ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

A great prize & challenge

2,861 to 2,880 of 4,103 messages
22/05/2013 at 08:24

Hey Malcs - good to hear from you. Have you managed any running this past couple of weeks?

A nice steady 5 at 7:42mm this morning. Felt very comfortable. Beginning to focus on October marathon now. It looks like a number of us will be running very similar times. I'm expecting Sarah to take over my mantle as fastest on this thread - if not one or two others! I shall do my best to stay up there and finding that very motivating!

tigger - how is your daughter?

22/05/2013 at 21:17

Hey Malcs, hope work settling down for you.

DS, love the thought of 7.42 as steady   I ran this eve with club n got dragged sub 8.00 for a mile! I was dying, and I ache now.

22/05/2013 at 21:24

RRR look out for them new forest ponies, they are evil!

Sarah, who does the driving for your challenge? do you think you'll catch some sleep en route? Look forward to seeing photos.

Tigger, what's the update on your daughter?

Reg,Clive, Steve, anyone else out there. **wave**

22/05/2013 at 21:25

Jen - how cool is it to see a mile showing as completed in 7:xx. I always get a kick out of running a quicker than normal mile.

it's meant to hurt - that's how we get fitter. Nice going! Next week 2 miles at sub 8 and so on!!!

22/05/2013 at 21:34

I I did feel a little thrill looking at my watch!  never seen a 7 before!

22/05/2013 at 22:42

Make it a habit now Jen! 

22/05/2013 at 23:26

Haha, I love it jen. We have my friends father driving for us and then there are two other members of the club helping if needs be. They are not going to do all three mountains just one or two. My friends dad needs a hip replacement so isnt very active at the moment but he still likes to take part if he can. I will try and sleep whilst they are driving but im not very good at sleeping the best of times and think that I will struggle. On the way to kenya, despite having a reclining chair, ear plugs, alcohol, codiene and it being through the night I didnt catch even one minute.

Malcs you was up at 2:23, OMG you poor thing, I was about to complain about my awfully busy 12.5 hour shift but im not going to bother now! Well done for getting 7.5 miles in.

DS2  I think your safe for the moment...not sure if I wiould call 7:42 min/mls steady for me just yet either!

22/05/2013 at 23:27
I did my first speed/interval session yesterday since london marathon, the aim was km reps after a 2 mile warm up. I decided to run 5 x 1 km @ 6:35 min/mls with 2.5 mins recovery @ 9:13 min/mls, followed by a cool down mile....it was great to be back doing intervals, I loved it, so satisfying. 

Today I just went on the exercise bike for 30 mins after work before they closed the gym...made a nice change and hopefully the (small amount of) cross training will help my running

23/05/2013 at 07:20

Morning Malcs , as we now have a team of 8 for TR24, we are all wondering about when you want the entry fee paying and how much it is?

23/05/2013 at 22:22

Hi all - launch day tomorrow so at least I know there will be an end to my pain. 

Sarah - yes, ended up in bed at 3am on Tuesday. Lay awake for half an hour too as my head was buzzing.

However, last night it was daylight when I eventually made it to bed. Just after 5am. Quick but crap hours sleep or so then up to do the school run. 

Good TR24 training

I still think I have it way easier than you and Clive as this is fairly rare for me. 

Re. TR24 it was 248 + 5.50 admin. I'm happy to have it whenever. If it's easier to wait until the day then that's fine. Otherwise I can email my bank details. 

Right - final push...

PS. great speed sesh btw. I want to do some of those this time round. Not sure I'd make that speed though!

24/05/2013 at 10:35

I am around people, been a bit of a different week. Will update later today.  On a call now

24/05/2013 at 12:27

looking forward to bank holiday weekend. My plans - nothing!!  but I'm sure I'll fit in a few runs. Running club does a breakfast run on bank hol mondays, run followed by breakfast in local hostelry, sounds good!

Hope launch goes well Malcs, and that you get to chill out a bit this weekend.

So is the TR24 the next big race for people?

24/05/2013 at 13:19

Hi Malcs, I hate it when that happens. I use to be like it after my nights and being on call. I recall not sleeping at all after one of my night shifts...3 hours before I was due to  go back into work I started to really panic as I had been awake for over 36 hours and i had an hours journey to work. I ended up calling in saying can I come in late and try and get an hour, with the pressure then off me (when they said yes) I managed to grab an hour before driving in. Luckily I only started my shift 30 mins late.

