ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

A great prize & challenge

681 to 700 of 4,092 messages
04/12/2012 at 10:50

SB - I've PM'd you with the info so you can reminisce.

How did you cope with the week of voting? Most of us seem to be nervous wrecks already! 

04/12/2012 at 10:57

Sleepy Bear - if you could remember we could all copy it!!!!

I think people are always happy to make judgements about people - it's human nature. Some of the criticism we might receive will be fair and some will not. I work in a profession where it's best not to judge without the full facts. I think anyone putting themselves forward for this competition is doing something they should be proud of - only a very small percentage of the population ever run a marathon after all.

There will, inevitably, be those who get upset at those selected but as long as we treat the comments with respect and answer honestly I think that is as much as we can do - even if we have to hold our hands up and admit we could have done better!

04/12/2012 at 11:21

LOLOLOL - I've just seen it (Thanks Malcs) - yea gads - please people - do not, I repeat DO NOT copy it - what a load of pish!

If nothing else, even if you don't get through, going through the voting process is a good character building exercise!  Malcs there is no easy answer I'm afraid - but if you weren't excited about the whole concept you'd be crossed straight off my list of potentials-to-vote-for! 

So as not to build up 'losing' in your heads - why not start thinking of a consolation prize for yourself to reward yourself for getting this far and take the sting out of not getting through the vote.  I didn't start thinking about it til near the end of the process - then I bought myself some snazzy purple shoes (and which i still call my 26.2s).

DS2 - it's sad but true and I agree - it's tricky for us voting too as we know it's hard to see the full picture just from a snapshot and what happens/changes throughout the training period can be a let down or complete transformation of what you thought you knew.

Don't worry about making mistakes (and learn to laugh at yourself if you do make any - it's not life or death after all) and get stuck in - you all seem a really good bunch and I'm looking forward to learning more about you.

Wednesday you say - right - best get my work out of the way so that I can spend tomorrow on you lot

04/12/2012 at 11:23

We will all have to make sure that we put enough positive comments on here to dilute and overshadow any unhealthy critism or unkind words. Fingers crossed though there wont be much of it this year or in furture years (and if there are, im putting my thick coat on and going for a run)! 

04/12/2012 at 11:25

how about a running holiday if we dont get through...there have been a few advertised in Runners World that look amazing. Winter sun and running, what more could you ask for ?

04/12/2012 at 11:39

Many thanks SB. Not sure that purple shoes will suit me - I'll leave those to RRR and her ever increasing following of floursescent sock wearers

Sarah - great idea, though I think Mrs Malcs might need some convincing. The TR24 in July has been mooted but it's a long way off. 

04/12/2012 at 11:44

Sarah - that's an amazing idea!! We were talking about a running holiday on Friday! I'll come! Just the thought of running in the sunshine sounds AMAZING! I'm sick of this mud-up-to-my-ankles lark!

Thats a fab idea SB ... ! Love the idea of a well done for getting this far!

04/12/2012 at 11:46

I'm not feeling the sock-love Malcs! Maybe that should be my tactic ... pink socks for ALL!

04/12/2012 at 11:50

The most important thing to remember is.......

my votes can be bought 

04/12/2012 at 11:54

Ha ha Tenjiso!

What about your experience from Bootcamp last year? Any tips?

04/12/2012 at 12:07

How much Tenjiso?

04/12/2012 at 12:11

Now, now Sarah!!! You never struck me that way!

How much Tenjiso?

I'd love to do a running holiday, but like Mrs Malcs, Mrs DS2 might not be too happy, especially since I'm already booked out to ride LEJOG in 10 days in August 2013.

I can't afford a divorce!

04/12/2012 at 12:16

Hey all. Congratulations to all those who got through, appears our best banterers RRR and Malcs will make for some interesting forum entries in the future and I look forward to reading your election pieces !
Great to see both palsamcymru and shady_Ady getting the nod, just hope you're not both in the same category as that will make my voting even harder!
I didn't make the cut so will have to settle for a consulation run with the club this eve and make plans for next year, my single pink sock won't be half mast for long.....

Goodluck to the remaining few

04/12/2012 at 12:17

Weeeeeelllllll.....I do need some new trainers 

Last years winners all paid me the most.  Fact.

RRR - I'm not an ex-bootcamper.  Probably the only one on RW who isn't I think (hear those violins playing).

04/12/2012 at 12:23

Sorry to hear that there's no chance of matching pink socks at Paris Jimmers Maybe next year...

Sorry Tenjiso. I've chatted to you on the Au Revoir Cobbles thread a couple of times and assumed ... Anyhow, back to business ... you take Euros?

seren nos    pirate
04/12/2012 at 12:29

I will repeat this for the ones who have joined the thread recently............if its like previous years you might well expect quite a lot of moaning from some of the regulars..........this isn't really personal so don't take up the bait........

there is always a lot of remarks because the competition is open to all but because RW want to bring in new people .those shortlisted are usually much more likely to be new people on the forum than those who have been here for years ..............

so its seems like being a regular on the forums isn't rewarded at all.................a bit like you going to your local pub for years supporting it and then they give out free meals and drinks to newcomers and not the regulars...

this debate always goes on each year and never changes much....so i would remind you all that if it comes up again just don't take it personally.......

and people might ask some interesting questions just to try and know you more and to see if you are the type of character that they might want to follow on the threads............try and be yourself.............

and DS2.i would love to do LEJOG one year..

04/12/2012 at 12:38

Haha DS2....looks can be deceiving!

I would love to do LEJOG, its been a dream of my dads for years but he no longer runs so ive taken it over from him. You will have to start a thread on this. I would love to follow your journey-can note down tips for when I have a go at it myself one year.

RRR, im going to hit start fitness in newcastle at the weekend to get me a pair of these infamous socks!

Anyone done the national three peaks?

04/12/2012 at 12:44

Completely understandable Seren. I think we'd probably all feel a bit aggrieved in that situation.

LEJOG? I thought it was some kind of French fun run until I looked it up. I assume you're running it DS2 and not taking the coward's way out on wheels 

04/12/2012 at 12:47

Thanks for advice Seren. Will definitely keep it in mind when people start throwing the rotten tomatoes

Sarah - I haven't done the National 3 Peaks, but I've done the Yorkshire 3 Peaks. (Whernside, Ingleborough and Pen-y-ghent) Did it a couple of years ago and walked it in 10 hours ... but I'd like to go back and run the route at some point. Have you done the National 3 Peaks?

DS2 - Exciting about LEJOG! WOuld love to see a write up of it when you've completed it! 

04/12/2012 at 12:48

RRR - I'm just a groupie.  Hoping some of the fame and fortune will rub off on me.

Hopefully, one of this year's categories/winners will have something in common with my Spring Marathon aims.  I got a lot out of following Craig and Emma last year (in a non-stalkeresque kind of fashion).  

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.