ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

A great prize & challenge

2,781 to 2,800 of 4,088 messages
12/05/2013 at 14:50

DS2 - so, so pleased for you! That is brilliant news. Birthday bash booked then!

12/05/2013 at 16:03

Thanks everyone. Minni - your comment made me laugh! It was exactly the same as my wife!

12/05/2013 at 17:42

Haha DS! She'll be more relieved than any!  Can't wait to hear more details about the race. How did the manflu feel?  And very much looking forward to seeing you in the Forum Arms, The Chandos, next April. 

12/05/2013 at 18:05

Me too Minni. Will be a big celebration being my 50th. The Chandos used to be my Friday night pub when I worked in London many years ago!

i felt pretty rough most of the day but I think it played into my hands and I ran very even pacing with no heroics. I was sweating far more than normal but legs were strong and I never got passed by anyone all day and was overtaking continually.

I will report fully on the 3:15 thread!

Edited: 12/05/2013 at 18:07
12/05/2013 at 18:09

Ah, so could have tried harder...?!!! 

12/05/2013 at 19:07

Ha ha! I am sitting here wondering that! 

12/05/2013 at 19:33

C'mon Minni, he did have man flu. Having suffered from this most crippling of diseases myself I know that it can bring even the hardest of the hard to their knees. In many ways it's a wonder he had the strength to stand.

DS2 I salute you!

PS my previous statement could be misinterpreted. For clarity I am in no way claiming to be the hardest of the hard. Great wet lettuce would be a more approprioate description.

12/05/2013 at 19:55

I'm beginning to believe there was nothing wrong with me other than a weak mind and an element of taper madness!

Luckily Minni stepped in with some choice words to make me man up! 

12/05/2013 at 19:59

Ha

I was amazed how bad I felt the day before mine. I wasn't kidding when I said I felt like death. All completely down to the mind talking over the body. Quite scary how it can do that. 

Have you had your ice bath yet? 

12/05/2013 at 20:02

No I haven't! My legs have never felt so good after a marathon to be honest. I obviously didn't try hard enough

12/05/2013 at 20:04

I felt like that after London and by the Tuesday it was as if I'd been run over by a tractor! 

12/05/2013 at 21:01

I remember you saying. I have a massage booked for Wednesday so hopefully that will help. I had one last Wednesday and for the first time all year I ran without pain in my glutes.

I will do more of these I think.

12/05/2013 at 21:03
DS2 wrote (see)

Ok, so to the report:

Things hadn't been too clever in the proceeding couple of days. Noticed on Friday a sore throat developing and decided to run after work to see how it felt. Result - not too clever! Was burning up on a slowish 3.2 miler and wheezing noticeably. I did run the last mile or so at PMP and it didn't feel any worse, but............

Saturday was far worse and I really would have pulled out if it hadn't been for the fact I'd been sponsored to the tune of £600 already and Minni gave me a pep talk on another thread (you know the one guys - it's manflu, just Fecking do it!!!). Obviously, she put it nicer than that, but need I say more. So decision made I set off to Halstead at 7amm after taking some Lemsip and nurofen and the obligatory porridge!

I met up with the lady I intended to run with who was hoping to creep inside her PB of 3:19. Kit on and ready to go. Down to the start and a minutes silence for Boston followed by a round of applause. I used this to focus on what I was there to do.

Then we were off. First mile is steeply down followed by very steeply up (steepest on the course). I intended to run between 7:30 and 7:35mm depending on hills. Through the first mile in 7:36 but already sweating far too much - this could be hard work!

Settled down and next couple were in 7:30 and 7:29 but still sweating profusely. Next one was 7:27 and starting to feel better but my friend was struggling with stomach cramps  (she'd been ill for VLM and perhaps not recovered as she thought).  The following miles were 7:34, 7;44, 7:39 and 7:39 and Debbie was struggling. This was all into a pretty strong wind so I wasn't unduly worried. I wanted company for as long as possible so hung about hoping she would feel better but she was clearly struggling and telling me to push on. I resisted for a bit but realised I needed to when the next one came out at 7:51!

