ASICS 26.2 Consolation Thinking

Aimed at "the 19/40"

81 to 100 of 125 messages
17/12/2011 at 12:12

Hey JB - my first choice is Kielder in October (not a fast one I know but if there's no time pressure on me I reckon there's less chance of me overtraining for it) but we're likely to be away so my second choice is looking like Robin Hood in September.  Fancy either of those?

I'll probably train for sub 3:45 but am intrigued by this whole idea of jiggering with your programme as you go along so if I'm realistically running at a slower pace that's what I'll be doing.  I think for me - the main thing is just to get over the mental hurdle of doing another one with a bitmore of a long term view towhat happens after it!

I never count my two LAMM's as marathons if that makes you feel any better - it's just not the same as running a road marathon!

Good effort for supporting your mum - your feet must have been killing you!  Right I'm off to test out my latest heel strappings!

17/12/2011 at 12:15
Jelly Bean, commiserations. I did wonder what had happened and how it had come out, but it seems very harsh that you were upfront about having walked 26.2 miles and they decided after selecting you that this should be a disqualification.
17/12/2011 at 13:18
JB - the forum 6 last managed to accommodate someone training for an Ironman and an Ultra as well as a marathon last year so don't be put off by that.  Its very flexible and as I said, individual so don't dismiss it completely.  Or you can just jump on one of the theads and train along with them.  Good luck with whatever you do.  Frankly I think the RW decision stinks.
17/12/2011 at 15:18

Jelly Bean - well done for coming on the forum and explaining things - decision seems a little harsh and late and you must be gutted but good on you for taking it so well and looking forward.

Little Ninja - how do you find out about the "forum competition" you mentioned please?

Sleepy Bear - see you tomorrow and no excuses about heal blisters !! I did the Robin Hood Marathon a few years ago; its combined with a half and the full entrants pass the finish point at half way; the first half is a good route through the town and uni campus but the second half can be a bit boring especially around the long and windy rowing lake but overall its a good event.  My most enjoyable was Snowdon (October) for the same reasons you mention for Keilder cos you forget times and just enjoy a LSR in great scenery and big, big hills !  For my autumn run I'll be choosing from Abingdon, Chester, Keilder, Loch Ness - depends if I go for time or not.

17/12/2011 at 15:23

Jelly Bean tough luck.  The Forum Six would be perfect for you though.  There are no rules as such and you make your own schedule (at least I did), what you get in return is encouragement, advice and support along the way, without the pressure. 

17/12/2011 at 18:40
Oscarr - oh I'll be there! Always worth it for the cake - even if I have to crawl round but ran ok today with tape  on.  See you there!
17/12/2011 at 21:18

JB - sorry to hear about your place. Sounds like you have got a pretty major challenge ahead of you now - puts a marathon into perspective!!

Oscarr - Thanks! I think that Knightrider was a great choice but much appreciate your comments.

Did my first Park Run this morning, which was great but a little treacherous weatherwise - hopefully this will mean the next time I do it I can knock a few mins off my 'Park Run' PB!

Off to the Peak District for a couple of days tomorrow - some nice long walks with Reginald and a lovely warm hotel to return to - bliss!!

I'm signed up for Reading with my club but would be very interested in meeting up with other Bootcampers.

Have a good weekend all!

17/12/2011 at 22:01
LadeyJadey wrote (see)

JB - sorry to hear about your place. Sounds like you have got a pretty major challenge ahead of you now - puts a marathon into perspective!!

Oscarr - Thanks! I think that Knightrider was a great choice but much appreciate your comments.

Did my first Park Run this morning, which was great but a little treacherous weatherwise - hopefully this will mean the next time I do it I can knock a few mins off my 'Park Run' PB!

Off to the Peak District for a couple of days tomorrow - some nice long walks with Reginald and a lovely warm hotel to return to - bliss!!

I'm signed up for Reading with my club but would be very interested in meeting up with other Bootcampers.

Have a good weekend all!

Hope Reg enjoys the Peak District! Do you have any advice on dog-friendly hotel recommendation sites or books? I've looked at a few but not found anything that does what I want yet!
17/12/2011 at 22:18
Hey Rosie, hope you jad a fab time today!! Been a bit hit and miss with the dog friendly places we've stayed. Stayed in one place near york that I wasn't entirely happy about Reggie staying there, let alone us

However, we stumbled on this place in the peak district in Feb and are going back there for our anniversary as it was SO nice. Can def recommend it - The Maynard in Grindleford.

Also hired a gorgeous pet friendly cottage in Dumfries in May. Tend to search for dog friendly in the search criteria on normal sites but would love to find a website that offers reliable places!

