ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

A great prize & challenge

2,801 to 2,820 of 4,090 messages
12/05/2013 at 23:33

Sarah - that's a brilliant time today. You must feel very happy. Without a doubt you'll be sub 3:15 later in the year.

DS - Sarah's great performances are not really anything to do with me. She was already a really good runner and she just followed the schedule and got even better. 

12/05/2013 at 23:38

I really think having a mentor can make a huge difference Minni. You two have been well suited. I know Sarah has done all the hard work but I'm sure she would be the first to say your input has made a difference. Confidence wise if nothing else!

13/05/2013 at 08:20

WELL DONE DS2!!!  I so please for you!! but then I always knew you would get it!!!

New PB for both you and Sarah that's just Brilliant!!

I on the other hand kinda let the side down! I was on for a PB or close as dammit when my knee died on me at nearly 12 miles, I don't know what Ive done, when I initially stopped I could only walk on it a few strides before the pain was too much, then managed to walk to the finish with a straight leg! I wallowed in self pity and pigged out on Jelly babies! I did however finish and it was the LONGEST it has ever taken me to finish a Half and It was a first for getting injured in a race! and I got a t shirt thats too big so its not all bad!!

13/05/2013 at 20:29

DS2 - Superb report! I was trying to add up your splits as I was reading it. Sounds like you were having a bit of a tug of war trying to keep your average pace down. I was quite nervous by the end even though I already knew the result!

I agree totally about the mentors. I didn't have any allocated to me so I chose to nick yourself and Minni whether you liked it or not   I can say without doubt that it helped me massively. Be prepared to be nicked again come the summer when training proper kicks in! You have been warned so if you need to find somewhere to hide do it now

Tigger - sorry to hear things didn't go to plan. That is the worst luck getting injured in a race. How is it now? Have you iced and have you seen anyone about it yet?

Sarah - I'm sure Mrs Malcs can be persuadad to bring something to feed the troops!

Well done on your HM PB! Creeping ever nearer to that sub 1:30. I suspect it won't be long until you sneak in there.

14/05/2013 at 08:14

Tigger - sorry to hear that, but it sounds like you were going really well before the injury, so take all the positives from that because you must be in good shape - and I loved the comment about the T-shirt being too big. It made me laugh

Malcs - I think I was really in the zone this year because I could remember it clearly!

The mentor thing is really important, I think. I was just saying on the 3;15 thread that I had no recent experience of running at that pace for a marathon and had to trust in the advice of others and in the training. I think if I hadn't been part of these threads I would have lost confidence and set off for a slower time.

Probably, the most important thing is to know people are rooting for you. I thought a lot during my run about the marathons completed by you, Ady, Sarah, Reg etc and it really helped!

14/05/2013 at 13:40

Hey guys, long time no speak! Sorry for the lack of posts... Been finding it pretty bit tough to read/talk about so much running when I've not been able to!!

But no time to feel sorry for myself Promise I'll check in a lot more regularly...

So how has everyone been getting on?

14/05/2013 at 14:11

Steveo - really nice to hear from you! Your absence is completely understandable. I think we all know what it feels like when you can't get out there. 

What's the latest on the knee? 

14/05/2013 at 16:03

DS2 if my comment about the T Shirt make you laugh you will love this.... I showed my 9 year old the T shirt which she said she liked, I said shame its too big and her comment.... never mind you'll grow into it!!

I feel a total fraud... what ever I did to my knee..... it doesnt hurt at all anymore! the other leg aches from walking like a peg leg! still going to leave out the running until next week, and not hitting the pool until Thursday!

Bacon my smoked buddy!!  (definitely prefer smoked to unsmoked!) hows tricks?

14/05/2013 at 17:53

Hi everyone! Deepest apologies...I've missed you all!!!

It's taken me a while to read back, but I think I'm up to date now with all the great running! 

I have kept up with my running, but done most without a watch, just taken the pressure off myself and run to enjoy. However, I promise to get back on track this week

15/05/2013 at 14:11

DS2 I kept thinking about going on the 3:15 thread butthen I kept on getting in to a panic about it taking me weeks to read through all the tread and pick up some good advice. I also couldnt find it when I last looked....although I know it must still be there. Im determined to get 3:14 at York so I need all the help I can get. Minni was great, I really think if it wasnt for her mentoring me I wouldnt have done aswell in london or now. She has taught me to train so much more smarter and wiser. I just need to find another Minni for Autumn!! I havedone a race report for sheffield on my thread last night but its all pretty miserable, I could copy it on to here if you like?

Minni, thankyou, im over the moon with my half time. I didnt feel my best but I expected not to. Just so happy to still be improving, although I know that it wont be long before I hit a wall and I need to change my training to further improve. You helped me no end with my training and I cant thankyou enough. Your input has made such a huge difference to my times, confidence and fitness. Im coming up to newcastle on the 22nd of June to watch the althletics. I cant make the park run as we will be at the althletics on the saturday but I was wondering if your free on the sunday at all if you would like to meet up (although I may be a little hungover as we are out in newcastle on a leaving party on the sat night)?

Tigger was so sorry to hear about your knee. Just so glad that its ok again now. Your comment about the t shirt and then later your daughters comment had me in hysterics, bless her. Well done for still finishing the race despite your knee.

Malcs just need to run 9 secs/mile quicker and then I will bag myself a sub 1:30...sounds easy on paper, but I bet its not! Is Mrs Malcs coming with you to TR?

