ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

A great prize & challenge

321 to 340 of 4,093 messages
seren nos    pirate
23/11/2012 at 16:51

i think this year the RW team has made a good change........letting those selected tell everyone that they are going to bootcamp.....

it means that you can start to post on here and start to get a feel for the place.start to form friendships and ask questions.......

just seems to be flowing better this year than the previous ones

and hopefully as you get to know each other even if you are not one of the final selected 5 then you will still post on the threads of the lucky few

23/11/2012 at 17:32
Ds2, I've stayed in quality hotel twice. good choice.

thanks for the advice re threads seren nos. it makes good sense.
(oops my predictive text just typed serenity , lucky I noticed before pressed send!)
23/11/2012 at 18:08
Oh thanks Jen. That's good to know. Is it far from the sports centre?
23/11/2012 at 18:35

I'm thinking along the lines of a hotel, a 2.5 hr drive isn't too appealing, and the trains are nearly £70! Thats a bit of an outlay so close to xmas. 

There are some really good tips on here so thanks everyone. 

I'm probably not much good with tips myself being relatively new to running (just under a year) and and have only been to Birmingham a handful of times.

The only tip I can offer is if you are  travelling from S Wales (like me) the train direct from Newport actually stops at the university on the way to New Street, so could save some time and money.

It looks like it will be a dodgy M5 travelodge for me.  

Absolutely can't wait now. Less than a week to go. 

23/11/2012 at 21:18
Ds2 think it about 30min walk /5min taxi to uni campus
Edited: 23/11/2012 at 21:42
seren nos    pirate
23/11/2012 at 21:45

hair of the dog.have you done any of the newport park runs 

24/11/2012 at 10:36

jenf - that doesn't sound too bad! Feeling glad I've booked it now. Thanks for the info.

25/11/2012 at 14:43
just want to say I've just run first MT10! wind rain mud n sand. Really hard..... but I loved it!
25/11/2012 at 19:50

jenf - I had to look that up, is that the one in Pembrey country park? My wife is from Llanelli so I know Cefin Sidan very well - amazing setting for a race!

Currently online hovering on the buy button for a 5:55 train departure on Friday morning, can't quite bring myself to click
25/11/2012 at 20:09
yep that the one! a few miles of the race was on the beach...fab views. My legs are a bit achey now though!
25/11/2012 at 20:31

I would just like to say thanks to everyone for their advice especially Seren for the tips on threads. Am really looking forward to Friday now and hopefully the weather will behave. Fingers crossed.

Jenf that race looks amazing, all those different terrains it must have been a challenge? I thought I was brave tackling the ice doing the park run yesterday!

Malcs just click on the buy button. You can always sleep on the way there and back!

25/11/2012 at 20:34
my weather app has a big Sun for Friday!
25/11/2012 at 20:51
Knight Rider / Choisty, what sort of weekly mileage did the RW team have you running last year to achieve your great times?

Only 5 sleeps left, feel like a little kid all over again! Really looking forward to meeting you all
25/11/2012 at 22:20

Hi all.......I've just spent a very pleasurable hour reading through all these posts. Like a few that have previously commented, I am also an ex-lurker! I've also been shortlisted to attend bootcamp this Friday and from reading these posts I've been changing between being super excited and having butterflies from nerves. Thanks everybody for sharing your advice. I'm a little worried that I haven't done anywhere near enough speed training this year, but there's not a lot I can do about it now. I'll be coming up from Surrey the night before and plan to stay near New Street Station so it'll be an easy commute to bootcamp Friday morning. Looking forward to seeing you all there 

25/11/2012 at 22:23
welcome to the forum Adrian
25/11/2012 at 23:13

Thanks for the push Stan - all done! Roll on Friday!

25/11/2012 at 23:44

Sills, I think the average mileage built up to around 50 - 55 miles per week over 6 runs

seren nos    pirate
26/11/2012 at 08:00

Adrian.hi..i would avoid all spedwork this week..will keep you fresh and more inmportantly...injury free

26/11/2012 at 08:06

Morning all!!  Train ticket purchased! only 4 sleeps to go........ well 3 sleeps and 1 nervous/exciting have I packed what I need, will my alarm clock go off in time, what will be doing, will they like me, dont forget my trainers sort of night!!

Hey Adrian looking forward to meeting everyone at boot camp!! I think we are all in the same boat, have I done enough of this that or the other!!

26/11/2012 at 08:20

Welcome Adrian,

As G&WT says, I think we're all in the same boat. I've done no speedwork yet because I've been concentrating on base building. I don't think it's purely going to be based on who can run fastest. They'll take everything into account I would imagine. I'm sure Choisty and Knight rider will vouch for that.

I'm certainly not going to risk injury (done that too many times). I've deliberately stayed away from speedwork so far even though it's my favourite aspect of the training.

Look forward to meeting you there!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.