ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

A great prize & challenge

3,441 to 3,460 of 4,103 messages
02/10/2013 at 23:55

Ok cross post there Sarah so I missed your TR24 bit. So what happened to the solo idea then?

03/10/2013 at 08:43

Morning all!!!!

I've been shamed into a return by Malcs! Glad to see the enthusiasm carries on. Wish I could say the same for myself but, alas, not the case.

I have had another month of rest trying to get my knee fully recovered before commencing VLM training. It has been frustrating to say the least but other aspects of my life have been so busy I haven't had too much time to dwell on it. The good news is that I have sat on my bike on the TT twice this week and worked up a fine sweat without any reaction to the knee so I will give running a go at the weekend and hope I'm through it.

I will have a good read back at some point but I understand TR24 planning is up and running and Tigger is the one to liaise with. I just need to check dates around cycling events and family holidays but hope to be there.

Keep up the good work and especially those in the taper for their autumn marathons.

03/10/2013 at 09:26

Yippee!! DS2 is back . You HAVE to do TR24- bring the family along

03/10/2013 at 11:14

Sarah "28 week marathon plan, wow....your certainly made of stronger stuff than me Angela !"

Sarah, its all that KFC I eat... if its good enough for Bolt, its good enough for me!!

Those with injuries, I have discovered an injury curing miracle!  I sometimes have an issue, which I think starts in my lower back, and can cause tightness all the way down the back of my left leg- I think this is what has caused me a calf tear in the past.  Anyway, I had been struggling with it the last couple of days with a particularly tight knot in my glute, which no stretching was going to get out.  I had resigned myself to waiting for it to be fixed in my sports massage next tuesday.  Last night before bed I did a couple of glute stretches, but I was very cold when I got into bed, so as well as the duvet, I covered myself in a very fluffy blanket.  I woke up thoroughly dehydrated (I guess due to overheating), but all the tightness in my leg had gone... I call  this oven treatment- sleep in an oven overnight to cure muscular aches and pains

I did my run last night in London - more technical work, so I'll paste my blog post if you're interested: http://longroadtoboston2016.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/week-1-of-marathon-training-wednesday.html Essentially 4 and a half miles with 2 at my race pace - found the pace work hard, but I have 28 weeks, so not fretting...

Malcs, you're supposed to be talking me out of this craziness!!!! Would be good to know if Alun is doing it too?!? We could all go for a pub lunch in Dedham on the Sunday?

For those in the taper, perhaps take a look at this: http://www.running-physio.com/tapertantrum/ Clive when is your race?  After a good night's sleep last night, I'm ok now- was definitely feeling rather tired, and all the screeen staring over the last week has caused my eyes to become pretty sore.

Mr P, I'm sure the sniffles will go away by race morning, but if not, I'm sure sleeping in an oven cures colds as well

DS2, I hope you have a fab run on the weekend, but remember, no heroics! Don't try to smash it, you know this... but as a runner, sometimes we need to be told by others 

03/10/2013 at 13:12

DS2!!  Yeah! so your VLM birthday bash is you n us girlies  Hope your run goes well on weekend. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Malcs I hope the massage this afternoon helps. Mine was ace last week,  I've also been working a golfball under my foot every day and I definately feel that loosen things aswell.

Well I love this thread for all it teaches me, I never realized chocolate counted as carb loading!! Thanks Mr P

Sarah, I'd blame increase in speed for the toe probs, I know I don't run as a fast as you, but it was always after my speed session I developed black toe nails. But since wearing injinji toe socks I've been fine! Glad your sticking with wts, I've got a session this eve which I'm really looking forward to, you can't beat a good dead lift!

My advice to you Clive is have a massage and a large glass of wine!

Angela, you're certainly starting your training off with a bang! If you do all the programme says you will deserve that PB!

03/10/2013 at 16:04

DS2 - great to hear you're ready to start training again. I have everything crossed for you. Please do give TR24 serious consideration. Also, it's best to try and get there on the Friday if you can. Once the running is underway on Saturday you don't get to see everyone all at the same time.

