ASICS Super Six: Matthew (Sub-5:00)

Follow the progress of Mustkeeptrying, our sub-5:00 hopeful

801 to 820 of 1,134 messages
27/03/2011 at 19:44
Hello all.

MKT, great happiness in your post.

Just adding to this list of fine runs. Had a really good morning at the Forest of Dean trail half. Worked out average at 10.18 min miles, but can't work out the mile splits because my blooming garmin is not cooperating. The event is exactly as described in the title: a nice and hilly off-road race through forest.

D'you think it will be much help for flat and tarmac-covered Llanelli in a fortnight? Ha ha.

At least it will be a contrast.
27/03/2011 at 20:10
I wish sub 4:30 Steve

Ace running vik and awesome going mighty pudding you're a speed machine....

Part 2

Sorry had to sort kids out earlier.......

So got to 6 without even knowing it really. When I checked the watch it was 55 mins in and so I pushed a bit harder to get under the hour for 6 miles. Felt soo comfortable and strong and got to 9 miles by 1:34 another pb
Half way in to mile 10 I was catching this woman pushing a buggy along the canal and as I passed it was one of the nurses that helped looked after me in Neville hall hospital before being transferred to cardiff last year. So I stopped and we caught up as she was so lovely to me. Probably chatting for 4, 5 mins and then I continued but was out of the zone and struggling mentally as i had been through all the different techniques mentioned in part one. The following times I took off 4 mins for the chat with the nurse...Got to 11 miles at 2 hours, 12 at 2:11:37 and 13 @ 2:23:46 pb ....quarter of way through 13 and got phonecall saying had to go to lunch (with my parents as they are down) and so finished up doing 13 and three quarters.
Big difference this week is that my legs feel fine with just a bit of a sore left ankle that I may get a support for. I took supports with me and put one on my left thigh at 11 miles and it did a great job. No blisters at all today either.

So loving running right now....so pleased to overcome most of the mental side which has always been my biggest hurdle and to achieve loads of pbs today. Sub 5 starts to again look possible but it will come down to how I feel on the day and what happens to the legs post 18 mileage or so. But I feel like it is all coming together well and so at the very least a marathon pb looks like it could be on the card thanks to all your efforts on the forum
Edited: 27/03/2011 at 20:13
27/03/2011 at 20:15
Come in Silburbas....last to report....hope you had a good day buddy?
27/03/2011 at 20:16
Seren sorry for mucking up your screen....RW forum computer page seems unable to handle extreme joy
27/03/2011 at 20:30

Hats off to you MKT.  Well done.  I've certainly got a lot to learn from you about positive thinking.  After limping home last week, that's a great comeback.  You mucked my screen up too.

27/03/2011 at 20:48

Hi everyone, I have been last to report on purpose until everyone has said something, and you all had fantastic runs....<pats everyone's back>

I could not match your excellent runs cos my daughter was not well today.

Wife went to see her father and then gone to work in the afternoon, so was stuck home, however the front garden is looking nice instead.

I am not negative about this because I will reschedule my run and split my 18 miles to do a run to work 9M away and back which will depend on daughter circumstances and hopefully be running home tuesday night and then back to work on wednesday morning, which saves me carrying my work clothes and shoes, as I can leave them there.

Still smiling with P.M.A. and smiling even more seeing everyone done the work for me today!
27/03/2011 at 20:49

Excellent run and now time to taper - - great report and very pleased you have finished the hard training on such a high note..

27/03/2011 at 21:46

Hi,

Sorry to butt in but I was after some advice please and came to this thread as I am also aimng for about 4.45 in the vlm.  I did 20 miles today in 3.47. 

Anyway my question is about what distances to do over the next 3 weeks.  I originally downloaded the RW garmin sub 5hr schedule, but that schedule appears to have now changed! I am now confused as to what mileage to do.  I am currently running 4 times a week and covered 38 miles this week and 40 last week.  My old plan had me doing - 5.5,5,9 & 17 next week but the new plan says 6.5,7,4 & 15.  I don't know how many miles to cover. Please help!

