Any Children with Leukaemia runners?

4,461 to 4,480 of 4,484 messages
21/01/2007 at 12:28
Hi Jo, well that's a good reason to run. My daughter died four and a half years ago from leukaemia aged 5 so we've supported CWL since then. Horrible disease. I'm planning to go to the golden bond day on the sunday, which I think is the 3rd Feb, although my husband told me he's entered a local half marathon that day too so we're going to have to do a bit of child-juggling! CWL are doing their own day but don't know the date. Apparently it involves a 20 mile run round Hyde Park so I'm hoping it's not too soon! Have you run for them before?
21/01/2007 at 17:27
I'm so sorry about your daughter. No last time I ran for Help The Hospices as my mother died of cancer..............20 miles does sound a long way at this stage and I seem to have lost all my info about it, was it sent via email or post?? Also have you got your vest yet??
21/01/2007 at 22:13
Jo - thanks for that. I'm sorry to hear about your mother too. I guess we all have our reasons for this insane running that we do. The details haven't been confirmed for the CWL day as apparently FLM does not like charities to promote their own training days until after theirs has taken place, which I suppose is fair enough, so no dates as of yet. I haven't got my vest but my husband ran for them two years ago and for that we printed a picture of our daughter on the white bit where the number should go - there is room for both, just - so I'll probably use that + it's properly worn in!
21/01/2007 at 23:46
Jigger - I've also done Loch Ness - twice now 2004 & 2005. 'Quite hilly' is a good way to describe it - especially that long hill at about 17 miles! It must go down as my favourite, as the scenery is so good.
I'm training at the moment on 4 runs a week. I do a long run on a weekend - 14 miles now, but working my way up to 20/22 over the next few weeks. I do 2 lunchtime runs of 8.5 miles in Hyde Park; and I'll be upping this to 3 times a week soon - but maybe the extra one would be a bit shorter; plus 1 evening on the treadmill at the gym doing a Yasso 800 session - I'm doing 7:30 pace for the 1/2 mile, which is targetting a 3:45 marathon. Plus a bit of stretching and weight training, especially on my lower back. If I can keep this up without injury, I'm really trying for 3:45-ish. My PB so far is 3:51, so I hope it is achievable. I've been doing the long runs 30 seconds slower than target pace, and the shorter runs maybe 30-45 seconds faster. Does it work?? Ask me in April!!

TTKU - Is Siverstone good? - it's good if this is your first marathon as you'll get the feel of a 'big' race, but FLM is so much bigger. It's very wide open - two of the laps are on the race track. It's reasonably flat, which is good. The downside is there is not a lot of support - except in the stand by the finish. But if you like Formula 1, as you power down the finishing straight humming the guitar riffs from Fleetwood Mac's 'The Chain', you suddenly realise that Mr Schumacher would have finished his three laps about 2 hours earlier. It brings you back to reality....

Good luck to everyone with their fund-raising. Hope it all goes well.
ImRio    pirate
22/01/2007 at 07:45
Morning everyone. Glad you are all training well.
I am sorry to hear about the children you have lost. It makes me so grateful that they only thought my son had Leukaemia and that it turned out not to be. But knowing that CwL support families and are trying to erradicate this awful disease is why I run for them. You are all so brave and are my inspiration.

I am doing a couple of halves with a 20 mile race in between.

I dont think they have issued the vests yet. But wont be long. I wont be running in a CwL vest this year as I have to wear my club one. But am hoping to take my lucky mascot (a Mr Tickle cuddly toy) that has been with me on my previous 3.

Starting my fundraising this week. I am doing a "guess my finish time" as well as a buffet lunch and raffle in work. Hopefully that will get me a couple of hundred. We shall see

Happy training everyone
19/02/2007 at 01:22
Boy - is it quiet here!?! I guess you all must be out training hard and fund-raising like mad.
I've been slacking a bit on both counts recently so need to get my a**e into gear again and get on with things. After seeming so far away for so long, there is now less than 9 weeks to go - or seven weeks and a 2-week taper. Yikes!
ImRio    pirate
19/02/2007 at 07:58
Yep it will start coming round quickly now.
Hope everyones training is going well and there are no injuries or lurgy to report
19/02/2007 at 09:39
Welcome back Rio

I hope you had a good time away from the office. My training is going reasonably well. Have problem with foot but under control. Did 15 yesturday well most of it anyway. Still on course to run with you in FLM (until you leave me) Take care Regards to the family
ImRio    pirate
19/02/2007 at 12:15
Was all work and no play so not much fun really. I did 11 yesterday. Have been struggling with a cough for a couple of weeks but determined not to let it get the better of me.
Looking forward to catching up soon, wont be long now
19/02/2007 at 14:11
Rio

Do you know which day you are coming to the expo. Would like to take you to lunch if ok. My treat.
ImRio    pirate
19/02/2007 at 15:08
Will be there on the Thursday as usual. Lunch would be nice
19/02/2007 at 16:02
Rio.
Ok will contact you nearer the time for arrangements to meet. Lunch on me Take care of yourself and the family.
19/02/2007 at 16:43
glad to know someone else has this cough....had mine for 12 days now and still coughing badly at night. Every day its the should i or should i not run......ran a gentle 6 yesterday which was fine when running but last night cough cough cough.......ant advice???
ImRio    pirate
20/02/2007 at 07:46
Jigger do what you feel you can but be prepared to cut short any runs when the cough is too bad.
Mine is just about better now and I only cough after I have finished a run.
It lasted about 3 weeks so far but I have tried not to let it get to me too much.

I take it you have overdosed on cough stuff? Keep on taking it and keep the warm fluids up too.

It does get better - eventually.

There is still time to put in some decent training but dont do too much too soon or you will be right back to square one or worse.
Take care
21/02/2007 at 12:38
Hi all - hope the coughs get better. I had it before Xmas and it just hung on and on - but it does eventually go, so don't despair!!
29/04/2007 at 19:41
I can't believe this once proud tread, posting dozens of times a day, has died, with nobody posting on it since February!

It may be irrelevant after the event, but are any of the old posters still logging on?

Hello to you all if you are!
29/04/2007 at 20:03
I'm not really a very old poster, but here I am. What a lot of us there were on Sunday... hard for our supporters to pick out. I just added up my total with gift aid and I think I'm going to hit over £5000! Very happy as I was only aiming for 3.
ImRio    pirate
02/05/2007 at 11:50
Hi Octopus! Yes I am still here! Tried to revive it this year but there didnt seem to be many posting

Great to see you again and sorry I couldnt keep up over those last couple of miles.
Staggered to the finish in 5:33 which I was not in the least bit happy with but was just lucky to get there in the end.
How did you get on?
02/05/2007 at 16:25
Hi Rio. 5:23:13. Personal worst as predicted. Still, there's always next year...
ImRio    pirate
03/05/2007 at 13:37
I am looking at that too Octopus.
Tri training now for the rest of this year. That should help!?
4,461 to 4,480 of 4,484 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.