ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

A great prize & challenge

261 to 280 of 4,103 messages
21/11/2012 at 18:27
thanks Becky. I 'll fly the flag for 'vets'
now I really need to get a picture sorted for my posts!
21/11/2012 at 19:02

Yeah, one day I must get around to that too.  Not right now though.

mcs
22/11/2012 at 13:10

If you are off to Bootcamp all the best I enjoyed it last year. When it comes to the time trials make sure you finish in the top four and you will get through. Well thats how it worked last year. I came second in my group and got through to the vote. DONT post loads of vote pleas like I did or you will annoy folk. Just one. RW and Asics dont give you any guidance on posting so be careful. There are alot of cynics and its a free world and you may get abuse so be careful what you say. ALL the best enjoy Friday its fun and get involved.

22/11/2012 at 13:36

As a long, long-term lurker, I thought I would step out of the shadows to say hello as I have also been told that I've got a place at Bootcamp.

I feel a lot more prepared for it after reading this thread (even though it did little for my productivity at work this morning), so thank you all very much! Posts on these forums have probably had more impact on my running than anything else so it's about time I tried to contribute something in return.

Looking forward to getting stuck in and meeting some interesting people next Friday! 

22/11/2012 at 14:39

Thanks for the tips mcs. Time trials? Now you've made me nervous!

Well done Steve! See you in a week.

Edited: 22/11/2012 at 14:40
22/11/2012 at 14:46

I'm going to bootcamp too!! Wooo-ooo-oo! (waves!)

I'll try to leave some jaffa cakes for the rest of you at the lunchtime spread  !

22/11/2012 at 14:53

RunnyRunRun you can have mine... I prefer a fig roll!

(sorry for anyone who can't remember the advert! It was a favorite of mine!!)

22/11/2012 at 15:23
seren nos wrote (see)

malcs.i think its great that it brings in lurkers and new people .and great that you join in........

i wouldn't expect all the people to be selected to be already busy on the forum........but when you have been selected it makes sense to start to get used to posting on the forums.you will have your own busy thread and people like to see what kind of character you have.....

my problem was that one of the shortlisted did not make a single post........how on earth could they tink they could contribute to a thread if they couldn't even be bothered to do a hello post

I wouldn't be surprised if they saw some of the hugely negative responses that the other posters had received and decided they didn't want to do it any more!  Last year was the first time that I followed the selection process and all the 'Vote for Me' threads and I was quite surprised at some of the posts, especially when the actual training threads are really positive.

Good luck to everyone through to bootcamp! Enjoy the experience and look forward to reading about how you all got on

22/11/2012 at 15:26

Not long to go folks - hope those going to boot camp are starting to get a bit excitey!  Please remember first and foremost to just enjoy it - chances are that you won't be able to influence the outcome so get everything you can out of the day whilst you're there!

Can't wait - to hear how you all get on!

Someone have a jaffa cake for me

22/11/2012 at 15:33

SB - I will most definitely have a jaffa cake for you - in fact I think I will have as many as I can hold. LOVE jaffa cakes! In fact I am considering taking fig rolls to hold B&WT off of the jaffa cakes!

Thanks xine267. Am just hoping to get as much out of it as possible! I'm counting getting this far as a win ... any more is a bonus!

22/11/2012 at 15:43

Thanks, xine and Sleepy Bear – sounds like we'll need fairly thick skins if we get past this stage, but regardless of the result I bet it will be a great experience!

I'm going to pay a visit to my local Parkrun on Saturday to try and remind my legs what running at any kind of pace is like.

22/11/2012 at 17:07

My pleasure, don't worry about the forum response. We like to think they are the most important aspect of RW and forget that Asics 26.2 Competition is advertised to thousands of people who have never heard of or used the forums before!

BTW - If you feel like someone is deliberately flaming you or using your thread just to have a bitch about the entire competition, then use the "Ignore" button (it comes up if you hover over the photo next to their name). I've found it very useful

seren nos    pirate
22/11/2012 at 17:31

xine ...........I always ask an awkward question on the chosen ones threads as i like to see how they answer....shows some more of their personality .....

some of the actually threads have been very heated.the one where the person was obviously put well out of their depth...and not  their own fault..had a lot of questions for the mentor and the person about their suitability for the task in question and as to whether it was in their best interests to push on at that aim..that was the year before last........

seren nos    pirate
22/11/2012 at 17:33

Part of the competition entry states that you will have to be happy to use the forum and interact..........so the quicker you fit in an learn how to ignore the obvious trolls and interact with the majority is for the best

22/11/2012 at 17:54

Posting wise - my advice would be just to be yourself - you may offend some unintentionally and others won't necessarily see your point - but others may "get" you just as you are!  You might as well enjoy the process as much as you can and just be honest.  That's what I'll be looking out for.

I personally don't care who you are, why you run or how good your spelling and grammar are. I simply want to support those who I think are going to enjoy the training and the race, those who show some humour and enthusiasm, and who are going to inspire me to want to put the same effort in.  That is after all why we all run isn't it? To feel good...

Please refrain from any Victoria Pendleton rollercoaster emotions - I just can't cope with all that

22/11/2012 at 18:27

Great news for all those selected. We are very fortunate to have this opportunity and I'm determined to enjoy every minute.

There isn't a great deal we can do to influence either our performance on the day or what people may think of us. I thought about injecting some pace into my training this week - but it doesn't make any sense and I'll risk getting injured. They are very experienced coaches and will understand that we are in base building mode and that speed will come later. I don't believe any one aspect will be the selection criteria as long as we show enough to make them feel we could meet the goals and meet the spirit of the T&C's.

I don't mind if I get awkward questions. I entered for my own reasons and I'll be true to myself. Of course some people won't get it or, dare I say, be a little jealous. Why shouldn't they be - I think I may have been. No need to be rude though!

For those going, I'm probably going to Birminham the night before because it's too far to travel on the morning. Anyone else going to do that?

22/11/2012 at 19:40

Hey! I am also going to bootcamp and really looking forward to it. Still cannot actually believe that I have been selected. Anyhow DS2 I am getting a very early train in the morning. Hope I don't jinx in some delays! You're probably doing the right thing going the night before.

Fig rolls and jaffa cakes? Guess they might help give some energy when out on the track. Looks like all groups have a track session after lunch which is a shame as I usually make a wee pig of myself at a buffet! Oink! Feel a stitch coming on already..... Any other advice from people who have attended bootcamp before?

seren nos    pirate
22/11/2012 at 19:41

when the shortlist is announced.there is always a lot of debate because out of the 20 or so chosen.only 2 or 3 last year were regulars on the forums....so a lot of regulars get upset and have a go..not at the individuals chosen but at the setups that seems to favour those who havent contributed in the past.........and these debates spill onto your voting threads.

so be prepared that it will probably happen and don't get involved and its not personal...........this will soon pass over....it happens every year

I believe that these competitions are here to bring in new people and if you have too many established posters then lurkers might not feel so happy to jump in and join the threads.........

22/11/2012 at 19:50

Totally agree DS2.

I think I'll have to travel up on Thursday too as I'm coming from London. M25, M40, Birmingham on a Friday morning? Probably quicker running it

Despite all the talk of flames, trolls and heated exchanges, I'm still on a high just to be heading to bootcamp. I never win anything. If I pull a Christmas cracker I always end up on the losing side (there just has to be a technique I'm missing!)  So I'm just elated to have made it this far.

22/11/2012 at 19:56
Malcs - I'm in Kent so similar issue. I looked at hotels today. Plenty in the area and I also asked RW if view could recommend. I'll let you know tomorrow when I look closer what looks good.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.