Angela - confirmed, Alun is doing that race!

I will give your 'oven method' a go tonight and see how it goes

Jen - massage was great thanks Jen. It was preceeded by a not particularly pain free 6 miler. I got very frustrated and caned the last 2 miles in anger. Not very sensible as the calf and foot were quite sore after. However, the massage allieviated the pain. 

The thought is that I may have torn something back in July and the scar tissue is stopping part of the muscle from stretching fully. I have booked sessions for Monday and Thursday in an attempt to blitz it. My last throw of the dice before York.

03/10/2013 at 16:12

DS2- welcome back!  sounds like things have been full on for you this summer, and that the cycling has been more of a focus. Glad the injury has settled and good luck for the run this weekend. Sorry that I can't join you and the girls for VLM, but will be cheering you all on.

Angela- Thanks for the links. Certainly I think I need to take a chill pill, take on board that anything I do now is not likely to affect my fitness, and try to rest the heel. I am annoyed at myself for yesterday, since feel the heel is worse today. My hamstring feels tight on that side and not sure if that is from 'limping' to try and take weight off it  The workout with gliding sounds quite interesting- I can imagine its a nightmare on crowded London streets!  I might try it after Cologne though for a change. The marathon is on 13th October. The start time is 11.30 as the half marathon goes earlier- wouldn't the other way round be more sensible?- so trying to plan my morning routine. I don't tend to sleep all that well in hotels anyway, especially before a race so need to occupy my time. Kindle and stretching??

Jen- I will take that advice!!

toe socks- how many people use them? do they feel odd to wear? Are they better than normal socks? Should I get some urgently before cologne??

03/10/2013 at 20:34

Clive, nothing is urgent pre Cologne, stick with what you know!!!!!

04/10/2013 at 10:07

Clive - you said it yourself. Just relax, take a break and get some well earned rest. Seriously, you have to look after that heel or any fitness gained will be down the toilet. If you didn't run at all between now and the 13th you'd still be absolutely fine on race day. 

So yes, take an overdose of chill pills, rest and ice that heel and look forward to some serious carbo loading! 

Angela - forgot to try your heat wrap injury solution last night. Will have to do it over the weekend now. 

28 weeks does seem a long way off but it'll soon creep up. Sounds like you've made a decent start. I think building up slowly over a long period has alot to be said for it. 

Jen - last long run this weekend? Taper starts next week does it not? You've done really well so if this is the last long one make sure you enjoy it and don't push too hard. You've earned this taper big time.

Sarah - been thinking about your TR24 dilemma. I was having similar thoughts about what to go for. For me there's not much difference between pairs and solo in that I think I'd end up doing the same number of laps whichever option I went for.

The main difference would be that in a pair you'd have to coordinate with your partner. In that respect I think solo would be easier because you could take a break if you need it without affecting anyone.

So aside from the cost difference, I think solo is better than pairs.

Your choice then is between solo and team. I guess it then depends on lap targets. First off bear in mind that a team of 3-5 is about £240. If you run it as a 3 then it's more per person than going solo! You might as well take the solo option and have breaks when you want.

So let's assume it's a team of 4 at least. At roughly an hour per lap that's 6 laps each. If you aim to do more than this then you need other runners who are aiming to do less than that. This worked for me last year because I wanted to do 8 but Alex and Claire only wanted to do 2 or 3. 

If your aim is to do as many laps as you can (8+ say) then go solo. Whilst attempting 8 last year was possible within my team I felt like everyone was haveing to bend to accommodate me. So going solo means that nobody has to do that.

If you're more interested in running fewer laps at speed then go for a team of 4+. 

As you can see, I really havenn't thought about this much

04/10/2013 at 10:12

What's going on - no edit button any more? I pressed reply by mistake before finishing. Mr P, that means you get a whole post to yourself

How is the cold today? First day on the carboloading for you - is the fruit and nut open yet?

Weather looks like being dry with sunny spells, 15-18 degrees. How does that suit you? Alot of people would call that ideal conditions. Personally, it's about 10 degrees warmer than I'd like it.

best of luck with the food fest!

