ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

A great prize & challenge

2,541 to 2,560 of 4,103 messages
16/04/2013 at 21:41

Sarah - The reports say that it was a suspected Cardiac Arrest but no further information, can't seem to shake it from my mind at the moment all I can think is moment I passed him.

Malcs - I will be popping up from time to time, although Mrs Reg has literally just said your not back on that forum are you? I was a bit nervous, but just glad I had enough in the tank to motor on.

Its events like the past two days that bring communities, local and wider, together and peoples determination to show that they won't be beaten.  The report of the Boston runners going to the hospital to give blood just proves that.

17/04/2013 at 10:46

Reg - ha! It's like you've sneaked out for a cheeky pint with the lads Better watch that you regulate your posting then or she'll have the rolling pin out!

Sorry, missed your question earlier. I'm doing the Great Welsh Marathon in Llanelli. It's a nice small race along the coastal path and except for a few smallish hills that go over the railway line it's flat as a pancake. Mind you one of those hills is just before the 26 mile mark so there's a real risk of getting beached . At least it's then downhill all the way to the finish. 

No running for me today. I have made my shopping list for the carbo load. Looking forward to taking on the food mountain. I hope I don't bin out this time.

Edited: 17/04/2013 at 11:03
17/04/2013 at 15:53

DS2 - Legs not too bad thanks and feet absolutely fine! Can say with pride all toenails intact. Apart from the middle one on the right foot which doesn't count ...! Still will be planning to run Boston next year if I can.

How's the Halstead training going?

Malcs - Good luck with the Great Welsh marathon! That seems to come round quickly!!

17/04/2013 at 16:02

RRR - feeling a bit flat with my training to be honest. I'm jealous of you lot having done paris and the others all doing VLM this Sunday. Also, I seem to have developed tightness in both of my calves. I'm due to do a track session tonight but might give it a miss and spin on the bike facing the garage wall instead.

In need of some motivation I think. One of the problems of doing a spring marathon in May. Hopefully next year I'll be running in April and I will feel in line with others.

17/04/2013 at 19:18

Evening all, my computer is playing up, or is it the web, each time I've written a post it vanishes before I hit submit!! this is my third day of trying.

17/04/2013 at 19:29

Noooooo it did it again!!!!! and i'd written a long post! messages to everyone!!!!!!!!

17/04/2013 at 20:09

Nothing better in marathon training than carb loading Malcs. The marathon sounds like it could be a good un. 

I'm currently on post run slump like RRR I expect! Bored and have been trawling for events to do,

Think I need a 10k to try and get a pb at.

17/04/2013 at 20:34

Jen - that's a bummer. It's happened to me before too so now I copy the text before pressing the big button.

DS2 - sorry to hear you're feeling flat. I don't blame you for feeling jealous, I would be too. I felt a similar way the other week when all the Paris posse were racing. Won't be long for you know - keep yer pecker up!

My calves were quite tight earlier in training but a bit of rolling and a massage sorted them out nicely.

Reg - I thought that too but then when I tried it with Ady back in Feb I failed miserably to cope with the volume. Felt like I was inadequate

I plan to improve on my dire performance this time. No pile of pasta is going to get the better of me! Have just cleared the carb department of Sainsburys and I'm all ready to rock.

Any parkruns near you? Your 5K PB might be a nice intermediate goal while you're looking for the next big challenge. I'd quite like to have a bash at getting mine down a bit after this marathon is done.

PS. I have visions of you hiding from the wife in a cupboard under the stairs with a laptop

Edited: 17/04/2013 at 20:35
17/04/2013 at 22:34
Evening all.

I felt the same DS2 and Malcs when it was paris marathon...I felt ready to run then, but now looking back, I dont think I was rested enough, just getting jealous and itchy feet!

I have a half marathon three weeks after VLM to help keep me focused. Im also walking up scafell pike in two weeks on sat.

Glad to hear that your feet and legs arent too angry with you after paris RRR.

It must be so hard for you reg. When I was at a football match on Boxing Day a gentleman had a heart attack in the crowd and looked like he was going to have a cardiac arrest, I couldnt get it out of my mind for about two weeks and im use to dealing with things like that at work. Luckily a month later he was back at the lane and was ok.

Im feeling a bit more positive now about the marathon on sunday. Ive decided to use it to celebrate the lives and limbs lost at Boston..I think they would prefer us to do that looking at their positivity and the way they have come together as a community.
17/04/2013 at 22:37
forgot to say, i dont think im going to struggle this time with carbo loading....I just feel hungry all the time, no matter what I eat, not sure whats wrong with me!
18/04/2013 at 08:23

Morning all!!  I have had marathon envy for a while now! Paris, London, Wales!! I feel completely out of the loop! I'm thinking of doing Chester again in October, Hubby is off for August so shouldnt make the school holidays that hard to train through?!

