ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

A great prize & challenge

2,601 to 2,620 of 4,103 messages
22/04/2013 at 14:31

PS. I just noticed I have broken the 1K post barrier! 

22/04/2013 at 14:40

Not sure any of us skinny runners count as average sized any more malcs!

Clive - I'm on waiting list as well but have Abingdon as a back up. Did consider a German option for a while. Problem is that it's Mrs DS2's birthday in October and she always wants to spend it with the kids so going away never easy. A bit difficult to leave the twins at anytime to be honest with the autism issues. A bit unfair on others to be responsible for them.

I feel really motivated today. I think it helped getting the last LSR out of the way on Saturday (apart from 18 this coming weekend) and seeing how well others have done by believing in the training and sticking to game plans has made me feel better. It looks like the weather for Halstead is expected to be about 16 degrees which is cooler than last two years. Still a bit warm but at least I have 3 weeks to acclimatise!

22/04/2013 at 14:53

1k posts Malcs, you need a TV.

Clive sounds like you had upper class with pillows chucked in for free!

DS2 - As I have not been on for a while, when is Halstead and what is the aim?

22/04/2013 at 14:55

I declare myself officially in taper madness mode. I keep checking every long range weather forecast I can get my hands on and believing that it won't change over the next 3 weeks!!!

To make matters worse if it shows as cloudy I keep convincing myself that is the only conditions I can run in!

Oh dear!

22/04/2013 at 15:49

DS2 - Ha You are officially losing it. Taper madness is hitting you hard. As a recent sufferer of this debilitating disease you have my deepest sympathies.

Reg - good point! Either that or a more dominant wife 

23/04/2013 at 09:41

Thought I'd write a little race report:  

Let's start with the bad - Saturday was a nightmare. I was a complete nervous wreck. I couldn't do anything. I had to lie down for an hour at one point because I felt so ill. I have never felt so sick with nerves before any event in my life before (that includes the day before Katy Grainger's 9th birthday party when there were rumours that we'd be playing Postman's Knock).  

Thankfully, a day on the adrenaline completely knackered me out and I slept like a log. Conditions were perfect - nice and cool, cold even at the start. Actually had me questioning if I needed an extra layer.   

There was an impeccably observed minutes silence at the start for Boston and then we were off. First four miles were great - kept pretty much on pace. At mile 5 I got talking to a guy who was also aiming for 8mm pace so we decided to stick together and help each other along. Having done this with Ady at Spitfire I knew how much of a benefit this can be. pace slipped a little above 8mm but I wasn't too concerned.  

At mile 9 we hit a 2 mile freakin' wind tunnel. Up to now the breeze had been quite pleasant but this hit us like a brick wall. Once we adjusted it wasn't too bad but we were looking forward to the push when we turned to come back. However, bizzarely it dropped like a stone or at least it felt like it did. Maybe it was just because we were running away from it. I will need to dig my physics books out!  

At mile 15 I decided to duck into the bushes for a quick pit stop. I say quick, I was there for a full 40 seconds! Seemed like an eternity. I must have offloaded half a litre of fluid. In true formula one style I was poised ready to withdraw the fuelling hose and get back on the track asap. but I really didn't want to hit the exit lane with my hose dangling out. Luckily my timing was perfect and with a spring in my step that such relief always brings I was able to make up the time and catch up with my running other half again.  

We stuck together until mile 17 but unfortunately my OH was starting to struggle a little. Reluctantly I decided to push on solo. It was a good decision as I found out afterwards that he ended up suffering quite alot later on. I did miss the company though.   Miles 17-22 were great, I really felt good and then I hit the wind tunnel again.

That was tough and my legs were getting a bit sore by then. I passed Jen at 22.5 miles and she gave me a massive lift. I had already seen the ubiquitous Jen about half a dozen times round the course. She was awesome. I'm sure I've seen her several times since too. I reckon she has a tardis or something - she's freakin' everywhere!  

Looking at my watch I knew at this point that sub 3:30 was going to have to wait for another day. However, I wasn't at all disappointed. Quite the opposite in fact. Just seeing that three thirty something was well within my grasp sent shivers down me. It was a great feeling and counterbalanced the pain nicely.   My legs were feeling it now so I tried to take on another jelly baby to give me a boost but my stomach was having none of it. At 24 miles I saw the kids and Mrs Malcs and that gave me another big boost.

They were near to the turn back point so I saw them twice in quick succession which was fantastic. As I knew I was done with fuelling I could also hand over my race belt which freed up a bit of weight as I was carrying way too many sweets as contingency.  