04/10/2013 at 10:21

Hi all,

Thanks for the welcome back! Sorry to see the niggles for those leading up to marathon day. Being an expert on this subject, as Malcs will tell you, could some of it be 'Taper madness'?

Really meant to catch up yesterday but another bliddy 14 hour day at work had other ideas. Will do my best over the weekend.

Clive - don't do anything new!!!

Tigger - I have PM'd you!

Cycle tonight, run  tomorrow! Feeling a little excited rather than apprehensive. Perhaps a good sign?

04/10/2013 at 11:38

Good luck to Mr P, and RRR running their respective marathons this Sunday!  I wish you a successful carbo loading, and an even better race! Very Jealous!  I want race reports people!

My run last night was 45 mins easy- was supposed to have hill repeats, but I couldn't be bothered, so just did an easy run:  4.3 miles.  Avg pace: 10:06.  Done at home, so needed my headtorch.  Really enjoyed this actually.  'I own the night' and all that.  After I'd eaten and chilled for a bit, I ordered some motivational wristbands (like RRRhelp me toward my goal,  "You can give more", "How much do you want a GFA?", "Each step is 1 closer to a BQ".  I'm thinking of getting some more done, so would like some suggestions.

Malcs did Alun do the inaugral race?  There are already 14 entries and the entry limit is pretty low 100, or 150.  I think I would rather do another trail marathon, and save the ultra for another year though.  Don't want to run so much that I'm put off doign the Bacchus Marathon in September!  As for heat treatment, beware, you can develop an unhealthy attachement to your blanket.  Its so soft and snuggly I almost didn't get out of bed this morning!

Clive, I think you need to do something to take your mind off it all - go get a massage? or play a video game... or watch Run Fat Boy Run??

DS2  good luck in your run this weekend.  Looking forward to hearing how it goes

04/10/2013 at 12:07

Angela - he didn't do the first one, he ws supposed to but after knackering his leg at TR24 he had to pull out. Instead he marshalled it. Might be the right call to leave it a bit longer and focus on yor marathon goals.

Warning heeded re. blanket

Re. wristbands, you have to have Minni's "Don't be shit" for a start!

DS2 - I think it is a good sign that you're looking forward to it. Really hope it goes well for you. 

Yes Clive, I went totally mental in taper last time - to the point where I had to go and lie down in a darkened room! Don't make the same mistake.

04/10/2013 at 13:41

To help me in my laziness can someone let me know who's running where and their target times for the forthcoming marathons please?

04/10/2013 at 13:54

6/10 - Mr P Chester (3:30), RRR, Bournemouth - she STOLE my place!!! 

13/10 - Clive - Cologne, (don't let the taper madness get me...)

20/10 - Sarah (beat her dad) and Malcs in York

Jenf - Snod, but I don't know when that one is...

04/10/2013 at 14:01

Thanks Angela. Most helpful. I 'm looking forward to some fast times - I need something to motivate me!!!

04/10/2013 at 14:12

My aim is to start and finish York, beyond that there is no goal

Snowdon is 26/10 I think.

04/10/2013 at 15:13

Malcs - sometimes that is all that matters. You've had one great performance this year and if you are able to run a marathon at this time of year in any time it puts you in a good place to start marathon training for the spring!

04/10/2013 at 15:38

Thanks Angela for the vote of confidence in my mental state

04/10/2013 at 15:51

I have decided to run for Macmillan cancer support; if anyone would be kind enough to sponsor me I'd really appreciate it.

ive set up a just giving page.  www.justgiving.com/clivekelty 

DS- re times- I had secretly harboured dreams of a 3:15 ie GFA/BQ but that is beyond me now with the heel injury. Whilst I ran a pb at GNR 3 weeks ago of 1:31:15, I don't think I could extend that for the full 26.2. If I get round in under 3:30 I'll be delighted. Are you looking forward to the run at the weekend?

Mr P- GOOD LUCK FOR SUNDAY, AND NAIL THE 3:30!!!

all sent from the comfort of a darkened room Malcs

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.