ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

A great prize & challenge

761 to 780 of 4,093 messages
seren nos    pirate
04/12/2012 at 20:35

Steve great news.enjoy your celebrations....

emma.will done .you will be so hooked after the first tri that you will be doing Ironman before you know it 

Clive........jobs i don't like...........anyone who works with PPI........lawyers.....second hand car salesmen.........hairdressers............politicians.....tabloid journalists...........i'm sure i will think of some more soon........

alcohol is good

04/12/2012 at 21:05

Any advice Seren for a total newbie? I will have to use my hybrid (get new peddles with cleats) for first few before I start investing. WHat is an acceptable time for a 400m pool swim?

Love the pool training so far - on christmas list .... pool flippers (the mini ones), pull float and paddles

04/12/2012 at 21:09

Yo Ems ((( )))

Check you out getting all techincal with pool toys! 

seren nos    pirate
04/12/2012 at 21:17

Em don't worry about times.its like races.there will always be those quicker and those slower..............i used my hybrid for my first and then entered  a middle 4 weeks later and had to get a road bike and a wetsuit.......but they were used for 3 more years and still good......

I hate pool swimming and will swim in the river when ever possible.last year i swam all through the winter as part of my master plan.but this year i am going to go to teh pool again .even though i hate it 

for all those doing marathons.swimming and cycling are great ways to cross train 

04/12/2012 at 21:27

Seren- have you done lots of tris? I was thinking of doing some next year as have done a bit of open water swimming and bought a wetsuit recently. Where do you swim in the river in the winter??

04/12/2012 at 21:28
Blinking 'eck. Back from funeral to find this has turned into a tri thread!!! Hope I didn't cause that with my talk of cycling LEJog.

If only I was a decent swimmer....
04/12/2012 at 21:28

I get stuck in meetings all afternoon and when I come back to the thread I have missed at least 4 pages. Obviously a sign of a good forum thread.

Steve: Congratulations on your degree results.......you really are having a week to beat all weeks. Hopefully it continues. 

Sarah: When I walked LEJOG I had just finished working in China and my wife and I had decided to take the year off work to travel and do this walk for charity. We managed about 14-15 miles a day and camped for the first half or so, before relenting to the luxury of B&Bs for the 2nd half as it got colder and wetter. For a start I know I drove my wife crazy, but I think it actually cemented our relationship as we neared the end and relied on each other for support and motivation. Not sure I'd attempt it again though. Once is enough for me!

I'm intrigued by all this talk of negative comments when we create our own forum page. Hopefully it wont be as frequent this time around. 

seren nos    pirate
04/12/2012 at 21:29

The Taff near cardiff...........it gets very very cold at times though......

not done too many but done a few longer ones.....just love to see what i can achieve.......only do halves and above though

M...eldy    pirate
04/12/2012 at 21:29

Reel 'em in Seren  

04/12/2012 at 21:31

I've never been tempted by a tri before, but it seems for many runners it's almost a natural progression to try one. It's definitely something I'd consider for the future. I just have to do my marathon time justice first.

04/12/2012 at 21:35

Ady- I've done one and really enjoyed it (got talked into it by a friend). I did no real training, borrowed a bike and only got through on the basis of being able to run more than most of the other 'bluffers'. It is a bizarre feeling going from run to bike tho'

DS- Hope today went OK, was thinking about you earlier

04/12/2012 at 21:39

My wife did her first tri this year and loved it (Llanelli sprint tri - were you there seren?)

I was extremely jealous watching on the side lines. The bike and run would be great but I'd have to get swimming lessons - I'm like a fish out of water in errm...in water 

04/12/2012 at 21:41

Clive - You've got me thinking now. The swimming part scares me. My front crawl is atrocious. Was fthe feeling you got when finsihing your first tri different to just a running race?

04/12/2012 at 21:43
Clive, it went as well as these things can. I was really worried about my dad but thankfully he seems to have hot through ok. Thanks for asking.

Then I was late going to pick my daughter up and run out of petrol so was even later. A typical day in my stupidly busy life.

A lot of interest in triathlon on here.
04/12/2012 at 21:46
Malcs - me and you both on the swimming front. I would love to do a tri but I really am rubbish in water

My kids never stop taking the mickey.
04/12/2012 at 21:51
A funny thing happened when I ran out of petrol. A good samaritan stopped to give me a lift when he saw me running along the A2 with a petrol can in hand. As I got in his car he said 'I bet it's a while since you ran that fast'.

Unfortunately, I couldn't think of anything witty to say.
04/12/2012 at 22:00
Congratulations Steve, you must be on cloud 9, what an amazing week for you!

Reginald, bank managers were so last year now, I think lots of people have found other people to dislike more now.....at the moment mines politicians, think their trying to ruin my career plans!

Reg vardy really wouldn't like to meet me on a bad day....think it went bankrupt so they got off lightly!

Some of my friends started doing tris last year and I said I would join them next summer for a few. I've started back on the bike and tried swimming again. Swimming if def my weakness but I've managed to get up to 800m now at front crawl without stopping-my only problem is I don't think I will ever have the confidence to do open water swimming. Worried about animals trying to eat me, swallowing filthy water and drowning! Why type of bike would people recommend for a tri? At the mo I've only got a mountain bike. Is a hybrid ok or would I be better of getting a road bike......I'm sure the cross training will help my marathon training although it will be taking a bit of a back seat until the end of April!
04/12/2012 at 22:03

Really looking forward to seeing everyone's pitches tomorrow and placing votes.

Remember those who didn't get this far, or don't make it all the way, there is the Forum Six coming very soon.  You can make a pitch then 6 very lucky people will be matched with mentors to support them to their goals.  The success rate is very high and its really good fun.

04/12/2012 at 22:04
Shady_ady what was it like in china and where did you go travelling? I would love to take a year out and travel but I think I'm stuck with my career, house and lack of money now! How much did you raise and what charity did you do the LEJOG for? I'm so impressed and jealous of your achievements
04/12/2012 at 22:13

* DS2 there is an adult's tri swim class at the Leisure Centre on a Thursday evening for ALL abilities. The lakes might be a bit too chilly at the moment! I started running because my swimming was fine but my running was terrible and I used to go backwards at the end of a triathlon as all the runners overtook me The last few years my tri's have taken a back seat because I'm enjoying my running so much, who would have thought??!!

* mcs I was thinking on the weekend that anyone who lives in the Peak District must be super fit with all those hills! Gosh, talk about a lovely place to live and train and commute!

Good luck everyone for tomorrow, I can't wait to read your stories

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.