ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

A great prize & challenge

2,901 to 2,920 of 4,091 messages
01/06/2013 at 22:50

No I've checked and its more like a turtle, but can't find the pic of the character it reminds me off. 

02/06/2013 at 21:28

Thankyou jen....what are these points for? I think its fantastic that people give up their Saturday morning to marshal for these park runs otherwise all these people wouldn't get out of bed early to stay fit...you deserve more than 100 points.

Maybe I need another bottle of wine Reg!

03/06/2013 at 14:43

Greetings all. Been away in Scotland all week and off the radar.

First off, sorry I can't make the Hen night either. My white cowboy hat and pink diamante crop top (with obligatory lewd dervation of my name on it) is unfortunately still at the dry cleaners

Steve - great to see you back here! I think that does read like more good news than bad. Sounds like the consultant was indeed having a very bad day. So happy that you're managing to get out there and enjoy running again.

RRR - congratulations on your forthcoming wedding. You've really gone for it this year haven't you? A four month public running campaign and then a wedding. Maybe you could squeeze in moving house as well and make it a proper challenge?

Sarah - sub 20! Wow. Shockingly fast running there. I'm only just starting to get back into it after the marathon. Well done! 

Tigger/Angela - liking the sound of this cake business. After Mrs Malcs' giant jaffa cake attempt a few weeks back I spotted that they now sell official Jaffa Cake cakes for £7 in the supermarket! 

DS2 - how are things with you? Done any running since Halstead?

Reg - mighty fine cycling there. How's the ear now? Is it an improvement?

Jen - you're just a one woman marshall and support package! Fantastic stuff. We will probably be down in Llanelli in the summer so we will have to do the parkrun again with you.

You'll be absolutely great in the relay I'm sure. Have a great time.

Clive - hope you had a great holiday. Was the weather kind? And did you manage to get any running in?

Edited: 03/06/2013 at 14:44
04/06/2013 at 07:57

Hi all,

Great round up Malcs!!

Have virtually had a two week break. I've had so much on with work and family that I started stressing over getting my runs in. I decided that even the elite's take a break after one marathon before starting the next campaign so decided to take 10 days off without even thinking about running. I really enjoyed eating and drinking a little without a care - although incredibly I am now 10 pounds heavier than pre-marathon!!!

I had my first run on Sunday which started with 3k with Mrs DS2 at 10mm and then 3 miles at 7:30mm - it felt incredibly tough but enjoyable. Then got out for a hard ride of 17 miles on Sunday.

I was running surprisingly well after the marathon but was worried about burn out and at my age I need to be careful. Unlike Sarah Osborne who goes from strength to strength. Amazing stuff!

Any news on Ady at Comrades?

04/06/2013 at 08:51

Morning everyone! I'm celebrating 4 years of running today  when I bought my first ever running shoes n went for a run!

I'm planning the same run today  but it will be a bit faster!!

04/06/2013 at 09:37

Jen - Many happy returns! I'm sure you will be ALOT faster!

I'm about a year older than you. I remember doing my first 10K at the end of June and having to lie down for all of the rest of the day

DS2 - I used to think it was a big waste taking time off, now I think it's essential. I did hardly any running at the end of last year and ended up with my best marathon time. I'm sure it wasn't the main reason for this but it clearly didn't have a negative effect.

I'm only just starting to get back into running properly again now. My mad working has subsided and we got the software completed in time. Here's the vid for the product if anyone is interested. We did all the software parts (in the Control It section nearer the end.

Edited: 04/06/2013 at 09:58
04/06/2013 at 13:25

Malcs - I always had the impression you were talented but now that's proof. Although the name of "Lynxmotion Servo Erector" does conjure up some other thoughts!!!  The ear is fine now, got rid of the buzzing which was getting annoying.

DS2 - I'm with you on the weight issue, I put on 7lbs after Brighton and can't shift it. Bloody summertime coming along with its cold ciders!!!

04/06/2013 at 16:21

Thanks Reg. Ha, yes, they definitely didn't think through the name enough. Good to hear your lugs are fine now. Buzzing in the ear would drive me nuts.

I don't seem to gained much weight since April thankfully. However, that could all change as I do seem to be fancying a beer a bit more now that the weather has improved. Hard to resist at the end of a warm sunny day!

04/06/2013 at 19:54

Hey guys! Congratulations jen!!!

Still not running! But have bought my first wetsuit today!! Off to swim in a lake near sheffield on thursday can not wait!

04/06/2013 at 22:59

Malcs  I reckon you should wear that hat at TR24!

DS2 my legs have let me down today...although its the first time since I can rememebr. Was only planning on running 4 miles but they felt like lead and just didnt want to work, so I gave up at 3 miles. The plan was 3 miles tomorrow and then rest for my HM on saturday. Just hope that there feeling better by then. Im so not use to it and hope its to do with wearing flat shoes all day at work and not for any other reason such as burn out or if im coming down with something (come in to contact with a few nasty bugs today).

