ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

A great prize & challenge

2,661 to 2,680 of 4,103 messages
29/04/2013 at 11:59

I'm in - but it seems I have an extra 5 minutes for GFA qualification so hopefully that will be all I need!!!

Just trying to get someone at VLM to confirm it is based on age on race day. Apparently it always has been - lets hope I get lucky!

29/04/2013 at 12:07

That's great news DS2 - sub 3:20 in two weeks should be very achievable for you. 

First ballot I've missed in 5 years. Doesn't look like I will get to celebrate your birthday run with you now 

29/04/2013 at 12:12

I entered myself and Mrs Reg at 12:30am as have missed out in the past. It is a great race and Mrs Reg would like to do a marathon, this comes after watching some of the units at the back of the Brighton Marathon, and thinking well if they can??!?!?

I don't hold much hope of getting in but you never know. either that or some serious training to get to 3:05, now where are those pies?

29/04/2013 at 12:18

Great stuff DS2.

You were well on the ball Reg with your entry......I entered the ballot just after getting in to work this morning. I think if I'd left it any later I'd have been unlucky. I can't believe how quickly it has filled up!

Disappointed to hear you weren't able to get in to the ballet Malcs. Is running for a charity out of the equation? Nothing against charity, but the times I've ran London for charity I've spent more time trying to raise the money than actual training for the race.

29/04/2013 at 12:22

Ady - Set the alarm for 12:05am is that sad?

I thought that exactly, I ran for Scope two years ago and was more stressed about raising funds than the training.  If I don't get into London I definately want to do another marathon next Spring so will be on the lookout for options. Paris?

29/04/2013 at 12:27

Good stuff Reg.

Malcs - I was thinking the same about charity. But, also, know what Ady is saying!

29/04/2013 at 12:32

Just called VLM and they have confirmed that Sub 3:20 will get me in.

All I have to do now...............................

29/04/2013 at 12:36
Shady_Ady wrote (see)

Disappointed to hear you weren't able to get in to the ballet Malcs. Is running for a charity out of the equation? Nothing against charity, but the times I've ran London for charity I've spent more time trying to raise the money than actual training for the race.

Nice typo - "ballet" I would have no problem with, I have ideal legs for it 

I had a charity place in 2009 and then my friend's son fell ill the year later and although all charites are worthy causes I couldn't possibly run for anyone else now. 

I'm not too gutted. I got in via the ballot in 2011 and 2012 so I think I've had my fair share of luck with London entry. At least I won't be sitting nervously by the letterbox in October now

Impressed with your dedication Reg - I didn't know it opened at midnight. I would have been there at 9am at the earliest. 

Well done to everyone who was organised enough to throw their hat in the ring.

Edited: 29/04/2013 at 12:37
29/04/2013 at 12:39

DS2 - that's fantastic!

Not so bad news for me either I only have 8 years to work towards sub 3:20. I just need my improvement to increase at a greater rate than my body is decaying LOL 

29/04/2013 at 15:10

Hey just back from hospoital off to school But I got in the ballot! mind you at 00.20 this morning I bloody well should do!!  Back later x

29/04/2013 at 16:09

Blimey G&W Tigger that's earlier than me!

On a separate note I wonder whether the moderator of this thread needs to be aware that I no longer run in Asics. Bought some new speedy shoes. Am I going to be forced to a new group?

30/04/2013 at 10:43

Last long run out of the way this morning - two days late. Went out in a vest at 6:15am - a little cold for the first mile or so but thereafter lovely on top of the downs (once I'd climbed for 4 miles).

First run since 25th so felt quite fresh and ran a bit too hard really. 17.25 miles at 7:43mm with 7 in the middle at inside 7:30 pace.

Feel pretty good. I think this achieving GFA is going to be mostly mental. I'm glad I have someone to run with now. As Malcs and Ady have said it really makes a difference. 12 days to go.

How is everyone else doing? All back at the coal face?

30/04/2013 at 12:21

Tigger - well done on getting in the ballot. I really hope you all make it through. It should be weighted based on how late you stayed up

Reg - you're a gonner mate. Once word gets out you've jumped brands your name will be mud. Get down to your running shop and change them immediately. 

PS. I now use Saucony 

DS2 - wow, nice pace! Now it's freakin' 12 days to go so stop running so damn far so damn fast! Make a mental note that you can in fact run more than a few yards at a stagger and write it down so that you can show yourself when you lose your marbles in the last week. From now on it's easy stuff only. Doctors orders. Or I'm sending Reg round!

Edited: 30/04/2013 at 12:22
30/04/2013 at 12:51

Sorry for my absence. I have a drs paper!

I was mega organised n set my alarm extra early yesterday morning, so I too am in the DS2 birthday ballot!

I've been running a few times now with people from the club, they are a lovely group. I think I am going to get dragged into lots of fun events! Minni is right, it looks a lot scarier from the outside.

30/04/2013 at 12:54

Afternoon everyone,

sorry for absence over weekend but spent it all standing on cold windy playing fields watching respective sons play rugby and football...Lost the feeling in my fingers so couldn't even play on my iphone.

Got a place in the ballot for VLM- entered at 6am as soon as I got up. My wife was suspicious that I leapt out of bed to grab the phone!

after the disappointment of York, think I am going to enter Cologne on October 6- as you  run by the Ouse I'll be by the Rhein. Can get flights from UK for about £80 so overall wouldn't cost me much more than if I say went to Abingdon? Anyone care to join me?

DS- you are grinding out the miles at that pace! Sure the GFA will be achievable. Would be great to run for your birthday next year.

Sneaked out for a quick 5 miler this morning before a meeting- it was video conferenced so when I got back got lots of abuse about looking bright red in the face!

30/04/2013 at 13:43

I don't talk to anybody not wearing Asics!!!!!!!

I know what you are saying though Malcs - it's like I have to keep proving to myself I can run!

That 17 miles worked out only 6 secs/mile slower than the pace I need to run at to get my GFA - what an idiot!!!

30/04/2013 at 13:49
Reg - you're a gonner mate. Once word gets out you've jumped brands your name will be mud. Get down to your running shop and change them immediately. 

PS. I now use Saucony 

DS2 - wow, nice pace! Now it's freakin' 12 days to go so stop running so damn far so damn fast! Make a mental note that you can in fact run more than a few yards at a stagger and write it down so that you can show yourself when you lose your marbles in the last week. From now on it's easy stuff only. Doctors orders. Or I'm sending Reg round!

Me to Malcs, gone and bought some Kinvara which apparently make me a faster runner, leaner and meaner!!! Well thats how I imagine myself.

DS2 - Malcs is right, I will be round and sit on you or make you run at my pace if you do too much.  #TaperInforcement . If only I used twitter like this!

30/04/2013 at 13:59

Sorry to miss your comments Clive. I compiled that before I went to lunch and hadn't submitted!

Mrs DS2 not too happy about me doing Abo on her birthday weekend so may think of an alternative Clive. I wouldn't mind keeping the cost down either. Eldest daughter likely to be wanting a car at that point! I'm surprised at that cost. I will take a look but would be great to catch up out there, having never visited Germany!

Your comment about your wife made me laugh. I did the same!

30/04/2013 at 14:22

Me to Reg - I have heard good things about them. I'm in the Mirage - bought 3 pairs on the cheap. Up to getting them I had all sorts of achilles pain - now zero.

You do know that if you ALL get into London then I'll have to run sub 3:15 in York! 

30/04/2013 at 16:28

It has to be done malcs! Having knocked 26 minutes off your PB two weeks ago then another 17 should be a doddle!!!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.