ASICS Super Six: Alex (Sub-4:00)

Follow the progress of Alexandra_S, our sub-4:00 hopeful

1,181 to 1,200 of 1,209 messages
19/10/2011 at 22:11
Good luck for Dublin Alex, it's a lovely race
20/10/2011 at 09:18

Hi Alex,

Well, I seem to be back in the running saddle, so to speak. 20 miler at the weekend, -5c at 0700 when I set off and felt good until the last couple of miles. Running solo didn't help I think and everything other than the knee I injured the other week hurt. So the knee seems up to the task.

This week, done some intervals and a couple of easy runs and have a 5 mile tempo tomorrow. It seems to be going ok.

On the 31st I shall have my feet up and will be keeping an eye out for Dublin updates

21/10/2011 at 16:23

Good luck for Dublin, Alex,  agree with Bridget, it is a lovely friendly race.

I'm also doing it, and hope to do it justice this year, I did it last year, but on hindsight, probably shouldn't have, as had lost two months training due to injury, so didn't have any really long runs under my belt, so really suffered on the day. Thankfully this year, have been following more structured training, and it's going to plan - which strangly enough is causing its own worries - can't use the excuse of poor training this year!

Mainly hope the weather is as good as last year, it was perfect last year, made a lot of difference to the day.

The Irish times did a writeup in the form of a virtual "run through" the day, which I've always thought summed up the day really well, and is well worth a read, imo.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/1023/1224281823172.html

Regards,

Martin

21/10/2011 at 17:56

I've just read the Irish Times article, fantastic reading and sums up the whole thing, in particular the difference that the day itself can make. No matter what training you've done the weather, food the night before, any one of a million things can change the outcome.

I'm feeling good about a week Sunday, even with the dodgy knee. Not saying I'm going to run in a time that starts with a 3, but if I'm in the same state of mind then I'll be giving it a good old go.

27/10/2011 at 08:59

Hello all - hope the last few days with our friendly tapir (I can't remember, is it Jean Claude?) are going well. Any issues with the flooding in Dublin Alex?

Beachy Head for me last Saturday, if you are ever in need of some hills then do it.......

27/10/2011 at 10:26

KateF - I've heard about Beachy Head, Achy Legs would be a better name from what I've been told I hope you had a good run.

Good last LSR on Sunday, not that it was slow (for me anyway) 10 miles averaging 8.40min/miling. Was very happy with that

Unfortunately I've contracted Man Flu and done nothing else all week which in a way may not be a bad thing as I've managed to survive it and I'm slowly recovering. Fingers crossed that it's cleared up in the next 24hrs (yes, it was only the mildly life threatening version) and it'll be all systems go for Frankfurt on Sunday. The aim, to enjoy it and to crack them painful last few miles without blowing up. Do that and I'll be a very happy bunny.

Good luck for Monday Alex, make sure you take a canoe just in case!

27/10/2011 at 11:19

Kate - i'm definatly tempted to do a half over beachy head. I have scheduled it into my events that i have planned to do next year. Think its aboit March time

Alex could well end up doing a biatholon with all that water on Monday. Hope that man flu clears up SRM

30/10/2011 at 21:55

Frankfurt done and dusted. What a fantastic race and atmosphere, I highly recommend it.

No sub 4hr, but a huge leap in the right direction, 4hr 11min 56sec, a new PB by 16min and 45sec. I didn't expect to go sub 4 in truth, knocking almost 30mins off a time done in May is a heck of a lot. I am a very happy bunny this evening. Next year with a good winter base training phase, sub 4 will be mine

Alex, good luck for tomorrow, you were so close in Paris, I'm very confident that tomorrow you'll smash it.

31/10/2011 at 07:48
Well done SRM, a huge number off your PB, and sets you up for the winter. Good luck Alex, make sure you enjoy it.
10/11/2011 at 11:16
Ok, has anyone searched the Guinness factory to see if Alex got lost running around Dublin and sneaked in for a quick barrel of the black stuff?
15/11/2011 at 11:36

Hahah hello! Wasn't getting any notifications so thought no one was messaging!

So, I'm back from Dublin. I didn't break four hours - I ran in 4:03 - but I did stop for the loo (first time in a race ever!) and hugged my BF twice and his mum once, so I figure I probably ran an unofficial sub-4:00 marathon anyway. And my BF and his mum were so happy to be hugged!

