ASICS 26.2 Consolation Thinking

Aimed at "the 19/40"

1 to 20 of 125 messages
14/12/2011 at 12:28

Hi all

Well time's ticking along and since I have no reference point for actually winning something as momentous as this my thoughts have turned to how to cheer myself up if the news is otherwise...

I've just ordered myself the most adorable pair of violet suede shoes which will be my reward for putting myself forward in the first place.  As I said in Birmingham - the Boot Camp felt like a prize anyway so I'm over the moon and hope to be a gracious loser in the overall comp.

Like a few of us also said - it'd be fab to meet up with our respective ability groups and others at the consolation half marathons where we can. (Again - another prize - happy days!)  Even if we only start together, I think it would be lovely to see the process through together.

For those of you who were subjected to what can only be described as attempted cyber-humiliation - please don't take it personally - I found none of you  annoying, irritating or otherwise and I will be following the winners with much interest as I now have my eye on the Kielder Marathon later in the year. Yes - I'm gonna bite the bullet (subject to a non-clash with a possible trip to Australia)and take the risk that I might end up not running again afterwards. Still, hopefully I'll learn enough to minimise that risk.  How those of you who do multiple marathons do it is beyond me.  Just amazing!

Anyway - my fingers and toes are crossed - Happy Christmas to one and all

14/12/2011 at 13:08

I loved Kielder this year and am definitely up for it in 2012. I can't PM you Sleepy Bear but would be fab to see you there..  

14/12/2011 at 13:12

Fantastic!

I think I have now updated my settings but if you don't get a response immediately forgive me - I have a mission with existing email and facebook but will try to remember another one to check.  Also will be floating round any Kielder thread that pops up once entries open. 

It looks just beautiful! We're just checking dates for Australia and then I can commit/not

14/12/2011 at 13:18

Yey! It was stunning this year - even in the rain. Really friendly atmosphere too I thought, (though I wasn't at the front where all the 'fuzzy' garmin and bus action happened!!). Definitely bring a change of clothes for going home though. I hadn't realised quite how muddy I was and stopped for petrol in a village in the Borders on the drive home. The garage attendant saw me walking in to pay and stopped me at the door. Had to pay on the forecourt and get him to fetch me my snacks as he was worried about the mess I'd make on the floor  

14/12/2011 at 13:21

My consoltation thinking is Palma Marathon.... Scary but a beatuiful race I bet.

I can't stand the tension any more! Anyone know when we'll hear?

14/12/2011 at 13:27

Top tip Rosie!  Poor you standing on the forecourt! I have a little comedy image in my head that's eliciting an 'awwwwwwwwwwww' response.

I know Gemma - waiting's always the worst bit eh! But Palma sounds like something to look forward to for sure.  The one in Norway that starts at midnight always fascinates me but not sure I'd be any good at that time of night - I like my sleep! Surprise eh!

Edited: 14/12/2011 at 13:28
14/12/2011 at 15:16

What about consolation for 40/40? The ones who didn't make it past Bootcamp? (sulks)

Can I come and play too?

Best of luck to all of you - has been really interesting reading the threads even if some of the regulars were a bit abrasive!

14/12/2011 at 15:21

Absolutely - sorry I meant for all 19 and 40 by the title - now I see it's a little confusing!

As soon as I hear anything and /or choose (if I get a choice) my half I'll let you know. Would be great to see everyone again!  Am sorry - you didn't get through - I don't suppose you heard why not?  Though I'm not sure that'd make it any easier.

Am getting really bored of waiting now - can't sit still, daren't leave PC/phone signal - please, please RW if you're reading this - can we have a decision yet? pretty please......

mcs
14/12/2011 at 15:43

I am doing a few races next year and it would be great to meet up and run and chat..........been an interesting day........................ here are some of my races subject to life and injury.........let me know what you are up to. A mate of mine did Kielder and found it tough, he did 4.50 but has just recovered from Bowel Cancer but said it was a real up and down challenge.

Grindleford Gallop 22 mile fell race in March in the Peak District really scenic run though tough if you go off too quick!!

Edinburgh in May

Great North Run 2012

Birmingham Half 2012

14/12/2011 at 15:48

Hey mcs - that sounds great.  We're not sure what we're doing post April next year as we're being moved again (Lincolnshire this time).  All I've got planned in so far are the local xc races which end in Feb and then it's all subject to today really.  I'm definitely up for something in the autumn though once we know the dates for Australia - cheap trip option so have to take it while we can!

Is there anything in September other than the GNR you'd recommend - that's got a bit big for my liking.  Last time I was there - getting to the start was all a bit of a drama!

14/12/2011 at 15:48
Good luck everyone - think they're about to announce the winner!
Edited: 14/12/2011 at 15:56
mcs
14/12/2011 at 15:57
Gutted not me!!! Never mind will get back to working now!!!
14/12/2011 at 16:00

Nor me - time to get back on with my life then!

14/12/2011 at 16:02
Where are the results, alternatively does anyone know if George (time for a nap) got in?
14/12/2011 at 16:05
Don't know yet - should be anytime now!  Keep an eye on the homepage!
mcs
14/12/2011 at 16:12

Yawn!!!!!!!!!

14/12/2011 at 16:20
Just to tie up the loose ends, not me either. Enjoy the run home Mark. Enjoy the shoes Hayley. I'm off for a consoling run myself.
mcs
14/12/2011 at 16:33

Think the other chap was an IT consultant so had plenty of email votes!!!

Seriously if you get up to the peak district message me for a run!! If I am free see you on the Monsal Trail.............

14/12/2011 at 16:35
Hey guys - unlucky eh!  Nevermind!  Will do!  Will be keeping an eye on the threads and hope to see you about!
Edited: 14/12/2011 at 17:16
14/12/2011 at 17:34
Sleepy Bear wrote (see)

Hi all

Well time's ticking along and since I have no reference point for actually winning something as momentous as this my thoughts have turned to how to cheer myself up if the news is otherwise...

I've just ordered myself the most adorable pair of violet suede shoes which will be my reward for putting myself forward in the first place.  As I said in Birmingham - the Boot Camp felt like a prize anyway so I'm over the moon and hope to be a gracious loser in the overall comp.

Like a few of us also said - it'd be fab to meet up with our respective ability groups and others at the consolation half marathons where we can. (Again - another prize - happy days!)  Even if we only start together, I think it would be lovely to see the process through together.

For those of you who were subjected to what can only be described as attempted cyber-humiliation - please don't take it personally - I found none of you  annoying, irritating or otherwise and I will be following the winners with much interest as I now have my eye on the Kielder Marathon later in the year. Yes - I'm gonna bite the bullet (subject to a non-clash with a possible trip to Australia)and take the risk that I might end up not running again afterwards. Still, hopefully I'll learn enough to minimise that risk.  How those of you who do multiple marathons do it is beyond me.  Just amazing!

Anyway - my fingers and toes are crossed - Happy Christmas to one and all

Loving the purchase of shoes as a treat for yourself! I got a pair of snowboots for getting through Birmingham. I found the whole driving up there, facing a load of people I had never met, being assessed on a freezing track and then driving miles home really daunting and I was proud for managing just that!

Your purple shoes sound much more fun than my boots!

Thank you for your lovely positive comment about cyberspace!

1 to 20 of 125 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.