15/05/2013 at 14:12

Hi Jen ive taken to trying to not look at my watch now when im running and to run with how I feel instead...feels far more comfortable and enjoyable...and I seem to run quicker!

15/05/2013 at 14:21

Managed to get a new 10k PB last night...was a pleasant surprise as I thought I would take it steady after having tired legs on sunday. I started the race in the middle of the pack so I wouldnt be tempted to try and run with the faster people upfront. I looked at my watch near the beginning of the race and saw I was running at 7m/m. Felt quite comortable so I decided that I would be happy with running it all at that pace, if I could. I didnt look at my watch again until 9k and just ran with how I felt, running neck and neck with another female runner. At 9k I was shocked to see that my average pace was now 6:42 which I managed to continue at until the end of the race. One hill near the end near had me, but apart from that I felt great and got a new 10k PB of 41:33.

Legs hurt in bed last night and kept me awake for alot of the night, but today they feel surprisingly ok again.

15/05/2013 at 14:31

As you all know im planning on doing the national three peaks at the end of June. I have decided to do it to raise money for the epilepsy society, mainly due to the problems that my mum has been having since she developed epilepsy.

I have just set up a page on virgin money (although I do still need to add some photos).

I thought I would put the link up on here just incase anyone would like to sponsor me. I dont want anyone feeling pressurised into it so I wont be offended if you would rather not as I know that a lot of you are already sponsoring others at this time. I just thought, if you dont ask you dont get,

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/SarahAttwood

Thankyou

(forgot to say, if you didnt already know, my married name is attwood, maiden name osborne)

15/05/2013 at 19:16

Inspired by the continued, unabated success of the pocket rocket I thought it was time I ventured out. Did 4 miles. Was meant to be easy but felt far better than I Thought I would So got a bit carried away running 8mm average. Lovely to be running again!

Sarah - that is another incredible performance! I don't think I could do 10k that quickly. Honestly, as long as you're careful I'm certain you can go sub 3:15 at York. I'm absolutely loving hearing about your runs!

And of course I will be sponsoring you - a great cause!

Tigger - how is that knee? Be careful it isn't the early stage of runners knee.

15/05/2013 at 19:58

DS2 - OH NO YOU GOT ME ALL WORRIED NOW!!

My knee is fine! well doesn't hurt! thought I would still leave it a couple of weeks just in case, although I'm not very good at not being able to run!

15/05/2013 at 20:08

I had been having trouble with my knee but when I went for my massage I was told off for not stretching my quads after running. Been stretching everyday since and guess what? No pain. My marathon was the first time I've been pain free in weeks!

might be worth a bit of stretching! Two weeks without running - no!!!!!!!

15/05/2013 at 21:07

evening all

SarahI. good luck with three peaks. Ive often fancied it but I dont work well without sleep! I will check out your page later.btw  did you ever get recovery skins? I sleep in mine n they are brill.

hmmm stretching! Yes DS.I def notice the difference if I dont aswell. I  also think my strength training with heavy wts helps too. Tigger- get lifting n stretching!

You lot are all really speedy now..I feel a real slowcoach. Ive decided speed is not my strong point, so Im going for distance! look out ultra! My next race though is a relay Im doing with the running club. north to south wales! lol I hope I get given a downhill leg!

15/05/2013 at 22:42

Speed is all relative Jen. compared to Mo Farah I am a snail, but no less a runner! We only compete with ourselves unless really at the sharp end.

We are all blessed differently with such things as genetics, ability to hurt ourselves, busy lifestyles. Being the best we can be individually is very important but enjoying it and being fit and healthy are the best reasons for us ordinary folk to run.

Well, that's my view. Happy running!

16/05/2013 at 10:00

Morning!!

Sorry I haven't been on much ... haven't been doing much at all - not much running or blogging. Just lazing around mainly - it's been BRILLIANT!!

DS2 !! What a fab new PB - and 25 ins quicker than last year?! Wow wow wow!! Loved the report too! Sounded like a really tough marathon and you came in 49th! That's fab!!

Oh my goodness Sarah!! You are SO quick now!! You're really knocking the PBs in!! Sub 3:15 is going to be no problem ... you won't mind if people compare you to your Dad then

Hi Tigger!! Glad knee is feeling a bit better!! Although I'd be happy to WALK a couple of laps with you at TR24 if it comes to it!

16/05/2013 at 14:20

Thanks DS2 Im having a quiet week or two now to try to reduce the risk of injury. I went to the gym last night and actually went on the bike for a change as the slow 9m/m recovery run just didnt seem right on the knees. Did actaully enjoy going on the bike for a change. Will be rest day for me today (im being treat to a 3 course meal at the nursing home that I look after...its with the staff rather than the residents, has some sort of theme but I dont recall what it is). Thankyou for sponsoring me.

Tigger...a 2 week rest from running...good luck. Thats fantastic news about finding an 8th runner for the team. Still need to think up of a name....anyone have any suggestions for a TR24 name for us????

Hi Jen north to south wales sounds like a challenging relay. How far are the individual sections? I agree with you, I think the strength training and stretching work wonders. I always wear my skins now after a long or fast run and I do think they have speeded up my recovery. I have only slept in them once, but woke up too hot. Ive slept in my compression socks a few times though. Im looking forward to the three peaks, but im worried abit about coming down them, as my knee was stiff for a couple of days after coming down scafell. Least I can see what it will be like after coming down snowdon this weekend to see whether I need to worry or not.

Hi Sarah, have you enjoyed the break as much as the marathon training? Do you have an autumn marathon planned and are you doing VLM next year?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.