Checked my Sporttracks data and it shows the weather as:

Avg, min and max

Temperature    19.6°C    17.1°C    20.9°C

Humidity    51.0%    44.1%    60.3% 

Wind Speed    1.5mph    0.3mph    2.9mph  

Tailwind(-) / Headwind(+)    -0.4mph    -2.9mph    2.3mph 

Solar radiation    504.4W/m²    177.4W/m²    721.9W/m²  
19/04/2011 at 13:42

DD - not the same running in coats etc to acutally running in the heat.  I run often in my conservatory but still feels different to the first time you run outside in it.   Anyhow I'm not moaning over the heat, I always think what will be will be and adjust my pace to the conditions .  I was just commenting on how much warmer it did feel to what the temperature apparently was.

Dubai Dave    pirate
19/04/2011 at 13:42

Cougie everyone prefers a cool race, don't get me wrong folks heat slows you down but there are coping strategies. I just ran at lunchtime in 34C, I was 30 seconds a K slower then I would be in January, Why do I chose to run in 34C? well summer is coming and from June to September it will be at least that temperature even at 0400, so get used to it as soon as you can.

I accept that chances to run in the Sun in the UK this year was limited until you were all into taper but even then you can get out there for your 30 mins run or whatever, every little helps. I also think Siren  / Hilly are probably right to a certain extent with regards to the micro climate created by that many people running along in a confined area. Daren your right first timers probably would be a bit daunted by making themselves deliberately hot

BBHind wearing layers doesn't replicate sun beating down on you but it does raise your core temperature. Better to prepare on the chance it will be hot than not.

I have the opposite problem anything below about 15C and I slow right down, I was running in the Uk over christmas and could not hit my normal training paces. I haven't yet found a way to aclimatise for the cold in Dubai though I suppose I could go and run up and down the ski dome.

19/04/2011 at 14:37
I think the number of bodies just makes it feel grimmer - have run a marathon in 30 degree heat and noticed it less than on Sunday because I had clear air around me.
19/04/2011 at 15:06
It's not the heat of the day but the heat and humidity generated by the runners. I bet spectators noticed the difference walking away from the race after their runners went by?

I wonder how hot it actualy was on the course. I've run in much hotter weather before without noticing it. Might be that I haven't trained in heat very much as I'm in Scotland. Anyway race over and no complaints
19/04/2011 at 15:14
seren nos wrote (see)

I was watching London and whilst it was warm.it was not nearly as warm as LLanelli the week before............

I think the main difference was the vast number of people..........at Llanelli we quite often had a bit of a breeze and it was really welcome............but at London it seemed pretty much packed it for most of it

What a difference a couple of years make! - When I ran the Llanelli HM in 2009 there were hailstones, strong wind, sideways rain, the works! Just hearing the word "Llanelli" makes me shiver at the memory  

I think the VLM problem is training in the cold but running the race in the heat - good points raised on training in the heat, I will keep these in mind for marathon training next year!

19/04/2011 at 15:18

The heat and the lack of fresh air seemed to effect lots of people. I don't remember seeing quite so many runners carted off / collapsing when I ran 2 years ago. I rubbed up a massive blister which exploded at mile 16 - I am sure that was down to the heat ....... never had a blister in my life from running .......

Started off aiming for 3.30 and finished 4.02 - no qualifying this year so will try the ballot. I have heard that Brighton  is supposed to be good for atmosphere too ....... might have to give that one a try!

Congratulations to everyone who finished - that alone in no mean feat!

19/04/2011 at 15:18

Adam

MM here again.

I`m with you on this...Been running for 20 years no further than half marathon dist so first time at marathon. i ran 4 x aweek since xmas, did  a 17, 19, 21 mile long runs no probs. did a 20 mile race 3 hr 20 and felt i had some left  and ran a half in 2 hrs 3 so i`m not totally out of condition! Never had cramp ever before.rested on saturday ate normal stuff, drank before on sunday. So why on earth would i get cramp at mile 6. to be honest the thought of not finishing never crossed my mind before the start. Ran at normal speed for first 5 miles, had my own drink so was having some of that from start.... cant believe the heat could have affected me by then. so maybe it is nerves altho i felt really chilled... sat down before the start didnt stand around

i dont know...... got to get to the bottom of this. I know i followed my training programme really well so i just dont understand it. If you get any answers let me know!

cougie    pirate
19/04/2011 at 15:59
I think its tougher cos London is usually warm, its always warmer in the city with the buildings blocking the wind, and youve been tapering the last few weeks and missed most of the sun. So its basically straight from winter weather to the spring. I know its caught me out in the past.
19/04/2011 at 16:12

And next year it's even later - 22nd April - oh joy!

The first and only time I've ever got blisters was FLM 2007 which was also very hot, if not hotter, but definitely less humid than on Sunday.

I remember my feet feeling hotter and sweatier than normal even standing in the loo queue before the start perhaps a bit of it was nerves but it was mostly the heat!

19/04/2011 at 23:48
Dubai Dave wrote (see)

Cougie everyone prefers a cool race

Nope, not me. I did London 2009 and loved the warm weather, which was warmer then 2011, then I did Berlin 2009 not a single cloud in the sky temperature brilliant for (just a shame the ITB gave up). As for LM 2010 I HATED IT it was too bloody cold for me.

I always run/race in long sleeves and trousers as well....jupp my mum says there's something wrong with me.

20/04/2011 at 00:03

I'm with you matty's mum - my training regime and times were similar to yours and I set myself what I thought was a conservative target time of 4 hours 20 minutes. I was cruising nicely for the first 10 miles and then crashed and burned and had to walk and jog to a disappointing 5 hours 13 minutes.

My problems are my legs and knees and I have resolved to work on strengthening them in the coming months. Body Balance classes beckon!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 32 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.