ASICS Super Six: Matthew (Sub-5:00)

Follow the progress of Mustkeeptrying, our sub-5:00 hopeful

41 to 60 of 1,134 messages
31/12/2010 at 14:12
Hope I've not upset the red jelly babies fanclub lol
01/01/2011 at 10:18
HAPPY NEW YEAR! Here's to a injury free and successful running year! 100 days till the Paris marathon!
Went out to house party last night and chose to be the driver and...had a good time without boozing...crazy world- this could be a eureka moment
Edited: 01/01/2011 at 10:22
01/01/2011 at 10:51

Well week two's schedule nearly done and i'm really pleased with how its been going. Choosing to have today as a rest day as still up in Leeds and family is all coming round to ma and pa's house. Just going to take it easy for the 7 miles tomorrow (going to jog near emmerdale country as its nearby) and probably take the full 90 mins doing a jog and then walk for a few mins. 

WEEK TWO

Mon Rest

Tue 4M (approx 50 mins) slow
Wed Rest

Thu 1M jog, then 2 x 1.5M (or 15 mins) fast, with 800m (5:30-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog

Fri Rest

Sat Rest or 3M (approx 39 mins) easy

Sun 7M (approx 90 mins) run/walk

and then we will be in to week 3......

WEEK THREE

Mon Rest

Tue 1M jog, then 3 x 1M (or 10 mins) fast, with 400m (3:15-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog

Wed Rest

Thu 4M (approx 50 mins) slow

Fri Rest

Sat Rest or 3M (approx 39 mins) easy
Sun 8M (approx 100 mins) run/walk

Edited: 01/01/2011 at 10:52
01/01/2011 at 12:33
Happy New Year!
01/01/2011 at 20:15
Matthew - Happy new year -- a great start to the first 2 weeks - you look nn schedule.
01/01/2011 at 23:26
Happy new year .... a successful, injury free 2011 for us all I hope xxx
Bagged another 3 miles today, hoping to do 5 tomorrow then start the garmin schedule week 2 on Monday x
02/01/2011 at 00:25

Hi Mustkeeptrying, just thought I'd check in to your thread and say hello!

I was one of the unlucky shortlisted peeps in the sub 3.15 category. It looks like you have got stuck into the schedule already and making some good progreaa in your training sessions in the absence of your mentor. Don't want to sound patronising, but well done for that as it shows the committment needed to see you through to your goal. Just remember to gradually build up the milage in your campaign and try and stick to the schedule as closely as you can. I did my first marathon last year at London and followed the prescribed RW plan. I loved the fact that for 16 weeks i knew what I was supposed to be doing everyday (and also my wife & 2 kids too). It made it more easy to fit the training in.  Good luck and I feel that you have got that passion that will see you through to April 10th!

03/01/2011 at 09:25
Nice running diggin deep and thanks for your lovely message knight rider
Sorry could not post yesterday but 7 miler in the bag. Did 1st mile in13 mins then sped it up. After 4 1/5 I started to get a twing in the back of the top of right leg and so donned my captain sensible hat and slowed right down. I felt my legs and they were freeZing so going to wear my attractive leggings in future for mornings runs as legs felt constricted in the cold. Last run in Leeds and back down to Wales today.
03/01/2011 at 16:36
Well done on the training, extra pat on the back for the captain sensible hat!!!
03/01/2011 at 21:24
Pat done lol Leg been tight so had a spray session with ice pain relief stuff and, fingers crossed problem solved ( in fact got spray on bits not supposed to and had a rather enjoyable tingly afternoon- yeah, to much information lol) although I guess will see with tomorrows timed programme of running craziness! Back on home turf now so look out valleys of wales! Week 3 bring it on!
04/01/2011 at 00:06
sometimes it is much easier to be brave and foolish rather than sensible so well done on making the right decision - no point getting injured now.
04/01/2011 at 09:54

thanks steve-soo frightened of getting injured and really going to listen to my body. That bit of the leg feels good today . Calves a little tight so had another spray session and they feel good to. I'm heading out this afternoon for the session-

1M jog, then 3 x 1M (or 10 mins) fast, with 400m (3:15-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog

and looking foward to it as this was my best session last week focusing on the timing of each part. I've put each part of the training on the calendar like knight rider suggested so that the whole family knows whats needed, when, and they can poke me with a stick when necesary.

<wife picks up branch and has evil look in her eye> lol

04/01/2011 at 10:09

hey Matt, you might remember me - bleached hair, tattoos - from the selection day. Well done on getting into the Six, mate. Stick with it.

I've entered Prague marathon (few weeks after Paris) and am also turning things up a notch.

I'll be keeping an eye on yr training. Good luck.

Edited: 04/01/2011 at 10:10
04/01/2011 at 10:34
Hi Ian yeah remember you mate, your awesome tats and the super speed you were doing around the track in brum! Prague sounds great. I went there for my stag to appreciate the...cough...architecture and had a great time. It really is a beautiful city and sure your gonna set a blistering pace across st Charles bridge. Please stay in touch and let us know how your training goes.
04/01/2011 at 21:55
Todays details- raining cats and dogs so not much fun more like swimming than running!
1 mile jog 12:23
1 mile 10:23 felt good
400 metres 3:20
1 mile 10:31 felt much harder than 1st speedier mile
400 metres 3:45
1 mile 3 mins in and right leg tightening like during 7 miler so slowed it down and used this to complete session (12:45)

So... Positives- got pretty much on track for most of session
But feel gutted I did not do it all. Leg feels fine now as well. Maybe it's just the feeling of muscles emerging- something I'm not used to.
04/01/2011 at 22:20

Better safe than sorry - had you pushed it and caused damage it would have been far worse than missing a bit - although I do sympathise (as only a runner can lol ) with that hindsight feeling of " I could've/should've pushed it!!!

I managed the 4 miles required today although I have blisters from the new trainers I'm trying to break in  .........

Take care x

04/01/2011 at 22:38

Are you sure it's the shoes?  Sometimes socks can be to blame too

04/01/2011 at 22:47
Not 100% but blisters aren't something I've had a problem with touch wood, I've switched brands on the trainers to see if it helps with plantar faciitis, I expect time will tell! I'll certainly try the different socks too x
04/01/2011 at 22:54
The only time I've had a blister was in a short cross country race when my spikes rubbed so I'm no expert!  I did find myself wondering how many miles I should get out of a pair of socks at the weekend though when something felt slightly uncomfortable.  Do Asics do socks I wonder?
05/01/2011 at 00:06
MKT - good first two reps and the right move to ease back. It may not be something sinister and just a cramping effect that will pass when the body adapts to the speedwork but for now wise to ease off
41 to 60 of 1,134 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.