With just a mile and a half to go I knew I just had to hold pace and I was there. I started shouting to runners passing the other way urging them to keep going and stick in there. I think this probably helped me more than it helped them. The faster runners had been doing this around this last section - it was a wonderful show of camaraderie............  

Edited: 23/04/2013 at 09:42
23/04/2013 at 09:43

...................Just before the 26 mile mark I hit the final hill which would have been a struggle but for the one woman support team that is Jen! She very kindly ran with me, dragging me up the hill. Some other fella next to me got dragged along by Jen too and was so grateful. She is clearly a man magnet, albeit sweaty, half dead men.

We reached the peak and over the other side we picked up to 7:30 pace. It was an amazing feeling. My first sprint finish ever (well it felt like a sprint). Crossing the line was just the best. It is now Tuesday and I am still beaming.

23/04/2013 at 10:00

Malcs....little???

23/04/2013 at 10:05

That was a fantastic read malcs! even I'm sat here smiling! Bring on York!

23/04/2013 at 10:07

Great report malcs.

23/04/2013 at 10:20

Cheers Yes, well it's little by RRR's standards!

My only issue about York is, what's Jen doing that weekend? 

23/04/2013 at 11:04

Good Point! probably papping herself as its the week before snowdon!

23/04/2013 at 11:24

So here's my splits. The orange bars are sub 8:05mm, yellow are sub 8:30mm but all were less than 8:20mm pace. Looks like I was up and down a little but had a nice orange patch between 17 and 22. Dipped a little at the end but was speeding up just a little for the last two miles. 

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/448713/gallery/splits.png?width=350

Edited: 23/04/2013 at 11:25
23/04/2013 at 11:26

Just seen the race day vid for Paris is up. Fantastic viewing. Have your tissues handy

23/04/2013 at 11:33

I know I'v just seen it as well! WOW I however would have been in tears are the end! I will definitely be entering next year!!

23/04/2013 at 13:11

I was going to ask who will be entering Target 26.2 next year?

I know RRR got to bootcamp last year and has now gone all the way this time (in style I might add).

Having done my race on Sunday I've been reflecting on Target 26.2 and I have to say that although I didn't make it to the final 5 this has been in no way a winner takes all competition. Aside from the free kit and Paris trip I honestly feel like I've gained almost as much as the winners themselves.

I'm not just saying this because I'm still on a high. Bootcamp was fantastic and without it I would never have met such an enthusiastic and giving bunch of people.

Ok so I lost two whole weeks of my life during the voting phase  but it was well worth it because after the initial disappointment faded I found that by following the other guys, and in particular Ady, I got all the help I needed. I was particularly impressed at how willing the Asics pro team were to help anyone who asked. Sam, Steve, Ruth, Sarah were just brilliant.

On top of that there was the discovery of the forums which has been absolutely brilliant. I've had help from so many people on different threads. DS2 and Minni have become my adopted mentors and have been absolutely immense. Couldn't have done it without them.   And even then there's more. All the mutual support here and on the other competition threads has been just brilliant. I know it will continue too.  

So I kind of feel like I'm already a winner here but then again it would be great to go through the experience one more time .

Think I'll wait until the Autumn to decide.

Edited: 23/04/2013 at 13:13
23/04/2013 at 13:18

Malcs - I'm having an emotional day and you're not helping!!! 

You don't have to win a competition to gain on these forums.  You just have to show a willingness to listen and learn.  You are definitely one of the winners and its so good to see you smash your pb.  Well deserved and you've got every right to beam.

23/04/2013 at 14:16
Malcs - I won't be entering because I will be too young!!!! Don't think I have said that much in recent years!!!

I will be right behind everyone who does though - especially those that post on here!
23/04/2013 at 14:45
Just to clarify - I will still be only 49 on day of Paris but want to run one on the actual day of my 50 th. so 13 April it is and hopefully London. Not much point trying to get to Paris. This year was now or never because the same story couldn't be repeated.

I blame RRR for ruining my life!!!
23/04/2013 at 16:00

Great Report Malcs, loving the description of your Fluid adjustment break!!

As for applying again, I still have dreams of the voting stage and have never felt so unwanted in all my life, don't think I could do that again, only kidding it wasn't that bad. As you have said though you can gain a lot if not most of the support and information from here, there and everywhere.

I think the main reason I haven not been on here regularly is that I wanted to see if I could get the sub 4 myself. I read on another thread that some of the entrants to the comp could get their targets if they ate less pies!

I am now thinking though about how fast I could go in a marathon and am well up for getting the support you describe above

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.