ASICS Super Six: Bridget (Sub-4:15)

Follow the progress of Ultra Sparkly Bridget, our sub-4:15 hopeful

1,421 to 1,435 of 1,435 messages
14/04/2011 at 07:03

I ran last night.  Didn't look at my watch until I got back.

5.05  miles in 56:54 (11.41, 11.33, 11.35, 10.58, 10.36)

Out to just past this and then back again

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/17438/gallery/arch.jpg?width=350&height=263&mode=max

My own little Arc

14/04/2011 at 22:28

Hmmm.  'Do some easy miles this week with maybe a few strides'......... I'm not sure tonight's club session really fitted that description

It was a social evening. We were divided into mixed teams of 4 and given numbered stickers.  After a warm up loop numbers 1 & 4 got to run it again in opposite directions until they met when they had to turn around and un back the way they came.  Numbers 2 & 3 got to stand around outside the pub and then when the others got back they ran instead.  We were supposed to do 4 loops each but I only did 2 and then a warm down loop.

My quick miles were 8.32 and 8.38.  Rather long strides!

14/04/2011 at 22:30
But was it fun?
14/04/2011 at 22:44

Yes it was

It also showed the benefits of those long reps on the speedwork

14/04/2011 at 22:50
What's this speedwork of which you speak?

Glad you had a fun run tonight, it must have been good for the soul.
14/04/2011 at 23:48
Good speed. Looks like you are clearly recovered now and ready to ease back into more normal training and start work on the next marathon!
15/04/2011 at 07:07

I still seem to be catching up on the broken sleep from a strange bed in an overwarm room but yes from the running point of view it looks good.

Family stuff permitting I am planning a long run tomorrow so that I can settle myself down with the ironing and watch VLM on Sunday morning

15/04/2011 at 10:57

Nice running, B, and good to see that you've managed to get back on track so quickly after last week.  Looking forward to hearing that you've stormed your PB, whenever you do your next mara.

I've often wondered about the pros and cons of speed work as there seem to be two schools of thought about shorter reps, I knew one person (sub 3 mara, female) who said that speed work was best done over longer distances, ie mile reps. 

Will you carry on posting on here, or will you join the other threads as appropriate (distance, race etc?)

15/04/2011 at 11:02

Longer reps are the most relevant for improving marathon times but personally I find it best to have a variation of speeds and distances and what time you run the marathon is dependant on what time you can run the half-marathon in which there is a relation to what time you run 10k at and that to an extent is dependant on what time you run 5k at, so even 5K speed can have a small part to play in marathon training and performance.

15/04/2011 at 11:07
Thanks for that advice, Steve. It's difficult for me to find anywhere locally where I could run the shorter distances mentioned in some plans , so mine had tended to be of longer distance or time, but I'll look to incorporate more variety.
15/04/2011 at 12:59

Jeepers - do you use a Garmin or something similar?  I set the reps on that so it doesn't matter where I do them although I would obviously avoid hilly bits!

Jeepers wrote (see)

Will you carry on posting on here, or will you join the other threads as appropriate (distance, race etc?)

Good question.  After all this time of posting the gory details of my runs on here (and only occasionally cutting and pasting into my blog elsewhere) it seems strange this week having nothing specific to report back on.  I've do already have my 'regular' threads which I dipped into but maybe neglected a bit over the last few months (I have made an effort to get back to these) and would join threads for specific races.  However I don't think there is a 4.15 thread apart from this one (feel free to point me at it if I've missed it)  so not sure what to do about that.  I'm happy to continue to post on here if people would like me to (especially if I get to share good news about my time in the future)   

15/04/2011 at 15:35

I'd love to keep posting etc and swapping notes on progress, although I'm right back at square one - still after nearly 6 months off, I'm just so pleased to be able to get back out. 

You could start a 4:15 thread - people might not necessarily think to look on here if they feel that it's only about Paris - but regulars will know where you are

I do use my Garmin for reps, it's more that it's quite busy where I run, making it difficult to find the space to do reps without either bumping into people, or having to slow down etc to avoid them / traffic.   The short ones advocated in some programmes would be quite difficult, so I've tended to do mine as longer ones, ie in mile distances to avoid the crowds.  There are a good few hills near me which I used to use for hill reps, but again, there are a lot of people going up and down, so it wasn't terribly successful.  I'm going to check local routes out and see if I can find some spots which would do for shorter reps.

15/04/2011 at 15:59

I mostly do evening runs and use a cycle/footpath along a ring road so generally not too busy.  I do have to travel to get there though.  You'd have laughed at me when I was trying to work out somewhere close to home for 400m ones - I was plotting lines on maps for hours!

Another thread sounds like a good idea and might draw other people in.

EditIn fact here it is

Edited: 15/04/2011 at 16:05
21/04/2011 at 10:39

USB - Knowing exactly how hard it is to dnf, You made the right choice, don't beat yourself up over it. 

21/04/2011 at 11:39
If you have any aches or niggles after your spring marathon, join our webchat with ASICS PRO Team physio Sarah Connors. She's live on our forums today giving recovery advice from 1-2pm, or you can start posting your questions now: http://bit.ly/gOb6SW

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1,421 to 1,435 of 1,435 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.