due to your body definition changing and carrying a lot more muscle.

I'm really interested in what you said Woony about your training previously. How did you feel at the marathon when you were up to 3 hours as this would have been way further than any training run. Did you hit the wall or were you able to just slog on through it?

I'd like to get out for a long run tomorrow but as things stand the traithlon I'm in on Sunday is still due to go ahead (despite 6 inches of snow on the ground). So I'm planning on just resting today and tomorrow and compete in the triathlon or get out for a long one on Sunday if the race is cancelled.
27/02/2004 at 13:28
do you guys tend to run these longs on the roads ? - I know roads are supposed to be better for you than pavements but they all pretty much look like they're made of the same stuff to me - again, this book i'm reading calls roads "poison for the legs" - problem is it's not so easy to work out 20 miles off road - especially in East London
27/02/2004 at 13:35
I do my long runs mostly on pavements. In some places there is a grass verge next to the pavement so I'll run on the grass wherever possible to help reduce the impact.
27/02/2004 at 14:05
Tarmac pavements are fine by me. It's the paving stones and concrete you've got to look out for. Oh, and excessive cambers, especially if you always run with them sloping down on the same side (which you probably would).

Mostly no-pavement country roads for my long ones, and I seem to survive OK. Best would probably be a firm, level dirt path, I suppose.
27/02/2004 at 14:51
Peter, you're not alone on the snacking front- I think I'm using running as an excuse to eat chocolate and drink beer - I keep thinking that I must have burnt off loads of calories so it'll be ok! My weight is staying pretty static though.

Donna, if you're putting on weight this could either be a temporary thing (fluid etc.) or could be because you're building muscle in your legs. If this is your first marathon you must be fitter now than ever - and I bet you don't look fat!!

Swerve, did I understand you correctly when you said you didn't have a place for the FLM? If so, I have heard that the race officials look out for people without numbers on and pull them off the course after 26 miles - i.e. not letting you finish.

Anyway guys, I am a bit p*ssed off with my stupid blister. I decided not to go to my virgin track session today - the winter wonderland outside was too tempting. So instead I did some Yassos around a rugby field (not sure of the exact distance so no point telling you my times). I had my new ultra-padded Thorlos on and my blister was aggravated again, even though it had nearly healed since Sunday. I don't want to stop running just for a stupid blister to heal, but if I press on will I make it worse until my whole foot explodes pm the 18th?!!
27/02/2004 at 14:55
Puggers - don't worry - I'm not (quite) that daft! I'm running the Bungay marathon on the 4th April - just tagging along with this thread, not with the FLM itself!
27/02/2004 at 15:30
Puggers - How frustrating that blister must be getting. My 2080s gave me a huge blister on the arch of my foot but it seemed to harden quite quickly. I stuffed the hard area of the shoe (the bit that was rubbing) with some tissue to cushion it and that seemed to help.

I'm sure I've come across threads in the past talking about special sprays or plasters or things to help combat blister agony. Maybe start a separate thread about it? Did you try alternating shoes? (With another pair not the right for the left!)

No I think I'm fatter than a lot of the female runners at the track but if I suggested I was fat at work I'd get shouted down pretty quickly (especially by the girls in the office - they've tried every diet going between them.) Allegedly extra weight does slow you down - read it on another thread here so not sure how true it is. Considered opinion is that you speed up between 1.5- 2 seconds per mile for each lb you lose in weight.

My running is mostly on pavements (except when I'm on the track or treadmill). Adam, where in East London do you live? My long Sunday run takes me along the Regents canal, by the Thames, through Hyde Park, back on to the canal and a lap of Victoria Park. Are you near the canals? If you're finding the pavements tough on your body, they often have a strip of grass you can run on (if you don't mind it muddy!)
27/02/2004 at 15:32
Woony - How's your fundraising going?

Thought maybe fame had gone to your head and you'd decided not to associate with us non-celebs. Glad to hear it was just because you were offline.
27/02/2004 at 15:41
Donna - i'm on the essex/east london borders - wanstesd/south woodford (E18)- there is Epping forest but unless you know it pretty well you need to take a sleeping bag !!
161 to 180 of 29,716 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.