Asics 26.2

Voting criteria

21 to 40 of 123 messages
06/12/2011 at 18:40
This year it's about individual goals, which I think is a really nice way of doing it.

I was aiming for a sub 4:30 in my last marathon (which was also my first) and I ended up with a time closer to 5hr. I was trying to follow a programme which didn't suit my lifestyle and other commitments, so got trapped in a cycle of poor quality training and injury which didn't help...

I'm shortlisted in the 'busy lifestyle' category this year, and would LOVE to be the first person to follow this new approach. I got so much out of hearing other people's training experiences on the forums, I'd really *REALLY* love to be able to do the same on here.

Take a look and I hope you'll choose to vote
06/12/2011 at 18:44

The great thing about the voting is as contender on the shortlist we get to vote too.

I know who I'm voting for in the other categories…

06/12/2011 at 18:54
Hi Gemma and Colin,

How are you both?

I think it's good too, adds a mix of different targets to the selections. I'm aiming to finish it and times come a very close second. It's that last 6.2 miles that scares me to be honest. Life goal.

Me too.
06/12/2011 at 19:09
When I saw it was about individual goals I wondered what on earth I would have said had I been entering this year.  Then I looked at them and found I have the same goals as many of you
06/12/2011 at 19:17
I like the "goals that aren't time specific" pressure.

Of course, time is important to us all (are there any runners who DON'T want a PB?!) but I want to have the best possible training I can have with a programme that suits me, and challenge myself in a completely different way.

And BoDuke- that's exactly what I thought, but those last 6.2 miles taste of knowing you're nearly there.

If you can crack 17-20 miles, you can crack the full 26.2 in style on the day
06/12/2011 at 19:23
LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
Sexiest fat bird in Lycra.

Your not fat  your sexxxxxxxxxxxxyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
06/12/2011 at 21:45

Sorry Matchstick man has no interest in my (and Gemma's) catergory - hopefully some folks will be!

This will (hopefully) be my third marathon - really want to break 4:30- but like Gemma its difficult getting the chance to train really well. Very busy job, two beastie boys to look after and there is the old running vs football match argument in our house too.

Its a bit parky out there tonight - long sleeves and a gillet (what a whimp!).

06/12/2011 at 21:58

Hey all, 

I think that the individual goals is a great idea and it was fascinating having the opportunity to meet so many great people all at different levels on Friday. I am delighted to be shortlisted and really want to offer the same level of support (albeit virtually) that my running group offer me to other Spring Marathon runners. I followed the Asics Super 6 carefully last year and it gave me real motivation and great advice for London.

This will be my third marathon too and would love the chance to break 4 hours - 4:00:13 is such a cruel time to be left with! ;) 

I feel I represent your average Runner's World runner. I have a busy work and home life, desperately try to fit in as much running as I can whilst maintaining a home / work / running balance!! Sometimes I achieve this more successfully than others!

Happy to pass on any 'average' wisdom I have obtained so far if anyone is interested!!

Thanks for your interest in the competition (oooh, and if you haven't voted in the PB Hunter category yet, vote for me !!)

seren nos    pirate
06/12/2011 at 22:01
My only worry with this way of voting is that we could have 4 of the 5 aiming for between a 4 and 4:30 marathon and that would exclude lots of other groups............if we vote that way i am sure the RW team will override the votes which is what they have let known they can do.......
06/12/2011 at 22:05

True Seren!

Mind you most people stream over the line between 4 and 5 hours so statistically there will be more people in this category. I hope that my ploddyness doesn't stop me being able to run Paris!

Plum    pirate
06/12/2011 at 23:31
OK

who drinks the most beer after training is one of my voting criteria....for beer you can read any alcoholic beverage
07/12/2011 at 07:00

Plum,

You're making it complicated now. How much by volume or by alcohol level:

A pint of beer vs a pint of wine vs a pint of whisky?

George

07/12/2011 at 07:20
Perhaps by number of units?
07/12/2011 at 07:55
Or by price?  That roughly takes into account alcohol content.
07/12/2011 at 08:58
Or by degree of translucence? I have a friend who prefers his red wine to be able to be seen through if you hold the bottle up to the light. I prefer my red wine full-bodied and my beer dark.
07/12/2011 at 09:00
Was planning on living like a monk, but could go all Trapist and live on Belgium beer alone. Might get liver damage and be skint, but all for a good cause. :-0
07/12/2011 at 09:10
Ah! Chimay Bleue. Probably ticks all of the boxes!
LIVERBIRD    pirate
07/12/2011 at 09:16
At the risk of stating the obvious, I think the principal reason they've changed the criteria so there is less focus on cracking a specific time, is because in previous years this has resulted in spectacular failure.
That said, not achieving a time you were going for doesn't MAKE you a failure. It might mean something else happened to stop that happening.

I maintain this competition is a bit of a poison chalice.
Cheerful Dave    pirate
07/12/2011 at 10:19
seren nos wrote (see)
My only worry with this way of voting is that we could have 4 of the 5 aiming for between a 4 and 4:30 marathon and that would exclude lots of other groups

There was me thinking that the majority on the shortlist had a PB, or were aiming for, less than 4 hours and that the selected 5 could all be aiming for <3:30. 

Problem is, it's all very well grouping them by goals or whatever, but at the end of the day the training programme for a 'busy lifestyle' runner aiming for 4:30 is going to be hugely different to someone else with the same lifestyle aiming for 3 hours.  Once the winners are selected and are posting on their threads, anyone interested in following them will tend to group by finish time anyway.

It's not rocket science, that's why all the long-running threads in the marathon section are based on finish time.

07/12/2011 at 13:25
Cheerful Dave, I think you're right - I don't think I'll vote because to be honest I'm so slow I can't relate to any of you! I used to enjoy posting and following other runners who are around the 5hr mark shall we say, and got a lot from it. But I know from chatting to people at my club, those who finish in say the 3-4 hour mark are almost doing a different sport. It's a shame that there isn't at least one person who I could relate to because by joining in the threads you can learn so much, but I think I'd feel a bit embarrassed rocking up to the equivalent of a "sub 3:30 thread" in my current form asking dunce questions like how to fuel a 3hr plus long run, etc

Good luck to those who are taking part though, and I hope that things work for you and that you achieve the goals you desire. It's an amazing opportunity, I'm sure.

*slopes off to the Outsider's Thread*
21 to 40 of 123 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.