Will ask at the hotel tomorrow in case they advertise anywhere in particular. They have loads of walks right on their doorstep and so promote themselves as dog friendly. If I find anymore info I'll let u know.

X

17/12/2011 at 22:29

I get frightened running when there are dogs around locally as they so often seem to bother me (I'm a total scardy and l completely freeze - as I told Rosie today). Being charged at by a growling Rotweiller a couple of years ago didn't help this.

However, never ever worry about dogs off the lead when I am in the Lakes....?!

1 - Dogs impeciably behaved and well trained. 2 - Owners (like you two) in control of their dogs. 3 - Dogs properly excercised and more intested in sheep smells than my stink!

Not so sure I could manage to get to the lakes for my LSR each week!

Are you home yet Rosie?

Well done JB - What on earth have you signed up for?

18/12/2011 at 13:11

Sleepy Bear - well done this morning and good to meet you - for those interested, SB beat me by one place and about 3 seconds at this morning's TVXC race in Bearwood, Reading - what made it worse was the fact that she was dressed in a festive fairy outfit !!!  Uncanny being so close in a field of about 300 runners.

Look forward to the next race on 8th January in Tadley.

Hope you enjoyed the cakes.

18/12/2011 at 15:13
http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/614617/gallery/christmas_fairies.jpg?width=350&height=263&mode=max

Hey all!

Ladies - check out www.dogfriendly.co.uk or www.cottages4u.co.uk for dogfriendly accommodation.  We've booked several through both and always found the descriptions really accurate and the owners very welcoming.

Hope you had a good shopping trip girls - when do we get to hear about/see all your goodies?

I've decided I'm going to spend the 26.2 voucher we got on a pair of Excel33's after Christmas - am liking the idea of them for longer distances since I'm already 8 months into going minimal but not fancying more than 90 minnutes in the 6mm's I already run in!

Richard it was a joy - have just posted in the TVXC thread too - we came looking for you - hope to see you at Tadley instead.  In case the rest of you were wondering - here's what we looked like (hee hee) though you can't really see our wings in this one!
Edited: 18/12/2011 at 15:17
18/12/2011 at 15:30
just entered Watford Half on 5th Feb so that's my early 2012 sorted - 2 XC races in Jan, Watford half 5th Feb, Reading half 1st April, Marathon at end April/early May (MK or MoNorth).  good to see some of you at these events. 
18/12/2011 at 15:40

Ooooh naughty naughty - missing the last xc!

My next race is Clivedon on 2 Jan so no boozy new year for me - thank goodness - I'm not abig drinker at the best of times but this month has been a bit loony! I bet you'll beat me at Tadley - I think you were just being gentlemanly today!

18/12/2011 at 18:52
SB - sorry for missing you at the end, had to leave to meet the better half - should have more time to chat at Tadley.  By the way, Tadley has a great sting in the tail in the last mile !!
mcs
18/12/2011 at 19:33
Running in the morning from great Longstone to Bakewell if you are up early lj?? Hope you enjoyed the Maynard try White lion in great Longstone for great food.
18/12/2011 at 21:17

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=186008&last=1&V=8&SP=

M...eldy wrote (see)
Your opportunity to be part of the RW Forum Six

You have One Post / One Pitch to tell us :

Who you are
What you have done
Why you want this
Recent 10k, half marathon, marathon (iff applicable) times
Time you would like to complete a marathon in

You will have

A commitment to the forum
A marathon place between April and end July in 2012
A sense of humour

Head your post MY PITCH so we can pick them out easily enough ....

Get pitching!!!   Pictures of puppies optional
19/12/2011 at 08:33

Hey Oscarr - no worries - thanks for the warning - am looking forward to it already! I hear it's a wet and gloopy course so may have to tape my shoes on LOL

mcs - oooh sounds nice - bet that was pretty in the snow?  Ours has all gone again boooo

19/12/2011 at 19:06
Pants to waiting and then not getting in as it's full!  That's me entered for Fleet ½ on 25th March.  It'll be my friend's first ever ½ and it's her birthday weekend to boot!  We'll be at the finish with a glass of something sparkling!
03/01/2012 at 12:42

Happy 2012 all! 

The New Year has started pretty well for me - my polar fit test result is up 4 points since I decided to take a 12 week rest from intervals so now I know - 9 months of intervals a year are quite enough!  And I survived the Cliveden Cross Country  on Monday (it involves 6.2 miles over4 2 laps of gorgeous National Trust land with 172 stairs to climb each lap). Woohoo

How are you guys all doing?

81 to 100 of 125 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.