Mile 10 was a little quicker in 7:44 but still off the pace and went through 10 in 76:15 which was 45 seconds slower than I intended. I pushed on. It was surprising how hard it was to pick the pace back up but the next 3 miles were 7:32, 7:35 and 7:37 but had some hills. I went through halfway in 1:40:04 and realised I had to push on if I was to get inside 3:20.

I kept thinking about all the advice I'd received on here and the fantastic performances in recent marathons and how people dug in when it got tough. It helped immensely.

The next f miles got me back on track as they came in at 7:26, 7:31, 7:22, 7:33 & 7:34. I was struggling up a long climb in the middle of this when I caught and passed a guy pulling (and his mate pushing)an Aga!!!!! It really picked me up - I felt truly inspired. The road surface at times is pretty dreadful in the country lanes and finding good footing for your feet was hard enough. How they got it around the course I do not know!

I always hate these miles 18-22  but I thought if I could keep the miles at this pace I would give myself a fighting chance. I was working hard but controlled. The four up to 22 were slowish though in 7:39, 7:39, 7:41 and 7:40 but amazingly consistent considering the hilly nature of the course.

Now I felt Sub 3;20 was on. Again I thought about all those recent marathons completed by those on this thread. I was passing people regularly and no-one was passing me and I took heart from this and my legs felt the best they had felt all day.

Mile 23 was 7:27 and mile 24 was 7:29. Still feeling good and overtook third placed lady in mile 25 which I completed in 7:34. I knew I had 10 minutes from the 25 mile marker and knew I just had to keep ru

12/05/2013 at 21:04
DS2 wrote (see)

Half a mile of uneven grass which starts with a really steep quarter mile. It really affected my legs for the first time all day they felt tired and I contemplated walking. Luckily I had been racing with a guy for the past 3 or 4 miles who had been hanging on to me after I passed him in mile 23 and he was having the same issues. We encouraged each other briefly and the next quarter mile felt so tough as he went past me. I knew I had to hang in there and stayed a yard behind him until we hit the tarmac again when I went back in front. I was really struggling through mile 26 but completed it in 7:34 which surprised me and then I just hung on to cross the line in 3:19:05 (official chip time).

This was 25 minutes quicker than last year. It is a tough course for sure. It was won in 2:43 and I came in in 49th of the 504 finishers. The last time I ran quicker than that I wasn't even 30, so I'm pretty pleased and relieved.

I now have Abingdon to look forward to and like the guys above realise I need to run my faster sessions faster if I'm going to improve.

12/05/2013 at 23:01

Great report DS.  It sounds like you could have gone faster - just the way you want to finish. 

12/05/2013 at 23:06

Great stuff ds the run and report. 

12/05/2013 at 23:10

Although I would love to do a 7:51 mm in a marathon! 

12/05/2013 at 23:20

Fantastic race report DS2...I felt like I was running it with you, I was so excited as I read along, even though I knew you had made it in under 3:20. So glad that the man flu didnt amount to anything, i was quite worried on friday when I read your message.

The race you did sounds all hills and extremly tough, just think what you will get in London next year .

My legs felt great after london marathon, and havent really stopped me from doing anything, fingers crossed your will be the same and no tractor will come to run them over tomorrow or tuesday, like they did Minni.

Malcs any chance of bringing some of that cake to TR24 

We now have 8 members in our team for TR24...a full team! Need to work out how much we all owe you Malcs?

Tigger how did your race go today?

I managed to get a new HM PB of 1:31:12 today at sheffield half so im happy. I went in to the race with a few to many negative thoughts so im over the moon with my time, as I know how much the mind can play tricks on you!!

12/05/2013 at 23:28

That's another great run Sarah. You have had an amazing run of results since finding Minni as a mentor. I think it's time you joined the Sub 3:15 thread. 

Looking forward to the report.

Reg - once you start running sub 3:45 you'll soon start seeing sub 8mm as possible. Just ask Malcs and Ady

12/05/2013 at 23:29

Tigger - where are you?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.