Alternative marathons

Discussion of alternatives for those planning for FLM rejection

1 to 20 of 198 messages
22/11/2004 at 12:46
Hi

I have entered FLM and been following the various "am I in" threads with interest. Well done Josie Jump in particular for all the amateur sleuthing. It's amazing how many people seem to be sweating buckets over whether they get in or not..

What alternative marathons are people pencilling in if rejected? Or are you all going to sulk and do half marathons instead?

Does anyone have any experience or know anything about:

Rotterdam (Apr)
Copenhagen (May) ?

Also why is it that the UK has virtually no decent second marathon (I'm just talking PB potential forget the crowds)

Cheers

Tim
22/11/2004 at 12:54
Lochaber

(anyone who's anyone's doing it)

Fast, flat, friendly.
22/11/2004 at 13:46
"no decent second marathon (I'm just talking PB potential"??

2nd?? some would say other ones rate more highly than FLM - depends on your outlook

so - Abingdon or Cardiff - dead flat both of them and very good

22/11/2004 at 16:06

I guess. However both Abingdon and Cardiff are in october was looking for a spring one around the same time as FLM, ready to use all the excellent base mileage have been / will continue to put in!

What about Lake Vrnvwy or whatever its called - the worlds most unpronouceable race other than the Llanfairpg 10km!!
22/11/2004 at 17:00
I am doing Lochaber if rejected for London. Its very flat and a week after London.

Did it last year and enjoyed it, just hoping to be a little bit faster this year.
22/11/2004 at 17:16
I've read on their website that the Halstead marathon in Essex is a good one. Its about 5 weeks after FLM. I think I'll be going for that one.
22/11/2004 at 19:41
A group of us did Copenhagen this year, and we nearly all got PB's despite the high temperatures. (16-20 degress and very sunny)
Plusses were
Easyjet from Stansted
Well organised, excellent food at the finish
Good pacers (they swap for fresh legs at half way)
Copenhagen is a lovely city to visit
Minusses
Hotels, eating very expensive
Route was fairly flat but littered with kerbs, parked cars, narrow paths - worst of all cyclists giving drinks to their friends
Drinks in plastic cups - and the sports drinks tasted horrible if you picked one up by mistake.

I think there is still a Copenhagen Tread running, so you might like to ask there for more info - RichK had a good website of his own with useful info.

We all enjoyed it, but I'm not sure we will be going back.
22/11/2004 at 20:51
Hi what about Paris?? you get in straight away no waiting to find out..same month as flm..a quick hop over the water..a good weekend and you can bring back some booze.
22/11/2004 at 20:51
If you need more time to prepare Edinburgh was good last year. Interesting course.Well organised. Classy medal. Not at all flat though so no PB potential.
debbo    pirate
22/11/2004 at 21:59
Arthur's seat is being taken out of Edinburgh marathon for 2005 though Waffle, so it will be a faster course.
22/11/2004 at 22:16
Edinburgh is 39 quid entry fee for 2005, daylight robbery.
22/11/2004 at 22:59
Has anyone done Zurich before?
23/11/2004 at 09:58
Lake Vyrnwy would be good (the half is brilliant) except it's been cancelled. See threads on Events and General.

The two I have in mind as alternatives to FLM are Lochaber and Paris. Both in same month as FLM.
23/11/2004 at 10:30
Rome is a great marathon, usually 3 weeks before FLM. Fairly flat but tough as there is around 8k of cobbles and very twisty at about 15 miles as you go through the old city. Plusses, you can see all the sights in Rome and you start and finish at the Colleseum!

23/11/2004 at 11:15
Turin marathon is always on the same day as FLM every year (17/04/05)

I had looked at doing this as I went through the whole "am I in am I not in" bollox" last year but I decided that as it would be my first (and probably last)that it would be better to do something nearer to home.

In the end I did Shakespeare which is always 7 days after FLM. Next year it is on 25/04/05.

It has a 13.00 start. Entries are open.
23/11/2004 at 11:48
Im looking for a first marathon (done a half and a few 10ks so looking to increase distance) and was thinking about the Shakespeare (didnt get in the FLM). Can anyone comment on the route/organisation etc etc. Would it make a good first marathon?
23/11/2004 at 12:08
I have boinged a thread in Events
23/11/2004 at 13:15
Thanks! Not an inspiring thread, Im beginning to wonder if I should pick another one to do first time!
23/11/2004 at 13:33
If you can wait until October there's Dublin. I did it this year - my first - and really enjoyed it. There's a thread on Events (tho' it's probably a while since anyone posted on it so it might take some finding).
23/11/2004 at 14:53
Rachel

If you do a search at the top of the forum page then there are loads of threads on Shakespeare marathon for 2003 and 2004
1 to 20 of 198 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.