Im planning on a 6 day rest after isle of skye. I havent had one yet and thought that I had better before I start training properly for York. I cant believe that you put 10lb on from just resting for 10 days...im worried now about resting!

Happy birthday Jen and happy running anniversary, hope youve had a fantastic day and a wonderful celebratory run.

Reg.youve made my mouth water for a berry cider now.

Tigger I go running around treeton dyke . Wish I was in sheffield whilst your there so we could have met up. Hope you have an enjoyable swim...if swimming out doors can be enjoyable. 

04/06/2013 at 23:04

Malcs its fantastic, I Iove it...would have taken me years to do anything like that.

04/06/2013 at 23:27

Forgot to say Ady put on Facebook that he completed comrades in 10:53:05, was in the top third, hardest race he has ever ran!

05/06/2013 at 09:00

Tigger - "Off to swim in a lake near sheffield on thursday can not wait!", words you will never, ever hear me say  Enjoy!

Sarah - thanks, feels like it's taken years for us to do it too! Re. the hat, if it's sunny I will need something to keep my bonce from burning so you never know

Is Skye the HM you're doing? (sorry, being lazy and not reading back)

I'm sure your leg issue is just a blip. You'll be fine by the weekend. Targetting another PB?

Great news about Ady. I know he was hoping for sub 9 but I had read elsewhere that it was a really tough one this year - very hot and windy. 

05/06/2013 at 09:46

Flicked on the TV last night and just happened to be on Sky Sports where they were showing coverage of a race called Xtreme Storm. Anyone heard of it?

http://www.xtremestorm.com

I noticed they had the complete programme on their web site so here it is:

Anyway it was quite amazing. I've heard of a few events like this before but didn't really register what they involved. I was about to say let's do it to Mrs Malcs when they got to the pit of rotten fish with razor wire on top and that was it. I can handle physical pain but I can't bear getting dirty (footwear excepted). I won't let the kids within 10 feet of me if they have sticky hands. No joke.

Edited: 05/06/2013 at 09:47
05/06/2013 at 16:15

Malcs lets do it! It looks awesome! 

05/06/2013 at 16:54

I can't Tigger - it's the fish...just think of the fish!

I felt a little bile enter my oesophagus just imagining it.

06/06/2013 at 12:23

I'm with you on that one Malcs!! Ewww!

Sarah, I have no idea what the points you accumulate in parkruns get you, anyone else know?

I had good run with club last eve, but it was so warm, it was amazing along the beach. I can now confirm I do have a downhill leg on the weekend relay   I'm excited and nervous, I keep dreaming about that car of shame on my tail playing the 'jaws' music!! 

DS2, Reg, you've made me feel a whole lot better about the 2lbs I've put on since easter!

Enjoy the swim Tigger, hope its as warm there as here.

06/06/2013 at 14:46

Hi Malcs the HM is skye...cant wait now. Only half a day left to go at work and then thats it! Not aiming for a HM PB as I think the course will be too tough, but a course PB would be good. My legs are back to full working order...I blame the shoes...now I need to buy new ones .

Will have to look at that video later after work as my PM clinic is about to start....I like a bit of a challenge even if it does involve rotten fish!!

Jen good luck this weekend, hope you enjoy it, although I have no doubts that you will. I have only ran along the beach twice and loved it....im so jealous of you and your runs.

Thankyou Clive for kindly sponsoring me for the three peaks challenge, im so grateful. Hope you had a nice holiday ???

I might not be able to get on here over the next week (depending on internet access) so I would just like to wish those racing good luck and everyone else happy running

06/06/2013 at 16:41

Afternoon!

Eek! Good luck Jen!! Hope it goes really well!!

Good luck Sarah too!! Hope you have a blast!!

I'm off to do Endure 24 and sit around in the sunshine!! Woo!

06/06/2013 at 17:49

Hi all.........just returned back to sunny old England and see I have a lot of catching up to do on this forum page. Hopefully with Mrs. Shady catching up on the beauty sleep, I'll have chance later today .

I just about survived Comrades. Very happy to have finished it and got my bronze medal. With the heat, head wind and more or less constant up hills for the first 27 miles, there was never a chance of going sub 9. I think I was being a little optimistic.

I started getting leg cramps from just after halfway, which meant I found it almost impossible to run during the 2nd half without cramping up. As you got the same medal for finishing between 9-11 hrs, I decided damage limitation was the best philosophy and just make sure I got home under 11 hrs - which I just about did in 10:53:05. 

Unbelievable race though. Hopefully next time there won't be quite as much walking involved! I'll post more later.......I have a suitcase of running clothes that require a serious wash!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.