Unlike Paris, I smiled pretty much the whole way around - the route was gorgeous and interesting and varied and the crowd support was the complete opposite of Paris - absolutely amazing. People cheered my name pretty much the whole way around, and the last kilometre was phenomenal - people packed five deep on either side of the road, a deafening roar, amazing support - I ended up crossing the finish line with the goofiest, teariest smile on my face. It then absolutely pssed down with rain and I've been battling bronchitis for the last two weeks! Happily, though, I raised nearly £2,000 for Cancer Research UK, and my BF has moved back from Abu Dhabi after two years apart. So, all in all, the Dublin marathon was pretty bloody amazing and such a different experience to Paris. I only beat my PB by 3 minutes, but honestly, I feel 300% better about the whole race.

In conclusion, I think Paris taught me the power of my mind over my body, and Dublin taught me to let go of times. I think I let go of a sub-4:00 time around 1 hour and 15 minutes in (when I stopped for the loo) and then, instead of feeling disappointed the rest of the way, just enjoyed the race. Amazeballs.

15/11/2011 at 13:05

Thank goodness you are safe and well, I was worried!  Many congratulations at achieving such positive things from Dublin and enjoy having BF in the same country.

What is your next plan...?

15/11/2011 at 15:17
Congratulations Alex, sounds like you had a brilliant time and all is good with you. How's the recovery going, still doing various ballet, spinning, baking etc?
15/11/2011 at 17:28

Thanks guys! Yes, still as busy as i can be baking, spinning, powerplating, balleting and things. Kate - do you still have a crazy schedule of races through fields and over hedges planned for the rest of the year?

Next plan is to improve my times over shorter distances. I love half marathons and intend to do one a month next year. Park runs, 10kms, but also more cross training. I feel as though my legs and bum are super strong, but my arms could do with a bit of a work out! My BF is a very fast runner over shorter distances and is trying to encourage me to do more swimming (maybe a tri's on the horizon...?). Less rigidity for a bit anyway....

What about you guys??

15/11/2011 at 19:27

Well done Alex, a 3 min improvement and you enjoyed your day, couldn't ask for more.

I'm in week 3 of post  Frankfurt recovery, starting to run more regularly but all very easy paced. I'll be running marathons again in 2012, at Dusseldorf in April and Cologne in October assuming I stay injury free. Drop in the odd 10k, 10miler (Bruggen 10) and a HM or two for good measure. The top priority though a sub 4 marathon, plain and simple. The improvements have been huge across all the distances I've run this year and I'm convinced there is more to come, in particular over 26.2 miles

16/11/2011 at 07:16

Next up for me is Florence, which is Sunday week - no hills or mud or anything! Would like to go sub 4 but no expectations, whilst I've been clocking up regular 60 mile weeks my long runs have been either 16 - 18 miles or marathons so a bit sporadic. Brighton next year will have a proper training schedule (apart from the Eco trail ultra in Paris 3 weeks before, oops).

I also want to improve my HM and 10Ks, as I was ill at the beginning of the year I haven't done any, so Wokingham in Feb is a goal to get some speed going. 6 marathons and 2 ultras signed up for next year, with a few more still to add......

How's the BF coping the temperature over here after Abu Dahbi Alex, swimming must be a lot less appealing?

23/11/2011 at 14:12

Yes, although the pool at London Fields is heated, which is awesome during the winter as you swim through rising steam!

Have just decided to run a half marathon a month next year. Not decided on one for January yet, but am entering Brighton in Feb, and Berlin in April!

29/11/2011 at 20:37

Let me know what you find for January Alex, I need another race! Florence was Sunday, and I am going to have an unashamed boast, 3.43.26, I didn't think it was possible! Very pleased with myself and the refuelling afterwards was amazing.

So now a wind down, I'm going to try and do a marathon a month in 2012 so am scouring round for January at present.

30/11/2011 at 12:20

Kate you are amazing - massive congrats and a magnum of champagne for you!

I don't know how you do it - a marathon a month in 2012? Do you ever get injured? You must be built for marathon running. Super impressed and proud.

Have doing two halves in Feb now - Watford and Brighton, so if I don't find one for Jan I won't be too worried. Will let you know if I find a good one for Jan though!

01/12/2011 at 15:42

KateF - Well done on your marathon time, clearly reaping the rewards for all the effort you have put in throughout the year. As for 12 in 12, I take my hat off to you, I'm contemplating something similar but have to get Royal approval from the OH first. The time and financial investment is no small matter these days.

1,181 to 1,200 of 1,209 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.