Asics 26.2

Voting criteria

81 to 100 of 123 messages
08/12/2011 at 09:53

Your not wrong I don't think it's possible to halve your marathon time in 16weeks, but I do think training/running advice comes from a varied range of sources and I try and adapt all the time to new information in order to improve

08/12/2011 at 10:38
I've voted for people that have made an effort with posting in the past, because I know they are more likely to post regularly during their training. MCS is the guy I most want to go through, being similar age to myself, with similar targets and good forum posting history.

I made an exception to my "posting" criteria for the first timers, but I couldn't be bothered voting in the "qualifying time" category, because I may as well shut my eyes and use a pin.

I want to follow someone targeting 4:15 to 4:30, so I hope someone gets through with that kind of target who is committed to posting all that they learn.
08/12/2011 at 10:48
Tenjiso, stick a pin in in the qualifying time section it might make me run faster! My aim if I get through is to post tips and tricks for everyone whether it is picking the right hill for a hill session or how to find motivation on a cold february morning
Nam
08/12/2011 at 11:21

My "criteria" are a bit random...

I'm not at all motivated by folks proposed times etc I'm sort of more interested in them as people, although Choisty's story of halving his mara time over the years sounds fun and he's had my vote.  Plus he had a friendly smile in the picture and says he gets lost a lot... something I can associate to... *coughs*

But I've voted for others just on the basis of their friendly banter on the threads they started, or the fact that they have a dog... 

In terms of feeling you have something "in common" with someone, running times per se mean nothing to me personally to make that link.

08/12/2011 at 13:07
Choisty, I previously missed the fact that you post a lot of race reviews, so this has swung it for me. Good luck.
08/12/2011 at 13:35
Choisty.. you've got my vote fella, great to see an improver.  lol at your 6:43 time!  Did you stop for a pub lunch & a haircut? 
08/12/2011 at 15:17

Oi...I really was that slow, I may of over-hydrated as I stoppped for several wees.  I got overtaken by Rhinos, the sweeper wagon...well the lot really to finish in 28,657th the thing that stands out for me though is that even after all that time there were still people cheering me on.

I also had the goal of sub-7 as that is when they take down the finish linea dn you don't get a medal on the day, although I did miss out on the sandwhiches in the goody bag the tube wasn't crowded!

08/12/2011 at 15:19
Just realised how odd that looks, a goal of sub-7hrs
08/12/2011 at 18:23

SNHM - If I may be presumptuous, Reg would like to thank you very much for the vote. Unless of course there are other ASICs 26.2 contenders shamelessly using their pets in their campaign?!

Seriously though, I am uber committed to this competition. I would relish the opportunity and although, I haven't been a major poster on these threads in the past, I have been a keen voyeur! My progress through this process has definitely given my running confidence a boost and it is great to feel as though I would be able to support others through my personal goals.

In person, this has very much been the story of my association with my running group where I essentially marathon trained with them over the summer (they were training for Berlin) in order to keep them company. At the end of this process, I decided I didn't want to waste the training, entered myself for Chester and was rewarded by knocking 12 mins off my PB. Essentially, I want to bring this ethic to the forums and offer the same support in a virtual way through my own aims and objectives. 

Vote for me because I know how much it means to support others and because I have a super cute dog.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/competitions/win-our-christmas-gift-guide-/374.html

Ladey Jadey x  

p.s. been totally distracted by the forums now and so need to get my trainers on and go for a run!

08/12/2011 at 20:54

Never mind cute pets ...

I tried to get the guys in work into the whole voting thing ...needless to say, the girls collected all the votes

Regardless of whatever motive or target that got folks to enter or indeed post on the forum, the one thing we all share is a passion for the simple art of running. Considering the range of abilities and backgrounds, I reckon that is pretty special in itself !

08/12/2011 at 22:09

Well said Graham!

And with the runners going for the other categories, I'm going for people I'd feel inspried by, people who genuinely enjoy the forums and people who sound really dedicated.

Does anyone know whether the vote is final or whether there's any selection by RW after that?

08/12/2011 at 22:24

Hi Gemmabee, shame the groups at bootcamp weren't mixed up more after each session as we only kind of mixed with others in the same group. Good luck with the voting process and that goes for all the other candidates in all the groups. I think it's pretty even stephens judging by the input of all those that have come on the forums, been interesting reading through peoples profiles and their posts. Not sure on the final voting process might be on one of the emails we've had from RW?

Good luck everyone!

seren nos    pirate
08/12/2011 at 22:27
they did state on the original applications that the vote was only part of the final decsion.....
08/12/2011 at 22:31
Well there you go, looks like someone read the small print, now where are my glasses?
Will it be like X factor where after the phone vote the Judges have to vote to send one of their acts home?
08/12/2011 at 23:05
Totally agree on the mixing of groups. Group 4 were fab but it would have been good to get to know fellow runners in the other camps. That said, I thought that the day was great and I am genuinely delighted to have got this far. And Graham, I am all about the running but you can never underestimate the power of a cute pooch Night all!
08/12/2011 at 23:06
Oh, and the run was really good - http://ladeyjadey.wordpress.com/ Don't you just love it when that happens! Def time for bed now! x
09/12/2011 at 09:26

I've been voting based on how I feel I would get on with the individuals.  Someone who only posts the stats about their runs is going to make for pretty dry reading and unless they have the same goals as me (which they won't as I am concetrating on swimming next year) I would not bother to read their threads.

But if they have the ability to make their posts interesting and the potential to be someone I could call a friend if I knew them in the real world, then I am more likely to support them.

I've also been asking questions which have been aimed at probing their attitude to slow runners.  One of the things that I love about my running club is the support that the fast runners have for the slower ones.  They always hang around and cheer in the last runners and make me feel special however slow they are.  I think this says a lot about a person's true commitment to the running community and suggests that they are going to give back as well as take.

I have already cast my votes so I cannot be influenced any more, but the people I voted for all seemed to have a genuine respect for runners of all abilities - yes, even those of us that run at 12 or 13 min/miles or need walking breaks.  I'm not surprised at all about the comments I have seen from some people mocking runners slower than 11 min/miles, or even 10 min/miles as some people love to make themselves feel better by putting down others, but that is not the sort of person I wish to ahve anything to do with.

09/12/2011 at 09:36

Vote for me. A wasp flew into my mouth when I was running and I didn´t even kill it, which is much more pro-animal than having a cute dog.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/competitions/win-our-christmas-gift-guide-/374.html

09/12/2011 at 09:39
SuperCaz, here here, I love fact that people are out there enjoying the same sport as me, pace is immaterial we all try, but its always more fun when your smiling
09/12/2011 at 09:44
Choisty, I worked that out and voted for you
81 to 100 of 123 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.