Thanks

Jem  

27/03/2011 at 22:41
Hi geegee all welcome and great running for the 20 miles...will leave schedule advice to the maestro Steve but you seem to be going great. I think go with what what feels right to you and your body
27/03/2011 at 23:10
Silburbas sorry to read ur daughters not well and I hope she is better soon. Sounds like you have a plan coming together though...I love it when a plan comes together...phrase from which 80's tv show?
28/03/2011 at 00:22
geegee - you do seem to be running fine - i'd go for the new plan - 15 next week will be fine
28/03/2011 at 08:01

whoop whoop tim eto taper and we all made it!!!

Flo PO - how you doing?

Might give vebice another thought then

28/03/2011 at 20:10
Been reading RW magazine that came through the door this morning. Loads of interesting stuff and especially the article about pacing. I am not sure what to do anymore. I thought I had the right plan....blast hard and get up on the time and then try and hang on for as long as possible keeping the dream alive. I think I liked this as it mentally suits me. In RW it says about having a couple of plans ready for the day in case thing do not go well. What's best for me Steve or anyone

Plan 1- blast hard and try to keep going, expecting the last 10 mileage to be slow going.

Plan 2- steady as much as possible but leaving no room for error.

Plan 3- alternate fast and pace miles to build up some leeway.

Just concerned that yes i had great run Sunday but know that i would start to suffer by 17 or 18 miles and that the time would dramatically drop. Although on the day I may he able to overcome all that. I have not trained really going at 11:20 ish pace consistently mile after mile. Maybe I might try that tomorrow and see how it feels. All confused now.....headache brewing
28/03/2011 at 20:58

i'm by no means an expert but even pacing is the key I think- last year i started off too ast and paid for it round mile 22 onwards- it was ghastly

I'm going to try and stick with the 5hrs pacer as far as i can hopefully until mile 23ish then see if i can push on........................... famous last words and that........

28/03/2011 at 21:05

Having done London last year as my first I just sneaked in at 4.57.....My advice would be to ease in gently at the start and try to hold back a bit so you don't burn out.

My second half was slower so I know what you mean about getting some good time in the bag early but still think it is better to settle in gently and push on later if you can. No point going sub 10mm early then being 12/13 mm later....

VikW not too bad thanks grateful I deferred London this year as would have had to pull out anyway with my injury. Deferred it as a big birhday next year and 2012.....

Did a nice little 5 mile recovery run tonight in the country nice in the light....

28/03/2011 at 21:14
Yes the more time you get in hand to halfway, the earlier fatigue sets in and probably about 99% of cases 5-10 minutes too fast on first half can mean 20-30 minutes or more too slow on second half. The last six will be tough whatever so best to get to 20 miles with a little in hand and not totally exhausted. For a sub 5, the ideal halfway time is 2:26-2:30. I would suggest a 2:29. If you slow a lot after a 2:29, then the deceleration would be far, far worse if you went through in 2:20.
28/03/2011 at 21:32
Hi all,

What I learnt in my first VLM and last year half was that using my plan to set off fast and beat out the remaining minutes miserably failed. This year I stuck to a contanst pace and actually feel fresher toward the latter miles. The only exception to that was in San Dom!

Since London and Paris are flat and no twists at the end I plan to run with a 11:00 pacer which they will have in London and try and stick with them until mile 20 which then if feel good go stronger. If feeling hitting the wall then I do have some leeway since 20x11:00 is 3h50 leaving us 70 minutes to do the last 6.5M (added extra as we never gonna use the racing line) which leaves you 12:15 pace to do the end.

That is my A-team style plan.

But it will unlike the plan I had this week as my girl got the bug so running to work is out of the window as have to get back early tmr night and take day off work weds. In laws can't help as father just had op.
28/03/2011 at 22:19
Thanks flo po, Steve and the silbutbas....I am coming around to your way of thinking as it does make sense...worry that I take it slower and still the legs don't respond later on...but I think that this is the best way as I am 99% realistic that the last 6 miles would be 13 min plus miles.

So I am fretting slightly about practising going at 11 min miles so I think I will change the speed session to practice going at this pace around a track for 5 miles.
28/03/2011 at 22:24
The stress inspired me to go swimming tonight and I did 25 x 33 (825 metres) in 21 mins which I think is a personal best
28/03/2011 at 22:27
As I said they will have pacers at London, do you know if there be pacers at Paris? It be worth finding out.

I can comfortably run 10:30 pace for 10 miles but hold back to 11:00 for london for keep body easy.

Best of luck in session tmr
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.