Sarah and Malcs I know you will do brilliantly, as firstly I know how hard you have both trained and secondly everyone on the forums have been so positive and got good results..... apart from me but that's another rant all together! ]

DS2 as for you buddy! Just think if you weren't doing your marathon in may you wouldn't be about to watch London on the telly on Sunday! You WILL get your GFA and you WILL get into London next year for your birthday bash! I'm not so sure that even with steroids and speed I wouldnt get GFA!

Where about are you Reg?

Right thats my words of wisdom for the morning used up! I have a poorly little girl and have been up half the night so no training for me

18/04/2013 at 10:12

Thanks all - took a rest day yesterday and feel much better today. Being so busy with work isn't helping with my motivation. At this rate I'll end up rich but unfit. I think I'd rather be fit!!! I think Mrs DS2 might feel very differently somehow!

Fed up with the windy weather as well. Doesn't make the idea of running hard around the track very appealing. I have my last long run of 20+ to do Sunday but would like to get a speed/tempo session in tonight and a couple of easy days. Then taper starts!!!

I'm so excited about the marathon on Sunday. Good luck sarah, Malcs and anyone else doing one I have forgotten about!

18/04/2013 at 13:38

Tigger - loving the positive talk! Go for Chester or better still see if you can get one of the places they are releasing for York. Myself and Sarah are booked in and DS2 was going to try and get in too. 

To qualify you must have registered on their waiting list by next Monday here:

https://eventdesq.imgstg.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=RegisterAdd1&EventDesqID=1336&OrgID=3918

Places are released on 26th April.

DS2 - are you already on the waiting list? If not make sure you get on it before Monday.

Good to hear you're feeling better today. At least you're busy at work and making money - I'm just busy

Wind is a pain at the moment. Luckily I'm not out much so I don't have to contend with it but I have a few concerns about Sunday running on a coastal path!

Best of luck with the last long run. After that it's plain sailing - madness excepted of course.

Thanks for the good luck wishes and for all the help over the last few months.

I did my last little run today and then had a leg massage. Felt a bit sluggish on the run but after the massage my legs feel great now. 

Tomorrow I will be mostly eating

Edited: 18/04/2013 at 13:38
18/04/2013 at 13:48

Great minds think a like! I have just done it! that would be awesome if we all got in.... humm sure thats been said before on this thread! although you guys would have given up and gone home by the time i'd get in!

Anyone fancy a 50 mile bike ride/race??

18/04/2013 at 13:52

Hi malcs - been meaning to register all week. Will do so this afternoon.

I think taper madness has already caught up with me. I now have, in no particular order - runners knee, tight calves, sore piriformis, dodgy right ankle, the flu, and finally..................................I can't seem to put one foot in front of the other without feeling out of breath.

Actually, I have none of the above but I'm sure you can all understand!!!

18/04/2013 at 15:59
Hi everyone,

Quick visit as in US at the moment and not loads of Internet access... Quite a few flags at half mast around and all over tv so hard to get away from it. Gutted about what happened.

Want to wish you all luck this weekend for Wales and London!!

Back soon to find out how you all got on

Good to see you back Reg! Great result in Brighton - you must be pleased
18/04/2013 at 16:10

Get it sorted DS2!

I feel your pain - or at least I have done at various points over the last few weeks

I just banished my son from the room because he sounded a bit sniffy. Maybe a bit harsh but we're entering that critical period now - not enough time to recover from a bug! He just became collateral damage. I'm sure he'll speak to me again some day.  

Tigger - that's great. It would be fantastic to see you and DS2 there and anyone else who fancies it. Don't worry, we won't be leaving until we see you cross the line!

50 mile bike ride? Hmm, not sure I'm ready to cross over into that world yet. And if you'd said swim then I wouldn't have even bothered to reply

Clive - cheers again, really appreciate the support! Don't fancy York in October do you?

Edited: 18/04/2013 at 16:12
18/04/2013 at 16:19

AAAATTTIIISSSHHHHOOOOO! that ones for you guys!

18/04/2013 at 16:26

DS2 I'm with Malcs! Trial run for your birthday! Get on it register then that's at least a week thinking about getting in rather than aches and pains!

18/04/2013 at 16:35

Malcs - Carb loading tips - you need to grow some love handles first then you should be fine. Mine work lovely.  I am also definatley on here in the cupboard in the evening as I do get some looks but I can manage to get on at work when on conference calls!!!!

We don't have park runs near me, I live near Glastonbury, Somerset, there is the Yeovilton 5k series though so may try that next. 

Green & White Tigger, i'm doing a 54 mile bike ride in May and now have to train for that, what is on your mind?

Clive - Thank you, very happy with Brighton, made all the training worth while. Also a quick thank you for your advice with Headaches post run as it is certainly helping.

Wish I could do York its sounds like it would be brilliant this year, its on my to do list though.

Ooops I'm needed on the call after 34mins!!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.