I think I get it far easier than you as I dont have children to look after too!

Im happy to do what evers easiest for you. I hate owing people money so I would prefer just to give it you now, but if its easier for you to have it on the day, then im sure I can manage to wait a month.

Really enjoyed the speed session, made a refreshing change. Today I did my LSR on the treadmil as it is too cold, wet and windy to run outside. I did 15 miles, with the middle 5 miles at my hopefully october MP (7:24m/m) and the rest slower at 8:20 m/m. I was pretty bored by 1.5 hours..been a while since ive done such a long run on the TM!

jen I love the sound of your breakfast run...maybe I should suggest it to one of my clubs! I have the isle of skye half in june and then it will be TR24 (after the three peaks challenge that is). How about you?

Edited: 24/05/2013 at 13:21
24/05/2013 at 13:50

Sarah - honestly, if you can run like that at this stage you need to target Sub 3:10!!!. I'd say you are ahead of me and I'll be very disappointed if I don't do that!

Malcs - I trust you are now in recovery mode. Have been missing your wit!

Shutting ears and eyes to all talk of TR24!!!

25/05/2013 at 10:49

Just been reading about the Asics teams a exploits in Paris.  Malcs - do you know when Ady is off to SA for Comrades? 

25/05/2013 at 14:05

Ok I'm back!

Launch complete and so far so good. They did find a problem but we can 't reproduce it here. Quite annoying.

Anyway, had a proper nights sleep for the first time in ages. Still feel a bit zonked (yes that is a technical term). Not sure whether to run or not. Sometimes that works to reset the system.

DS2 - Comrades is next weekend I believe . Will need to find out if he's gone yet. 

Jen - thanks. When is your relay? Or has that been? Feels like I've been out of the loop for ages.

Currently my next one is (whispers) TR24 but I'd like to do a short fast one in bewteen if I can find one. Might just settle for the local parkrun.

Sarah - jeez, you are going for it. I was hoping to do 10 last weekend and be up to 12 this weekend but that hasn't happened. I certainly won't be doing 7:24 pace! I need to get my arse into gear or I'll be useless at (whispers again) TR24. 

At least I have the sleep deprivation training complete

25/05/2013 at 14:36

Afternoon all!!  Sorry been off the radar somewhat of late! My baby girl is doing brilliantly I am so proud of her, this week saw us back in hospital Monday and Tuesday then for the rest of the week I had to go in and help at school with various things so she could join in! She has to have xrays every week for now but fingers crossed that won the for too long! 

I have a sports massage this afternoon as my knee is getting worse not better, the guys at our local running shop think it's my IT band. I am so out of the loop with who is doing what I really need to catch up......but no time right now!

Hope everyone is well!  Take care everyone enjoy the bank holiday weekend x

25/05/2013 at 18:56

Tigger - that's great to hear she's doing well. Must be a big relief to know she's on the mend. 

Reg - intrigued as to what your 'different' week was.

25/05/2013 at 22:12

Sorry DS2. If you dont go on your holiday, you could come down and watch or be a sub if any of us get injured??

Im scared at the thought if trying to get 3:14....sub 3:10 terrifies me!

Malcs glad to hear the launch went ok and youve managed to finally get a good nights sleep. Did you go for a run today in the end? Ive been hungover all day....never drinking again (well as much as I drank last night). Dont think it helped going out at 5:30pm, meeting everyone after work and drinking on an empty stomach after running 15 miles earlier in the day....like my dad says, I will never learn!

I decided to try and keep myself ticking over before starting training for york in July but  I dont think I will be doing anything longer than 15 miles as I dont want to risk injury. Think its helped with having shef half two weeks ago and skye half in a fortnights time to focus on and help keep my milage up.

Sorry to hear about the knee Tigger. On a positive note though, if its your ITB it will get better with rest, stretching and massage. I just hope that it doesnt take too long.  Sounds like your having such a busy week with hospital trips and going back to school. When is your job interview?

Ady put on facebook that he was having problems with shin splints earlier in the week but I havent heard anything else since then

Edited: 25/05/2013 at 22:14
25/05/2013 at 23:18

Sarah - ha, I just can't do that any more. Can't face the thought of spending the next day hungover. You are indeed nuts for doing it after a 15 miler too!

Re, Ady - I sent a text and he said he was en route to SA. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.