Any Children with Leukaemia runners?

4,201 to 4,220 of 4,484 messages
03/04/2006 at 21:33
Hello all.

(Sheepishly states)I have decided to withdraw from this years FLM. I't wasn't an easy decision to make but ultimately it was a case of "run now, pay later!". I'm so pi**ed off it's unbelievble but that's how it is some times.

Certain members of my running club have said i'm being "elitist" because i'm choosing not to run. I just don't see the point of spending "x" amount of time training for an event that you can't completely apply yourself to. C'est la vie!!

More importantly- I hope that everybody else is well and are starting to enjoy tapering off. You've all put in the hard work, and now it is a case of maintenance & injury avoidance until the big day.

Good luck to all of you.

I will keep looking in on the forum, i just feel like a fraud now.
03/04/2006 at 22:12
Rick
Decision made so dont beat yourself up about it - just come and cheer us slow coaches on!
Was at CWL training day on sunday- nice bunch of people of all abilities which was good as I was a trifle nervous of showing myself up in front of racing snakes. I managed the 20 miles in about 3 hours which was a vast improvement on 3.38 for 19 miles last week. I did walk on the last lap and I am still hobbling like an old man as my knee is agony but hopefully I can see around 26.2!
Rio It would be good to have some sort of meet up before hand at the start to have someone to chat to and reduce nerves or a coke the day before -anyone else up for it?
Good luck everyone keep those sore legs working ( I am keeping to the bicycle this week!)
ImRio    pirate
04/04/2006 at 07:58
Rick only you know what is best for you and I think in your shoes I would be doing the same thing. If you feel you cant do yourself justice then there is no point. It is only one race (which you cant win anyway) so why risk the rest of your running career for that. At least you can come and support us now!

Tobes you will manage the 26 ok but if you are still sore after the 20 take it really easy from now on.
I am happy to meet where ever for a chat. No nerves for me though. (never suffer with them - which is probably why I dont do as well as I could when I run - no adreneline rush!)
04/04/2006 at 10:42
Bad luck Rick - I think you've got to go along with your gut feelings. If it's a wasted effort in terms of reaching your goals, you're better to defer until you can have a better tilt at your PB.

Good luck mate!
04/04/2006 at 10:52
Morning Octopus. Did you get my text sent very late last night!! How's your training going? Should I do another long run this weekend - how far ru going? I have got to the stage that I really need a running partner on the day who is prepared to run/walk with me so that I can maintain my pace.......... any CWL run/walkers out there willing to be my partner.. think I will post a thread on this!!

04/04/2006 at 16:53
Thanks to everyone for the words of support.I can assure you it wasn't an easy decision to make.

My physio seems to think that i should be ok to resume full training in about another 5-6 weeks. I'll still have to perform some maintenance exercises for as long as i'm running, so it's not going to go away. Hopefully i'll come back better for it.

I'll still be there on the day cheering you on (enviously too, i hasten to add).
04/04/2006 at 20:43
Jill,

Have it ready to go. Wot's your email again? (Txt or email it to me!)

Which start are you going from Jill? You're a blue aren't you?
ImRio    pirate
04/04/2006 at 21:31
Jill if you were on red I would have said I will do it with you but it is unlikely that we would catch up anywhere as you will cross the start before me!

If you let me know what you are wearing though and your number i will try to keep my eyes peeled!
Why not join up with the run/walk pacers?
04/04/2006 at 21:59
How do you know what start you are on ?
ImRio    pirate
04/04/2006 at 22:01
Goes by your number Sammy but if you didnt get through the ballot then you will be on RED
04/04/2006 at 22:05
I have got a club place, does this make a difference ??
ImRio    pirate
04/04/2006 at 22:14
Ooh might do. do you know your number then? could well be a green start for you then!!
04/04/2006 at 22:30
ImRio    pirate
05/04/2006 at 09:57
Blue for you Sammy

Numbers 1,001 to 28,000 also have a blue number on a white background and will start at the Blue Start. Use Blackheath Station if travelling by train.

Numbers from 28,001 to 33,250 you will have a green number on a white background and will start from the Green Start on Blackheath. Use Maze Hill Station.

Numbers 33,251 to 59,000 will have a red number on a white background and will start from the Red Start which assembles inside Greenwich Park. Use Greenwich or Maze Hill stations.

05/04/2006 at 23:15
Just back from taking my daughter to Leeds Trinity for an interview to do a degree in Primary Education with PE - sounds grand doesn't it!! Never been to Leeds before, quite an eye opener, and never experienced such congestion (as in driving congestion!!). She wasn't overly impressed by the campus, but she did like the tutors - fingers crossed.

Anyway, back to FLM. My number is 19391 and I shall be wearing a CWL vest. I may dye my hair a colour but not too sure yet!

Thanks Octopus for your very learned response - just what I needed.
06/04/2006 at 09:40
Was that Trinity and all Saints', Jill? I went there for a short while...
ImRio    pirate
06/04/2006 at 09:44
Jill/Sammy you could run together!!!

06/04/2006 at 10:59
I live about 15miles from Leeds and worked there for a few years, my hubby still works there. Great City, I suppose you could call it the London of the North, cos its got Harvey Nichols.

Can't believe there is so little time to go before marathon. I have so many mixed feelings about it this time because I do not feel I have trained properly, I have had a really bad 20m race and my running friend and travelling companion has backed out. On the plus side I have drawn strength from all the problems everyone on this thread has overcome. And it is only 6months since I had my marathon victory at Cardiff so It cannot be so bad.
06/04/2006 at 11:49
Octopus - Yes it was Trinity and All Saints. What were you doing there? She has also been to Edge Hill, Lancaster which she liked very much as it is a very modern campus!!

Rio - Oh how I wish I could run with Sammy but he sounds too good for me!! Look how much he has come on since last year and little ol' me has remained .... stagnant!
ImRio    pirate
06/04/2006 at 11:51
Jill I think you are going to do better than you think. You are still aiming for 4.45?
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.